Gas diffusion through columnar laboratory sea ice: implications for mixed-layer ventilation of CO2 in the seasonal ice zone
Version of Record online: 5 OCT 2010
©2010 The Authors Tellus B©2010 International Meteorological Institute in Stockholm
Volume 63, Issue 1, pages 23–39, February 2011
How to Cite
LOOSE, B., SCHLOSSER, P., PEROVICH, D., RINGELBERG, D., HO, D.T., TAKAHASHI, T., RICHTER-MENGE, J., REYNOLDS, C.M., MCGILLIS, W.R. and TISON, J.-L. (2011), Gas diffusion through columnar laboratory sea ice: implications for mixed-layer ventilation of CO2 in the seasonal ice zone. Tellus B, 63: 23–39. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0889.2010.00506.x
- Issue online: 7 JAN 2011
- Version of Record online: 5 OCT 2010
- Accepted manuscript online: 3 SEP 2010 01:43AM EST
- (Manuscript received 30 June 2009; in final form 12 August 2010)
- 2004. Measurement and prediction of the oxygen diffusion coefficient in unsaturated media, with applications to soil covers. Water Air Soil Pollut. 156, 163–193. , and
- 1974. Nucleation and growth of bubbles at an ice-water interface. J. Glaciol. 13, 489–520. and
- 2002. The solubility of sulfur hexafluoride in water and seawater. Deep-Sea Res. Part A—Oceanogr. Res. Papers 49, 175–187. , and
- 1998. Observations of brine drainage networks and microstructure of first-year sea ice. J. Geophys. Res. 103, 21739–21750. and
- 1983. Equations for determining the gas and brine volumes in sea-ice samples. J. Glaciol. 29, 306–316. and
- 1988. Numerical simulations of the profile properties of undeformed first-year sea ice during the growth season. J. Geophys. Res. 93, 12449–12460. and
- 1987. Oxygen supersaturation in the ocean: biological versus physical contributions. Science 235, 199–202. and
- 2007. Biogas (CO2, O2, dimethylsulfide) dynamics in spring Antarctic fast ice. Limnol. Oceanogr. 52, 1367–1379. , , , and
- 1967. Equations for determining the brine volume of sea ice from −0.5 °C to −22.9 °C. J. Glaciol. 6, 943–944. and
- 1998. The percolation phase transition in sea ice. Science 282, 2238–2241. , and
- 2006. Void bounds for fluid transport in sea ice. Mech. Mater. 38, 801–817. , , and
- 2007. Thermal evolution of permeability and microstructure in sea ice. Geophys. Res. Lett. 34, doi: 10.1029/2007GL030447. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1976. Gas movement through sea-ice. Nature 263, 41–42. , and
- 1990. The anatomy of a freezing lead. J. Geophys. Res. 95, 18221–18232. , , and
- 1995. Bacteria in sea ice and underlying water of the eastern Weddell Sea in midwinter. Marine Ecol. Progress Ser. 117, 269–287. and
- 1959. Permeation of gases through ice. Tellus 11, 355–359.
- 1997. The effect of rain on air-water gas exchange. Tellus 49B, 149–158. , , and
- 2006. Gas transport parameters in the vadose zone: gas diffusivity in field and lysimeter soil Profiles. Vadose Zone J. 5, 1194–1204. , , , , and co-authors.
- 1995. Measurement of the diffusion coefficient of sulfur hexafluoride in water. J. Geophys. Res. 100, 7083–7088. and
- 1990. Bacterial biomass and production in pack ice of Antarctic marginal ice edge zones. Deep-Sea Res. 37, 1311–1330. and
- 2003. Effects of temperature on the microstructure of first-year Arctic sea ice. J. Geophys. Res. 108, doi: 10.1029/2001JC000887. , and
- 2009. The effects of freezing, growth and ice cover on gas transport processes in laboratory seawater experiments. Geophys. Res. Lett. 36, doi: 10.1029/2008GL036318. , , , and
- 2004. Three-porosity model for predicting the gas diffusion coefficient in undisturbed soil. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 68, 750–759. , , , and
- 1975. Psychrophylic bacteria. Bacteriol. Rev. 39, 144–167.
- 2009. Desalination processes of sea ice revisited. J. Geophys. Res. 114, doi: 10.1029/2008JC004885. and
- 1977. A laser interferometric study of the diffusion of O2, N2, H2 and Ar into water. Can. J. Chem. 55, 1415–1421. and
- 2003. Experimental evidence for carbonate precipitation and CO2 degassing during ice formation. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 68, 1749–1761. , , , and
- 1996. A quantitative description of sea ice inclusions. J. Geophys. Res. 101, 18327–18343. and
- 1976. Phase relationships in sea ice as a function of temperature. J. Glaciol. 17, 507–519.
- 2000. The influence of Antarctic sea ice on glacial-interglacial CO2 variations. Nature 404, 171–174. and
- 2009. Climatological mean and decadal change in surface ocean pCO2, and net sea-air CO2 flux over the global oceans. Deep-Sea Res. Part II 56, 554–577. , , , , and co-authors.
- 2007. Gas-phase diffusive tracer test for the in-situ measurement of tortuosity in the vadose zone. Water Air Soil Pollut. 184, 355–362. , , and
- 2002. Tank study of physico-chemical controls on gas content and composition during growth of young sea ice. J. Glaciol. 48, 177–191. , , , and
- 1999. Variation of atmospheric CO2 by ventilation of the ocean's deepest water. Paleoceanography 14, 572–588.
- 1997. Morphological determination of pore connectivity as a function of pore size using serial sections. Eur. J. Soil Sci. 48, 365–377.
- 1987. Gas exchange on Mono Lake and Crowley Lake, California. J. Geophys. Res. 92, 14567–14580. , , and
- 1991. Analysis of sulfur hexafluoride in seawater. J. Geophys. Res. 96, 8733–8740. , and
- 2003. The use of Fick's Law for modeling trace gas diffusion in porous media. Transport Porous Media 51, 327–341. and
- 1982. Use of atmospheric fluorocarbons F-11 and F-12 to determine the diffusion parameters of the unsaturated zone in the Southern High Plains of Texas. Water Resources Res. 18, 1365–1378. , , and
- 1970. The solubility of nitrogen, oxygen and argon in water and seawater. Deep-Sea Res. 17, 721–735.
- 2003. In situ method to measure effective and sorption-affected gas-phase diffusion coefficients in soils. Environ. Sci. Technol. 37, 2502–2510. and
- 2003. Monte-Carlo simulations of surface and gas phase diffusion in complex porous structures. Chem. Eng. Sci. 58, 4605–4617. , and
- 2008. Dimethylsulfide emissions over the multi-year ice of the western Weddell Sea. Geophys. Res. Lett. 35, doi: 10.1029/2007GL031847. , , , and