de Bello, F. (corresponding author, email@example.com), Lavergne, S. (firstname.lastname@example.org) & Thuiller, W. (email@example.com): Laboratoire d'Ecologie Alpine, UMR CNRS 5553, Université Joseph Fourier, 38041, Grenoble Cedex 9, France. Meynard, C.N. (firstname.lastname@example.org): UMR 5554 - ISEM, Université Montpellier II, Place Eugène Bataillon, CC 065, 34095 Montpellier Cedex 5, France. Lepš, J. (email@example.com): Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia and Institute of Entomology, Biology Centre of ASCR, Branišovská 31, CZ-37005 Ceské Budejovice, Czech Republic. de Bello, F.: Present address: Department of Functional Ecology, Institute of Botany, Czech Academy of Sciences, Dukelská 135, CZ-379 82 Třeboň, Czech Republic.
The partitioning of diversity: showing Theseus a way out of the labyrinth
Article first published online: 21 MAY 2010
© 2010 International Association for Vegetation Science
Journal of Vegetation Science
Volume 21, Issue 5, pages 992–1000, October 2010
How to Cite
De Bello, F., Lavergne, S., Meynard, C. N., Lepš, J. and Thuiller, W. (2010), The partitioning of diversity: showing Theseus a way out of the labyrinth. Journal of Vegetation Science, 21: 992–1000. doi: 10.1111/j.1654-1103.2010.01195.x
Co-ordinating Editor: Dr. Valério Pillar.
- Issue published online: 1 SEP 2010
- Article first published online: 21 MAY 2010
- Received 29 June 2009;Accepted 4 April 2010.
- 2007. A trait-based approach to community assembly: partitioning of species trait values into within- and among-community components. Ecology Letters 10: 135–145. &
- 2005. Rao's quadratic entropy as a measure of functional diversity based on multiple traits. Journal of Vegetation Science 16: 533–540.
- 2006. Additive partitioning of rarefaction curves and species–area relationships: unifying alpha-, beta- and gamma-diversity with sample size and habitat area. Ecology Letters 9: 923–932. &
- 2007. Importance of species abundance for assessment of trait composition: an example based on pollinator communities. Community Ecology 8: 163–170. , , &
- 2009. Partitioning of functional diversity reveals the scale and extent of trait convergence and divergence. Journal of Vegetation Science 20: 475–486. , , , , , , &
- 2008. Interpreting and estimating measures of community phylogenetic structuring. Journal of Ecology 96: 849–852. &
- 2007. Characterizing the phylogenetic structure of communities by an additive partitioning of phylogenetic diversity. Journal of Ecology 95: 493–506. &
- 1973. Diversity and evenness – unifying notation and its consequences. Ecology 54: 427–432.
- 2006. Entropy and diversity. Oikos 113: 363–375.
- 2007. Partitioning diversity into independent alpha and beta components. Ecology 88: 2427–2439.
- 2008. G(ST) and its relatives do not measure differentiation. Molecular Ecology 17: 4015–4026.
- 2010. Partitioning diversity for conservation analyses. Diversity and Distribution 16: 65–76. , , , , &
- 2003. Measuring beta diversity for presence–absence data. Journal of Animal Ecology 72: 367–382. , &
- 1996. Statistics and partitioning of species diversity, and similarity among multiple communities. Oikos 76: 5–13.
- 2005. Analyzing beta diversity: partitioning the spatial variation of community composition data. Ecological Monographs 75: 435–450. , &
- 2006. Quantifying and interpreting functional diversity of natural communities: practical considerations matter. Preslia 78: 481–501. , , &
- 2004. Measuring biological diversity. Blackwell, Oxford, UK.
- 2004. From dissimilarities among species to dissimilarities among communities: a double principal coordinate analysis. Journal of Theoretical Biology 228: 523–537. , &
- 2008. Less lineages – more trait variation: phylogenetically clustered plant communities are functionally more diverse. Ecology Letters 11: 809–819. , , , , , , &
- 1982. Diversity and dissimilarity coefficients – a unified approach. Theoretical Population Biology 21: 24–43.
- 2005a. A note on functional diversity measures. Basic and Applied Ecology 6: 479–486.
- 2005b. Additive partitioning of Rao's quadratic diversity: a hierarchical approach. Ecological Modeling 183: 365–371.
- 2009. Diversity partitioning of Rao's quadratic entropy. Theoretical Population Biology 76: 299–302. &
- 2001. On the measurement of species diversity incorporating species differences. Oikos 93: 135–147.
- 2002. The additive partitioning of species diversity: recent revival of an old idea. Oikos 99: 3–9. , , &
- 2001. Do commonly used indices of beta-diversity measure species turnover? Journal of Vegetation Science 12: 545–552.
- 2008. Additive partitioning of diversity including species differences: a comment on Hardy and Senterre (2007). Journal of Ecology 96: 845–848. &
- 2005. Phylomatic: tree assembly for applied phylogenetics. Molecular Ecology Notes 5: 181. &
- 1975. Communities and ecosystems. Macmillan, New York, NY, US.