The Ethical Complexities of Online Organ Solicitation via Donor–Patient Websites: Avoiding the “Beauty Contest”
Article first published online: 22 SEP 2011
©Copyright 2011 The American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons
American Journal of Transplantation
Volume 12, Issue 1, pages 43–47, January 2012
How to Cite
Neidich, E.M., Neidich, A.B., Cooper, J.T. and Bramstedt, K. A. (2012), The Ethical Complexities of Online Organ Solicitation via Donor–Patient Websites: Avoiding the “Beauty Contest”. American Journal of Transplantation, 12: 43–47. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-6143.2011.03765.x
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 22 SEP 2011
- Received 18 June 2011, revised 02 August 2011 and accepted for publication 08 August 2011
- 2The national kidney registry: Transplant chains—beyond paired kidney donation. Clin Transplant 2009; 253–264., .
- 3Organ Donor, Organ Transplant, Organ Donor Services, | Matching Donors. [Internet]; Available from: http://www.matchingdonors.com/. Accessed March 25, 2011.
- 5Kidney donor to be freed from jail. Rocky Mountain News. 2004..
- 6Search for transplant organs becomes a web free-for-all. The Washington Post, 2005..
- 7The Flood Sisters Kidney Foundation of America. [Internet]; Available from: http://floodsisters.org/. Accessed March 28, 2011.
- 9Should it be illicit to solicit? A legal analysis of policy options to regulate solicitation of organs for transplant. Health Mfatrix Clevel 2007; 17: 63–99., .
- 11The seattle ‘God committee’: A cautionary tale—health affairs blog. Health Aff [serial on the Internet], 2009: Available from: http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2009/11/30/the-seattlegod-committee-a-cautionary-tale/>. Accessed March 28, 2011..
- 12The organ donor experience: Good Samaritans and the meaning of altruism. NY : Rowman & Littlefield, 2011., .
- 15United Network for Organ Sharing: The UNOS statement of principles and objective of equitable organ allocation. UNOS Update, 1994; 20–38.
- 18Organ solicitation and donation: Position statement from NATCO. The Program for Transplant Policy and Ethics Department of Medical Ethics University of Pennsylvania 2005., .
- 19Statement on directed donation and solicitation of organs [Internet]: American Society of Transplant Surgeons. 2006 [updated 10/23/2006]; Available from: http://www.a-s-t.org/. Accessed March 28, 2011.
- 20Executive summary of the minutes: Board of directors meeting. Minneapolis, Minnesota: OPTN/UNOS 2004 [updated 6/24/2004]; Available from: http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/SharedContentDocuments/Executive_Summary_June_2004.pdf. Accessed March 28, 2011.
- 22Altruistic Living Donor Registry Act of 2010, California Codes Health and Safety Code. 7152-7152.2, 2010.