The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official position of UNOS, AATB or AOPO.
Nucleic Acid Testing (NAT) of Organ Donors: Is the ‘Best’ Test the Right Test? A Consensus Conference Report
Article first published online: 29 JAN 2010
©2010 The Authors Journal compilation©2010 The American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons
American Journal of Transplantation
Volume 10, Issue 4, pages 889–899, April 2010
How to Cite
Humar, A., Morris, M., Blumberg, E., Freeman, R., Preiksaitis, J., Kiberd, B., Schweitzer, E., Ganz, S., Caliendo, A., Orlowski, J. P., Wilson, B., Kotton, C., Michaels, M., Kleinman, S., Geier, S., Murphy, B., Green, M., Levi, M., Knoll, G., Segev, D., Brubaker, S., Hasz, R., Lebovitz, D. J., Mulligan, D., O’Connor, K., Pruett, T., Mozes, M., Lee, I., Delmonico, F. and Fischer, S. (2010), Nucleic Acid Testing (NAT) of Organ Donors: Is the ‘Best’ Test the Right Test? A Consensus Conference Report. American Journal of Transplantation, 10: 889–899. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-6143.2009.02992.x
- Issue published online: 20 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 29 JAN 2010
- Received 28 August 2009, revised 23 November 2009 and accepted for publication 25 November 2009
- 2Patients contract 2 viruses from donor in transplants. New York Times, November 14, 2007..
- 8Sensitivity of two hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus (HCV), and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) nucleic acid test systems relative to hepatitis B surface antigen, anti-HCV, anti-HIV, and p24/anti-HIV combination assays in seroconversion panels. Transfusion 2009; 49: 301–310., , et al.
- 181999 USPHS/IDSA guidelines for the prevention of opportunistic infections in persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus. U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) and Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA). MMWR Recomm Rep 1999; 48(RR-10): 1–59, 61–56.
- 19Nucleic Acid Testing (NAT) for HIV, HBV, and HCV: Current Practices of 58 US Organ Procurement Organizations (OPOs). Am J Transplant 2009; 9(Suppl 2): 555., , , , .
- 24Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guidelines for preventing transmission of human immunodeficiency virus through transplantation of human tissue and organs. MMWR Recomm Rep 1994; 43(RR-8): 1–17.
- 26Public Health Agency of Canada. Epidemiology of Acute Hepatitis C Infection in Canada: Results from the Enhanced Hepatitis Strain Surveillance System (EHSSS). http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/sti-its-surv-epi/pdf/hcv-epi-eng.pdf. Accessed August 25, 2009.
- 28Services USDoHaH. Eligibility Determination for Donors of Human Cells, Tissues, and Cellular and Tissue-Based Products, Final Rule (69 FR 29785, May 25, 2004). Available from: http://www.fda.gov/cber/rules/suitdonor.pdf. Accessed July 15, 2009.
- 29Services USDoHaH. Final Guidance for Industry: Eligibility Determination for Donors of Human Cells, Tissues, and Cellular and Tissue-Based Products (HCT/Ps) dated August 8, 2007. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/cber/>gdlns/tissdonor.pdf. Accessed July 15, 2009.
- 31Viral hepatitis guidelines in hemodialysis and transplantation. Am J Transplant 2004; 4(Suppl 10): 72–82.
- 37Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. HIV incidence among young men who have sex with men–seven U.S. cities, 1994–2000. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2001; 50: 440–444.
- 38Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. HIV prevalence, unrecognized infection, and HIV testing among men who have sex with men–five U.S. cities, June 2004-April 2005. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2005; 54: 597–601.
- 46Prevention and control of infections with hepatitis viruses in correctional settings. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. MMWR Recomm Rep 2003; 52(RR-1): 1–36, quiz CE31–34., , .
- 48COBAS AmpliScreen HCV Test, version 2.0. In: PharmaceuticalsR Roche Diagnostics product monograph; 2005: 1–18..
- 49Procleix HIV-1/HCV Assay, Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics product monograph; 2007: 1–31.
- 52Administration HRaS. Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and Human Pituitary Derived Growth Hormone. 2009; Available from: http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/PoliciesandBylaws2/policies/pdfs/policy_16.pdf. Accessed July 19, 2009.