Plant traits – a tool for restoration?
Version of Record online: 29 MAR 2012
© 2012 International Association for Vegetation Science
Applied Vegetation Science
Volume 15, Issue 4, pages 449–458, October 2012
How to Cite
Clark, D. L., Wilson, M., Roberts, R., Dunwiddie, P. W., Stanley, A., Kaye, T. N. (2012), Plant traits – a tool for restoration?. Applied Vegetation Science, 15: 449–458. doi: 10.1111/j.1654-109X.2012.01198.x
- Issue online: 4 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 29 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 MAY 2011
- Northwest Conservation Fund of the Priscilla Bullitt Collins Trust
- The Nature Conservancy (TNC)
- 2005. Predictive value of plant traits to grazing along a climatic gradient in the Mediterranean. Journal of Applied Ecology 42: 824–833. , &
- 2011. Functional traits and local environment predict vegetation responses to disturbance: a pan-European multi-site experiment. Journal of Ecology 99: 777–787. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1996. Seedling growth, allocation and leaf attributes in a wide range of woody plant species and types. Journal of Ecology 84: 755–765. , &
- 2003. A handbook of protocols for standardized and easy measurement of plant functional traits worldwide. Australian Journal of Botany 51: 335–380. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1998. Plant functional traits and environmental filters at a regional scale. Journal of Vegetation Science 9: 113–122. , &
- 2001. Can grazing response of herbaceous plants be predicted from simple vegetative traits? Journal of Applied Ecology 38: 497–508. , &
- 2007. Assessing the effects of land-use change on plant traits, communities and ecosystem functioning in grasslands: a standardized methodology and lessons from an application to 11 European sites. Annals of Botany 99: 967–985. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2003. Plant functional types: a promising tool for management and restoration of degraded lands. Applied Vegetation Science 6: 223–234. , , &
- 2002. The effects of native plants on non-native plant abundance in a restoration setting: differences among native species and the predictive ability of species traits. MS Thesis, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, US.
- 2001. Regression modeling strategies. Springer, New York, NY, US.
- 1993. Methods in comparative plant ecology: a laboratory manual. Chapman and Hall, London, UK. & (eds.).
- 1973. Diversity and evenness: a unifying notation and its consequences. Ecology 54: 427–432.
- 2004. Plant functional trait responses to grassland succession over 25 years. Journal of Vegetation Science 15: 21–32. &
- 2008. Trait interactions help explain plant invasion success in the German flora. Journal of Ecology 96: 860–868. , , &
- 2005. Applied linear statistical models, 5th ed. McGraw-Hill Irwin, Boston, MA, US. , , &
- 2002. Predicting changes in community composition and ecosystem functioning from plant traits: revisiting the Holy Grail. Functional Ecology 16: 545–556. &
- 2006. Rebuilding community ecology from functional traits. Trends in Ecology and Evolution. 21: 178–185. , , &
- 1999. Disturbance response in vegetation – towards a global perspective on functional traits. Journal of Vegetation Science 10: 621–630. , , &
- 2004. Consistency of plant species and trait responses to grazing along a productivity gradient: a multi-site analysis. Journal of Ecology 92: 893–905.
- 2003. Plant traits as predictors of performance in ecological restoration. Journal of Applied Ecology 40: 65–77. , , , , &
- 2003. The evolution of plant functional variation: traits, spectra, and strategies. International Journal of Plant Science 164: S143–S164. , , , , , &
- 2012. Inversion of dominance–diversity relationships along a latitudinal stress gradient. Ecology. In press. , , , &
- 2010. Traits, neighbours, and species performance in prairie restoration. Applied Vegetation Science 13: 270–279. , &
- 2011. Using plant functional traits to guide restoration: a case study in California grassland. Ecosphere 2: 1–6. , &
- 2008. Observations from a multisite, collaborative research project. Native Plant Journal 9: 247–254. , &
- 2011. Restoring invaded Pacific Northwest Prairies: management recommendations from a region-wide experiment. Northwest Science 85: 233–246. , &
- 1999. Modern applied statistics with S-PLUS, 3rd ed. Springer, New York, NY, US. &
- 2010. A structured and dynamic framework to advance traits-based theory and prediction in ecology. Ecology Letters 13: 267–283. , , , &
- 1999. Challenging Theophrastus: a common core list of plant traits for functional ecology. Journal of Vegetation Science 10: 609–620. , , , , &
- 2006. Willamette valley prairie plant trait database. Department of Botany and Plant Pathology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, US. , compiler.