Notes on Sources: The articles in this report are based on the reference tables in the 2003 OPTN/SRTR Annual Report, which are not included in this publication. Many relevant data appear in figures and tables included here; other tables from the Annual Report that serve as the basis for this article include the following: Tables 9.1, 9.2, and 9.3. These tables are also available online at http://www.ustransplant.org.
Improving liver allocation: MELD and PELD
Article first published online: 14 MAY 2004
American Journal of Transplantation
Volume 4, Issue Supplement s9, pages 114–131, April 2004
How to Cite
Freeman, R. B., Wiesner, R. H., Roberts, J. P., McDiarmid, S., Dykstra, D. M. and Merion, R. M. (2004), Improving liver allocation: MELD and PELD. American Journal of Transplantation, 4: 114–131. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-6135.2004.00403.x
Funding: The Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR) is funded by contract #231-00-0116 from the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). The views expressed herein are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the US Government. This is a US Government-sponsored work. There are no restrictions on its use.
- Issue published online: 14 MAY 2004
- Article first published online: 14 MAY 2004
- 3Minimal criteria for placement of adults on the liver transplant waiting list: a report of a national conference organized by the American Society of Transplant Physicians and the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases . Liver Transplant Surg 1997 ; 3 : 628 – 637 ., , et al .
- 4Surgery and portal hypertension . In : Child , CG III ( eds ). The Liver and Protal Hypertension . Philadelphia : Saunders , 1964 : 50 ., .
- 7United Network for Organ Sharing . Components of the CTP score employed in the previous liver allocation policy . Available at : <http://www.unos.org> accessed July 31, 2002 .
- 8Institute of Medicine. Analysis of waiting times . In : Committee on Organ Transplantation: Assessing Current Policies and the Potential Impact of the DHHS Final Rule . Washington , DC : National Academy Press , 1999 : 57 – 78 .
- 10Organ procurement and transplantation network—HRSA . Final rule with comment period . Federal Register 1998 ; 63 : 16 296 – 16 338 .
- 11Committee on Organ Procurement and Transplantation Policy . Organ Procurement and Transplantation: Assessing Current Policies and the Potential Impact of the DHHS Final Rule . Washington DC : National Academy Press 1999 : 82 .
- 26Survival after first esophageal variceal hemorrhage in patients with biliary atresia . J Pediatr 2001 ; 139 : 1 – 6 ., , , , , .
- 28Validation of PELD severity score in a pediatric transplant candidate database . Am J Transplant 2002 ; 2 ( 3 ): 251 ., , .
- 35Full ECD renal OPTN policy can be found at : http://www.optn.org/policiesAndBylaws/policies.asp , accessed August 8, 2003 .