Transplant Center Provision of Education and Culturally and Linguistically Competent Care: A National Study
Article first published online: 29 NOV 2010
©2010 The Authors Journal compilation©2010 The American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons
American Journal of Transplantation
Volume 10, Issue 12, pages 2701–2707, December 2010
How to Cite
Gordon, E. J., Caicedo, J. C., Ladner, D. P., Reddy, E. and Abecassis, M. M. (2010), Transplant Center Provision of Education and Culturally and Linguistically Competent Care: A National Study. American Journal of Transplantation, 10: 2701–2707. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-6143.2010.03304.x
- Issue published online: 29 NOV 2010
- Article first published online: 29 NOV 2010
- Received 14 July 2010, revised 13 August 2010 and accepted for publication 04 September 2010
- 1U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. 42 CFR Volume 3, part 482. Medicare program; hospital conditions of participation. 2004. Available at: http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_04/42cfr482_04.html. Accessed January 11, 2010.
- 3U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. 42 CFR parts 405, 482, 488, and 498 Medicare program; hospital conditions of participation: Requirements for approval and re-approval of transplant centers to perform organ transplants; final rule, 2007. Available at: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/CertificationandComplianc/downloads/Transplantfinal.pdf. Accessed November 23, 2009.
- 9Primitive culture. London : John Murray, 1871..
- 10U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Minority Health. National standards for culturally and linguistically appropriate services in health care final report. Washington , DC : U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2001.
- 11National Center for Cultural Competence. Georgetown University Center for Child & Human Development, March 2009. Available at: http://www11.georgetown.edu/research/gucchd/nccc/foundations/frameworks.html#lcdefinition. Accessed July 1, 2010.,
- 12LEP.gov, the Website of the Federal Interagency Working Group on Limited English Proficiency. Limited english proficiency: A federal interagency website. Available at: http://www.justice.gov/crt/lep/index.htm. Accessed May 26, 2010.
- 13Institute of Medicine, Committee on Quality of Health Care in America. Crossing the quality chasm: New health system for the 21st century. Washington , DC : National Academies Press, 2001.
- 14BrachC, ed. Setting the agenda for research on cultural competence in health care: Final report. Rockville , MD : U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health and Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2003., , In
- 15U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy people 2010: Understanding and improving health. Washington , DC : U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2000.
- 16UNOS web site 2010 Data. Available at: http://www.unos.org/data/. Accessed February 10, 2010.
- 21Health literacy: A prescription to end confusion. Washington , DC : The National Academies Press, 2004., , .
- 22First look at the literacy of America's adults in the 21st century (NCES 2006–470). Washington , DC : U.S. Department of Education. National Center for Education Statistics, 2005., , .
- 24UNOS/OPTN. United Network for Organ Sharing Transplant Centers Performing Kidney Transplants in the U.S. From January 1, 2000 to February 28, 2010 by Year. Based on OPTN data as of May 14, 2010.
- 25Federal Register. Executive Order 13166 of August 11, 2000 Improving Access to Services for Persons With Limited English Proficiency. Vol. 652000: pp.50121–50125.