Present address: Department of Biological Sciences, Hatherly Laboratory, University of Exeter, EX4 4PS, UK;
A new practical tool for deriving a functional signature for herbaceous vegetation
Version of Record online: 24 FEB 2009
2004 IAVS - the International Association of Vegetation Science
Applied Vegetation Science
Volume 7, Issue 2, pages 163–170, November 2004
How to Cite
Hunt, R., Hodgson, J.G., Thompson, K., Bungener, P., Dunnett, NP. and Askew, AP. (2004), A new practical tool for deriving a functional signature for herbaceous vegetation. Applied Vegetation Science, 7: 163–170. doi: 10.1111/j.1654-109X.2004.tb00607.x
- Issue online: 24 FEB 2009
- Version of Record online: 24 FEB 2009
- Received 16 March 2004; Accepted 24 June 2004.
- 1982. Hierarchy: perspectives for ecological complexity. University of Chicago Press, Chicago , IL , US . &
- 2002. Principles of terrestrial ecosystem ecology. Springer, New York , NY , US . , &
- 2001. A self-assembling model of resource dynamics and plant growth incorporating plant functional types. Funct. Ecol. 15: 676–687. , &
- 1978. Diversity in tropical rain forests and coral reefs. Science 199: 1302–1310.
- 1995. Insects, plants and succession: advantages of long-term set-aside. Agricult. Ecosyst. Environ. 53: 201–217.
- 2001. Vive la différence: plant functional diversity matters to ecosystem processes. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 646–655. &
- 2003. Functional diversity revealed by removal experiments Trends Ecol. Evol. 18: 140–146. , , , &
- 2004. The plant traits that drive ecosystems: evidence from three continents. J. Veg. Sci. 15: 295–304. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1998. A 38-year study of relations between weather and vegetation dynamics in road verges near Bibury, Gloucestershire. J. Ecol. 86: 610–623. , , &
- 2000. Gradient analysis of dry grassland vegetation in Denmark. J. Veg. Sci. 11: 573–584. &
- 1973. Control of species density in herbaceous vegetation. J. Environ. Manage. 1: 151–167.
- 1974. Vegetation classification by reference to strategies. Nature 250: 26–31.
- 1977. Evidence for the existence of three primary strategies in plants and its relevance to ecological and evolutionary theory. Am. Nat. 111: 1169–1194.
- 1979. Plant strategies and vegetation processes. Wiley, Chichester , UK .
- 2001. Plant strategies, vegetation processes and ecosystem properties. Wiley, Chichester , UK .
- 1988. Comparative plant ecology: a functional approach to common British species (reprinted 1996). Unwin Hyman, London, UK. , &
- 1997. Integrated screening validates primary axes of specialisation in plants. Oikos 79: 259–281. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1985. Capitalists and proletarians (MacLeod, 1894): an early theory of plant strategies. Oikos 44: 43–49. &
- 1986. Commonness and rarity in plants with special reference to the Sheffield Flora. Part 1. The identity, distribution and habitat characteristics of the common and rare species. Biol. Conserv. 36: 199–252.
- 1999. Allocating C-S-R plant functional types: a soft approach to a hard problem. Oikos 85: 282–294. , , , &
- 1987. Plant succession: life history and competition. Am. Nat. 130: 168–198. &
- 1988. Statistical ecology: a primer in methods and computing. Wiley, Chichester , UK . &
- 1997. Ecological characteristics and rarity of endemic plants from southeast France and Corsica: implications for biodiversity conservation. Biol. Conserv. 80: 269–281. &
- 2003. Plant functional types in relation to disturbance and land use: introduction. J. Veg. Sci. 14: 307–310. , &
- 1938. Introduction to the geobotanical study of complex vegetations. Selkozgiz, Moscow , RU .
- 2000. Plant functional types - a strategic perspective. J. Veg. Sci. 11: 917–922. &
- 1997. Plant functional types: their relevance to ecosystem properties and global change. International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme Book, Series 1. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK . , &
- 1997. New flora of the British Isles, 2nd. ed. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK .
- 1994. Predicting the fate of temperate species in response to human disturbance and global change. In: Boyle, T.J.B. & Boyle, CE.B. (eds.) Biodiversity, temperate ecosystems and global change, pp. 61–76. Springer-Verlag, Berlin , DE .
- 2000. A phylogenetic approach to community assembly from a local species pool. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 267: 363–369. &
- 2002. Pattern and process in Norwegian upland grasslands: a functional analysis. J. Veg. Sci. 13: 123–134. &
- 1998. Functional analysis of the newly established plants induced by nesting gulls on Riou archipelago (Marseille, France). Acta Oecol. 19: 241–250. , , , &
- 1972. Long-term ecological changes in sward composition following application of maleic hydrazide and 2,4-D. In: Proceedings of the 11th British Weed Control Conference , pp. 360–367. British Crop Protection Council, London , UK .
- 1988. The effects of growth retardant and selective herbicide on roadside verges at Bibury, Gloucestershire, over a thirty-year period. Aspects Appl. Biol. 16: 19–26.
- 1995. Does Gulf Stream position affect vegetation dynamics in Western Europe Oikos 73: 408–410. , , &
- 1998. The causes and consequences of recent vegetation change in Britain . Ph.D. Thesis, University of Sheffield, Sheffield , UK .
- 1996. Plant functional types and climatic changes: introduction. J. Veg. Sci. 7: 306–308. &
- 1962. The effects of maleic hydrazide and 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid on roadside vegetation. Weed Res. 2: 24–40. &