Assessing species and community functional responses to environmental gradients: which multivariate methods?
Version of Record online: 19 MAR 2012
© 2012 International Association for Vegetation Science
Journal of Vegetation Science
Volume 23, Issue 5, pages 805–821, October 2012
How to Cite
Kleyer, M., Dray, S., Bello, F., Lepš, J., Pakeman, R. J., Strauss, B., Thuiller, W., Lavorel, S. (2012), Assessing species and community functional responses to environmental gradients: which multivariate methods?. Journal of Vegetation Science, 23: 805–821. doi: 10.1111/j.1654-1103.2012.01402.x
- Issue online: 4 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 19 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Received: 7 FEB 2011
- ESF EuroDIVERSITY. Grant Number: DFG KL756/2-1
- ANR DIVERSITALP. Grant Number: ANR 07 BDIV 014
- GACR. Grant Number: 206/09/1471
- 2002. Leaf size, specific leaf area and microhabitat distribution of chaparral woody plants: contrasting patterns in species level and community level analyses. Oecologia 130: 449–457. , , , &
- 2007. Importance of species abundance for assessment of trait composition: an example based on pollinator communities. Community Ecology 8: 163–170. , , &
- 2008. On the identification of the most suitable traits for plant functional trait analyses. Oikos 117: 1533–1541. , , , , , &
- 2007. Taxonomic and biological trait differences of stream macroinvertebrate communities between mediterranean and temperate regions: implications for future climatic scenarios. Global Change Biology 13: 1658–1671. , &
- 1986. Canonical correspondence analysis: a new eigenvector technique for multivariate direct gradient analysis. Ecology 67: 1167–1179.
- 1984. Classification and regression trees. Chapman & Hall, New York, NY, US. , , &
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach, 2nd edn. Springer, New York, NY, US. &
- 2005. Consistent shifts in Alpine plant traits along a mesotopographical gradient. Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research 37: 444–453.
- 2007. Filtering processes in the assembly of plant communities: are species presence and abundance driven by the same traits? Journal of Vegetation Science 18: 911–920. , , , &
- 2007. Intraspecific diversity and dominant genotypes resist plant invasions. Ecology Letters 11: 16–23. , &
- 2002. Multivariate regression trees: a new technique for modeling species–environment relationships. Ecology 83: 1105–1117.
- 1996. Matching species traits to environmental variables: a new three-table ordination method. Environmental and Ecological Statistics 3: 143–166. , , &
- 2000. Niche separation in community analysis: a new method. Ecology 81: 2914–2927. , &
- 2007. Modelling the hydraulic preferences of benthic macroinvertebrates in small European streams. Freshwater Biology 52: 145–164. , , &
- 2008. Testing the species traits–environment relationships: the fourth-corner problem revisited. Ecology 89: 3400–3412. &
- 2003. Co-inertia analysis and the linking of ecological data tables. Ecology 84: 3078–3089. , &
- 2011. Cluster analysis, 5th edn. Wiley, Chichester, UK. , , &
- 1993. Assembly rules for functional groups in North American desert rodent communities. Oikos 67: 358–370. &
- 2007. Assessing the effects of land-use change on plant traits, communities and ecosystem functioning in grasslands: a standardized methodology and lessons from an application to 11 European sites. Annals of Botany 99: 967–985. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1999. Classification, 2nd edn. Chapman & Hall, Boca Raton, FL, US.
- 2006. Trait convergence and trait divergence in herbaceous plant communities: mechanisms and consequences. Journal of Vegetation Science 17: 255–260.
- 1988. Comparative plant ecology. Unwin-Hyman, London, UK. , &
- 1997. Integrated screening validates a primary axis of specialisation in plants. Oikos 79: 259–281. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2005. The relative importance of local, regional and historical factors determining the distribution of plants in fragmented riverine forests: an emergent group approach. Journal of Biogeography 32: 2069–2081. &
- 2006. Pelagic functional group modeling: progress, challenges and prospects. Deep-Sea Research Part II-Topical Studies in Oceanography 53: 459–512. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2002. Exkursionsflora von Deutschland, Vol. 4, 9th edn. Spektrum, Berlin, DE. &
- 2009. Mechanistic niche modelling: combining physiological and spatial data to predict species’ ranges. Ecology Letters 12: 334–350. &
- 2003. Alpine plant life: functional plant ecology of high mountain ecosystems, 2nd edn. Springer, Berlin and Heidelberg, DE.
- 2008. A parsimonious combination of functional traits predicting plant response to disturbance and soil fertility. Journal of Vegetation Science 19: 681–642. &
- 2002. Predicting changes in community composition and ecosystem functioning from plant traits: revisiting the Holy Grail. Functional Ecology 16: 545–556. &
- 1997. Plant functional classifications: from general groups to specific groups based on response to disturbance. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 12: 474–478. , , &
- 1999. Functional groups for response to disturbance in Mediterranean old fields. Oikos 84: 480–498. , &
- 2007. Plant functional types: are we getting any closer to the holy grail? In: Canadell, J.G, Pataki, D. & Pitelk, L. (eds.) Terrestrial ecosystems in a changing world. pp. 149–160. The IGBP Series, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, DE. , , , , , , , , & .
- 1998. Numerical ecology, 2nd edn. Elsevier, Amsterdam, NL. &
- 1997. Relating behavior to habitat: solutions to the fourth-corner problem. Ecology 78: 547–562. , &
- 2009. Fourth Corner Generation of Plant Functional Response Groups. Environmental and Ecological Statistics 16: 561–584. , &
- 1995. Correlates of seed size variation: a comparison among five temperate floras. Journal of Ecology 83: 517–530. , &
- 1995. Seed size and phylogeny in 6 temperate floras – constraints, niche conservatism, and adaptation. American Naturalist 146: 349–364. , &
- 2005. Plant traits and functional types in response to reduced disturbance in a semi-natural grassland. Journal of Vegetation Science, 16: 151–160. , , , &
- 2006. Rebuilding community ecology from functional traits. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21: 178–185. , , &
- 2001. Livestock grazing in subtropical pastures: steps in the analysis of attribute response and plant functional types. Journal of Ecology 89: 209–226. &
- 1999. Disturbance response in vegetation – towards a global perspective on functional traits. Journal of Vegetation Science 10: 621–630. , , &
- 2004. Small-seeded species produce more seeds per square metre of canopy per year, but not per individual per lifetime. Journal of Ecology 92: 384–396. , , &
- 2009. Taxonomical vs. functional responses of bee communities to fire in two contrasting climatic regions. Journal of Animal Ecology 78: 98–108. , , &
- 2004. A new approach to functional interpretation of vegetation data. Journal of Vegetation Science 15: 49–56. &
- 2004. Consistency of plant species and trait responses to grazing along a productivity gradient: a multi-site analysis. Journal of Ecology 92: 893–905.
- 2010. A framework for metacommunity analysis of phylogenetic structure. Ecology Letters 13: 587–596. &
- 2003. An improved method for searching plant functional types by numerical analysis. Journal of Vegetation Science 14: 232–332. &
- 2009. Discriminating trait-convergence and trait-divergence assembly patterns in ecological community gradients. Journal of Vegetation Science 20: 334–348. , , &
- 2007. Plant traits in a state and transition framework as markers of ecosystem response to land-use change. Ecological Monographs 77: 33–52. , &
- 1964. The use and interpretation of principal correspondence analysis in applied research. Sankhya A 26: 329–359.
- 2002. Functional redundancy in ecology and conservation. Oikos 98: 156–162.
- 2008. Scaling environmental change through the community-level: a trait-based response-and-effect framework for plants. Global Change Biology 14: 1125–1140. , , , , , , , , &
- 2004. Relating plant traits and species distributions along bioclimatic gradients for 88 Leucadendron taxa. Ecology 85: 1688–1699. , , , &
- 2006. Interactions between environment, species traits, and human uses describe patterns of plant invasions. Ecology 87: 1755–1769. , , , &
- 2007. Let the concept of trait be functional! Oikos 116: 882–892. , , , , , &
- 1995. Issues of interpretation after relating comparative datasets to phylogeny. Journal of Ecology 83: 892–893. , &
- 2002. Plant ecological strategies: some leading dimensions of variation between species. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 125–159. , , , &
- 2007. The role of genotypic diversity in determining grassland community structure under constant environmental conditions. Journal of Ecology 95: 895–907. , , &
- 1999. Guilds, functional types and ecological groups. Oikos 86: 507–522.
- 1996. Plant functional types and climatic changes: introduction. Journal of Vegetation Science 7: 306–308. &
- 1991. Functional approaches to predicting the ecological effects of global change. Functional Ecology 5: 202–212. &