CMP and IML are currently in the Division of Cancer Research, Medical Research Institute, College of Medicine, Dentistry and Nursing, University of Dundee Ninewells Hospital, Dundee, Scotland, UK.
A Surveillance Model for Skin Cancer in Organ Transplant Recipients: A 22-Year Prospective Study in an Ethnically Diverse Population
Version of Record online: 16 OCT 2012
© Copyright 2012 The American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons
American Journal of Transplantation
Volume 13, Issue 1, pages 119–129, January 2013
How to Cite
Harwood, C. A., Mesher, D., McGregor, J. M., Mitchell, L., Leedham-Green, M., Raftery, M., Cerio, R., Leigh, I. M., Sasieni, P. and Proby, C. M. (2013), A Surveillance Model for Skin Cancer in Organ Transplant Recipients: A 22-Year Prospective Study in an Ethnically Diverse Population. American Journal of Transplantation, 13: 119–129. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-6143.2012.04292.x
- Issue online: 26 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 16 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 29 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 18 MAY 2012
- Cancer Research UK
- Cancer after kidney transplantation in the United States. Am J Transplant 2004; 4: 905–913. , , , .
- Cancer incidence before and after kidney transplantation. JAMA 2006; 296: 2823–2831. , , et al.
- Identifying high risk groups and quantifying absolute risk of cancer after kidney transplantation: A cohort study of 15,183 recipients. Am J Transplant 2007; 7: 2140–2151. , , , , .
- Incidence of cancer in kidney-transplant recipients: A long-term cohort study in a single center. Cancer Epidemiol 2011; 35: 105–111. , , , et al.
- Incidence of cancers in people with HIV/AIDS compared with immunosuppressed transplant recipients: A meta-analysis. Lancet 2007; 370: 59–67. , , , .
- Betapapillomaviruses: Innocent bystanders or causes of skin cancer. J Clin Virol. 2008: 43: 353–360. , , , .
- Clonal integration of a polyomavirus in human Merkel cell carcinoma. Science 2008; 319: 1096–1100. , , , .
- Kaposi's sarcoma: The most common tumor after renal transplantation in Saudi Arabia. Am J Med 1988; 84: 225–232. , , et al.
- Malignancy following renal transplantation. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi (Taipei) 1998; 61: 281–288. , , , , .
- Skin cancers after organ transplantation. N Engl J Med 2003; 348: 1681–1691. , , .
- Skin cancer and immunosuppression. Lancet 1971; 2: 1282. , , .
- The epidemiology of transplant-associated keratinocyte cancers in different geographical regions. Skin Cancer after organ transplantation. In: Rosen T, ed. Cancer Treatment and Research 146. NY: Springer, 2009: pp. 75–95. , , , , , .
- Skin cancer in organ transplant recipients: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, and management. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2002; 47: 1–17. Review. , .
- Skin cancer risk among solid organ recipients: A nationwide cohort study in Denmark. Acta Derm Venereol 2010: 474–479. , , , , , .
- Increased incidence and mortality associated with skin cancers after cardiac transplant. Am J Transplant 2011; 11: 1488–1497. , , , et al.
- Organ transplantation and skin cancer: Basic problems and new perspectives. Exp Dermatol 2010; 19: 473–482. , , .
- Cyclosporine induces cancer progression by a cell-autonomous mechanism. Nature 1999: 397: 530–534. , , , et al.
- Calcineurin inhibitors decrease DNA repair and apoptosis in human keratinocytes following ultraviolet B irradiation. J Invest Dermatol 2005; 125: 1020–1025. , , , , .
- Clinically relevant immunosuppressants influence UVB-induced tumor size through effects on inflammation and angiogenesis. Am J Transplant 2007; 7: 2693–2703. , , , et al.
- Cyclosporine A suppresses keratinocyte cell death through MPTP inhibition in a model for skin cancer in organ transplant recipients. Mitochondrion 2010; 94–101. , , , , , .
- Opposing roles for calcineurin and ATF3 in squamous skin cancer. Nature 2010; 465: 368–372. , , , et al.
- Immunosuppressive cyclosporin A activates AKT in keratinocytes through PTEN suppression: Implications in skin carcinogenesis. J Biol Chem 2010; 285: 11369–11377. , , , .
- Cyclosporin A inhibits nucleotide excision repair via downregulation of the xeroderma pigmentosum group A and G proteins, which is mediated by calcineurin inhibition. Exp Dermatol 2011; 20: 795–799. , , , et al.
- The immunosuppressant azathioprine and UVA light generate mutagenic oxidative DNA damage. Science 2005; 309: 1871–1874. , , et al.
- Azathioprine photosensitises human skin to UV-A radiation. Br J Dermatol 2008; 159: 198–204. , , , et al.
- PTCH mutations in basal cell carcinomas from azathioprine-treated organ transplant recipients. Br J Cancer 2008; 99: 1276–1284. , , , et al.
- Reversal of UVA skin photosensitivity and DNA damage in kidney transplant recipients by replacing azathioprine. Am J Transplant 2012; 12: 218–225. , , , et al.
- UVA photosensitization of thiopurines and skin cancer in organ transplant Recipients. Photochem Photobiol Sci 2012; 11: 62–68. , .
- Association of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase polymorphism and the risk of squamous cell carcinoma in renal transplant patients. Transplantation 2007; 84: 113–116. , , , et al.
- A case–control study of betapapillomavirus infection and cutaneous squamous-cell carcinoma in organ transplant recipients. Am J Transplantation 2011; 11: 1498–1508. , , , et al.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Improving outcomes for people with skin tumours including melanoma: The manual (2006 guidance).
- Specialty clinics for the dermatologic care of solid-organ transplant recipients. Dermatol Surg 2004; 30: 598–603. Review. , , , et al.
- International Transplant-Skin Cancer Collaborative; European Skin Care in Organ Transplant Patients Network. Guidelines for the management of squamous cell carcinoma in organ transplant recipients. Dermatol Surg 2004; 30: 642–650. , , , et al.
- Skin cancer in organ transplant recipients—where do we stand today? Am J Transplant 2008; 11: 2192–8. Review. , , , .
- KDIGO clinical practice guideline for the care of kidney transplant recipients. Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) Transplant Work Group. Chapter 18. Cancer of the Skin and Lip. Am J Transplant 2009; 9: S84–S85.
- Skin cancer in solid organ transplant recipients: Advances in therapy and management part II. Management of skin cancer in solid organ transplant recipients. J Am Acad Dermatol 2011; 2: 263–279 , .
- Specialist dermatology clinics for organ transplant recipients significantly improve compliance with photoprotection and levels of skin cancer awareness. Br J Dermatol 2006; 155: 916–925 , , , , , .
- Keratotoic skin lesions and other risk factors are associated with skin cancer in organ transplant recipients: A case–control study in The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Germany, France and Italy. J Invest Dermatol 2007; 127: 1647–1656. , , , et al.
- A case-control study of cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma among Caucasian organ transplant recipients: The role of antibodies against human papillomavirus (HPV) and other risk factors. Int J Cancer 2009; 125: 1935–1945. , , , et al.
- Skin cancer in renal-transplant recipients occur more frequently than previously recognized in a temperate climate. Transplantation 2004; 77: 574–579. , , , , , .
- A population-based study of skin cancer incidence and prevalence in renal transplant recipients. Br J Dermatol 2006; 154: 498–504. , , , , , .
- Seven-year prospective study of nonmelanoma skin cancer incidence in U.K. renal transplant recipients. Transplantation 2007; 84: 437–439. , , , , .
- Subsequent squamous- and basal-cell carcinomas in kidney-transplant recipients after the first skin cancer: Cumulative incidence and risk factors. Transplantation 2010; 89: 1231–1238. , , , et al.
- Incidence of skin cancer in 5356 patients following organ transplantation. Br J Dermatol 2000; 143: 513. , , , .
- Subsequent skin cancers in kidney and heart transplant recipients after the first squamous cell carcinoma. Transplantation 2006; 81: 1093–1100. , , , et al.
- Incidence of and risk factors for skin cancer after heart transplant. Arch Dermatol 2009; 145: 1391–1396. , , , et al.
- First and subsequent nonmelanoma skin cancers: Incidence and predictors in a population of New Zealand renal transplant recipients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2010; 25: 300. , , , et al.
- Incidence and clinical predictors of a subsequent nonmelanoma skin cancer in solid organ transplant recipients with a first nonmelanoma skin cancer: A multicenter cohort study. Arch Dermatol 2010; 146: 294–299. , , et al.
- Risk of developing a subsequent nonmelanoma skin cancer in patients with a history of nonmelanoma skin cancer: A critical review of the literature and meta-analysis. Arch Dermatol 2000; 136: 1524. , .
- Human herpes virus-8 serology and DNA analysis in recipients of renal allografts showing Kaposi's sarcoma and their respective donors. Transplant Proc 2004; 36: 902–904. , , , et al.
- Kaposi sarcoma in transplantation. Transplant Rev 2008; 22: 252–261. , , .
- Kaposi's Sarcoma. The SCOPE Collaborative Group (eds). Skin Cancer after organ transplantation. In: Rosen T, ed. Cancer Treatment and Research 146. Rosen T, Series Editor. NY: Springer, 2009: pp. 467–481. , .
- Melanomas in renal transplant recipients: The London experience, and invitation to participate in a European study. Br J Dermatol 2007; 156: 165–167. , , , , , .
- Melanoma in organ transplant recipients: Clinicopathological features and outcome in 100 cases. Am J Transplantation 2008; 8: 1191–1900. , , , et al.
- Malignant melanoma in solid transplant recipients collection of database cases and comparison with surveillance, epidemiology, and end results data for outcome analysis. Arch Dermatol 2011; 147: 790–796. , , . et al.
- High frequency and diversity of cutaneous appendageal tumours in organ transplant recipients. J Am Acad Dermatol 2003; 48: 401–408. , , , et al.
- Appendageal malignancies. In: J-N Bouwes Bavinck, et al., Eds. Advances in Cutaneous Transplant Oncology. NY: Springer, 2009: 146: 353–374. , , .
- Incidence of Merkel cell carcinoma in renal transplant recipients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2009; 24: 3231–3235. , , , et al.
- Merkel cell carcinoma. In: J-N Bouwes Bavinck, et al., Eds. Advances in Cutaneous Transplant Oncology. NY: Springer, 2009: 146: 329–341. .
- Managing cancer risk and decision making after kidney transplantation. Am J Transplant 2008; 11: 2185–2191. , , , .
- Pre-transplantation dermatologic screening and prophylaxis. The SCOPE Collaborative Group (eds). Skin Cancer after organ transplantation. Cancer Treatment and Research 146. Rosen T, Series Editor. Springer, 2009: pp. 391–404. .
- Current approaches to skin cancer management in organ transplant recipients. Semin Cutan Med Surg 2011; 30: 35–47. , .
- Skin cancer in renal allograft recipients—Experience in different ethnic groups residing in the same geographical region. Clin Transplant 2005; 19: 735–741. , .
- Risk of Kaposi's sarcoma and of other cancers in Italian renal transplant patients. Br J Cancer 2005; 92: 572–575. , , , et al.
- Skin cancer after renal transplantation: Results of a multicenter study in Iran. Ann Transplant 2010; 15: 44–50. , , , et al.