These authors contributed equally to this work.
Leptin Modulates Allograft Survival by Favoring a Th2 and a Regulatory Immune Profile
Article first published online: 27 SEP 2012
© Copyright 2012 The American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons
American Journal of Transplantation
Volume 13, Issue 1, pages 36–44, January 2013
How to Cite
Moraes-Vieira, P. M. M., Bassi, E. J., Larocca, R. A., Castoldi, A., Burghos, M., Lepique, A. P., Quintana, F. J., Araujo, R. C., Basso, A. S., Strom, T. B. and Câmara, N. O. S. (2013), Leptin Modulates Allograft Survival by Favoring a Th2 and a Regulatory Immune Profile. American Journal of Transplantation, 13: 36–44. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-6143.2012.04283.x
- Issue published online: 26 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 27 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 17 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 10 APR 2012
- State of Sao Paulo Foundation for Research Support. Grant Numbers: 07/07139-3, 08/55447-1, 09/50450-7, 08/58564-9, 10/52180-4, 12/02270-2
- International Associated Laboratory in Renal Immune RegulationImmuneregulation
- Brazilian Council of Scientific and Technologic Development. Grant Number: 470533/2007-2
- Complex Fluids INCT
Vol. 13, Issue 8, 2231, Article first published online: 26 JUL 2013
- Obesity and insulin resistance. J Clin Invest 2000; 106: 473–481. , .
- The burden of obesity on infectious disease. Exp Biol Med (Maywood); 235: 1412–1424. , .
- The weight of leptin in immunity. Nat Rev Immunol 2004; 4: 371–379. , .
- Anti-inflammatory effects of leptin and cholecystokinin on acetic acid-induced colitis in rats: Role of capsaicin-sensitive vagal afferent fibers. Regul Pept 2003; 116: 109–118. , , , .
- Leptin deficiency, not obesity, protects mice from Con A-induced hepatitis. Eur J Immunol 2002; 32: 552–560. , , , .
- Leptin neutralization interferes with pathogenic T cell autoreactivity in autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Clin Invest 2006; 116: 447–455. , , , et al.
- Leptin accelerates autoimmune diabetes in female NOD mice. Diabetes 2002; 51: 1356–1361. , , , et al.
- Requirement for leptin in the induction and progression of autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Immunol 2001; 166: 5909–5916. , , , et al.
- Defective leptin/leptin receptor signaling improves regulatory T cell immune response and protects mice from atherosclerosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2007; 27: 2691–2698. , , , et al.
- A key role of leptin in the control of regulatory T cell proliferation. Immunity 2007; 26: 241–255. , , , et al.
- Leptin signaling in the central nervous system and the periphery. Recent Prog Horm Res 2004; 59: 305–331. , .
- Prolonged survival of mouse skin allografts in recipients treated with donor splenocytes and antibody to CD40 ligand. Transplantation 1997; 64: 329–335. , , , et al.
- Impairment of dendritic cell functionality and steady-state number in obese mice. J Immunol 2006; 177: 5997–6006. , , , et al.
- Regulatory T cells sequentially migrate from inflamed tissues to draining lymph nodes to suppress the alloimmune response. Immunity 2009; 30: 458–469. , , , et al.
- Leptin as a link between the immune system and kidney-related diseases: Leading actor or just a coadjuvant? Obes Rev 2012; 13: 733–743. , , , .
- The role of obesity in kidney disease: Recent findings and potential mechanisms. Int Urol Nephrol 2011; 43: 771–784. , .
- Impact of body mass index on graft loss in normal and overweight patients: Retrospective analysis of 206 renal transplants. Clin Transplant 2010; 24: E241–E246. , , , , , .
- Obesity in kidney transplantation affects renal function but not graft and patient survival. Transplant Proc 2011; 43: 367–372. , , , et al.
- Regulatory functions of self-restricted MHC class II allopeptide-specific Th2 clones in vivo. J Clin Invest 2001; 107: 909–916. , , , et al.
- Infectious tolerance? Mechanisms and implications. Transplantation 2001; 728 Suppl: S29–S31. , , .
- Regulatory T cells and organ transplantation. Semin Immunol 2004; 16: 119–126. , , , , , .
- CD154 on the surface of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells contributes to skin transplant tolerance. Transplantation 2003; 76: 1375–1379. , , , , .
- An oscillatory switch in mTOR kinase activity sets regulatory T cell responsiveness. Immunity 2010; 33: 929–941. , , , et al.
- Reciprocal developmental pathways for the generation of pathogenic effector TH17 and regulatory T cells. Nature 2006; 441: 235–238. , , , et al.
- Reciprocal TH17 and regulatory T cell differentiation mediated by retinoic acid. Science 2007; 317: 256–260. , , , et al.
- Th17: Contributors to allograft rejection and a barrier to the induction of transplantation tolerance? Transplantation; 91: 939–945. , , , .
- IL-17 promotes immune privilege of corneal allografts. J Immunol; 185: 4651–4658. , , .
- Critical role of regulatory T cells in Th17-mediated minor antigen-disparate rejection. J Immunol; 185: 3417–3425. , , , et al.