Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
Mechanisms promoting tree species co-existence: Experimental evidence with saplings of subtropical forest ecosystems of China
Article first published online: 20 MAR 2012
© 2012 International Association for Vegetation Science
Journal of Vegetation Science
Volume 23, Issue 5, pages 837–846, October 2012
How to Cite
Lang, A. C., Härdtle, W., Baruffol, M., Böhnke, M., Bruelheide, H., Schmid, B., von Wehrden, H., von Oheimb, G. (2012), Mechanisms promoting tree species co-existence: Experimental evidence with saplings of subtropical forest ecosystems of China. Journal of Vegetation Science, 23: 837–846. doi: 10.1111/j.1654-1103.2012.01403.x
- Issue published online: 4 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 20 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Received: 28 SEP 2011
- 2004. Mechanisms promoting plant coexistence: can all the proposed processes be reconciled? Oikos 106: 185–192.
- 2005. Global centers of vascular plant diversity. Nova Acta Leopoldina 92: 61–83. , , , &
- 1992. A comparison of distance-dependent competition measures for height and basal area growth of individual conifer trees. Forest Science 38: 695–720. &
- 2011. Community assembly during secondary forest succession in a Chinese subtropical forest. Ecological Monographs 81: 25–41. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1994. Causes and consequences of resource heterogeneity in forests – interspecific variation in light transmission by canopy trees. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 24: 337–349. , , &
- 2004. A neighborhood analysis of canopy tree competition: effects of shading versus crowding. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 34: 778–787. , &
- 2005. Resource use efficiency as a function of species richness and stand composition in upper montane conifer forests of the Sierra Nevada. Journal of Vegetation Science 16: 442–452. , &
- 2008. Target species identity is more important than neighbor species identity. Forest Ecology and Management 255: 203–213. , &
- 1987. Tropical rainforest gaps and tree species diversity. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Sytematics 18: 431–451.
- 1986. The influence of neighbours on the growth of modular organisms with an example from trees. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society London Biological Sciences 313: 209–225.
- 2003. Nachbarschaftsbezogene Analyse der Kronenraumbesetzung von Esche, Hainbuche und Winterlinde in einem artenreichen Laubmischwald (Nationalpark Hainich, Thüringen). Forstwissenschaftliches Centralblatt 122: 22–35. , &
- 2012. Impact of tree saplings on the kinetic energy of rainfall – the importance of stand density, species identity and tree architecture in subtropical forests in China. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 156: 31–40. , , , , &
- 2008. Scale-dependent competition at the stand level assessed from crown areas. Forest Ecology and Management 255: 2478–2485. , , &
- 2002. Adaptive significance of evergreen vs. deciduous leaves: solving the triple paradox. Silva Fennica 36: 703–743.
- 2008. Effect of wide spacing on tree growth, branch and sapwood properties of young Douglas-fir [Pseudotsuga menziesii (Mirb.) Franco] in south-western Germany. European Journal of Forest Research 127: 481–493. , &
- 2009. Biodiversity in a complex world: consolidation and progress in functional biodiversity research. Ecology Letters 12: 1405–1419. &
- 2005. Neutral theory in community ecology and the hypothesis of functional equivalence. Functional Ecology 19: 166–172.
- 1996. A global analysis of root distributions for terrestrial biomes. Oecologia 108: 389–411. , , , , &
- 2008. Functional traits and niche-based tree community assembly in an Amazonian forest. Science 322: 580–582. , &
- 2010. Tree morphology responds to neighbourhood competition and slope in species-rich forests of subtropical China. Forest Ecology and Management 260: 1708–1715. , , , , , , &
- 2009. The importance of niches for the maintenance of species diversity. Nature 461: 254–257. &
- 2010. Responses of crown architecture in Betula pendula to competition are dependent on the species of neighbouring trees. Trees - Structure and Function 24: 411–424. &
- 2001. Partitioning selection and complementarity in biodiversity experiments. Nature 412: 72–76. &
- 2000. Spermatophyta flora of Gutianshan Nature Reserve in Zhejiang. Journal of Beijing Forestry University 22: 33–39. &
- 2006. Neighbourhood composition determines growth, architecture and herbivory in tropical rain forest tree seedlings. Journal of Ecology 94: 646–655. , , &
- 2010. A review of light interception in plant stands from leaf to canopy in different plant functional types and in species with varying shade tolerance. Ecological Research 25: 693–714.
- 2011. Individual-tree radial growth in a subtropical broad-leaved forest: the role of local neighbourhood competition. Forest Ecology and Management 261: 499–507. , , , , , &
- 2006. Multi-model analysis of tree competition along environmental gradients in southern New England forests. Ecological Applications 16: 1880–1892. &
- 2008. Janzen-Connell effects are widespread and strong enough to maintain diversity in grasslands. Ecology 89: 2399–2406. , , &
- 2009. Forest dynamics, growth and yield: from measurement to model. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, DE.
- 2011. The unified neutral theory of biodiversity and biogeography at age ten. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 26: 340–348. , &
- 2011. Crown plasticity and neighborhood interactions of European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) in an old-growth forest. European Journal of Forest Research doi: 10.1007/s10342-011-0552-y , & .
- 2004. Plant coexistence and the niche. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 10: 605–611.
- 2003. The consequences of crown traits for the growth and survival of tree saplings in a Mexican lowland rainforest. Functional Ecology 17: 194–200. , , , &
- 1998. Plant foraging and dynamic competition between branches of Pinus sylvestris in contrasting light environments. Journal of Ecology 86: 934–945. &
- 2002. Spatial arrangement of branches in relation to slope and neighbourhood competition. Annals of Botany 89: 301–310. , , &
- 2010. Species identity and negative density dependence lead to convergence in designed plant combinations of twelve species. Basic and Applied Ecology 11: 627–637. , , &
- 1998. Shoot growth and tree architecture of saplings of the major canopy dominants in a warm-temperate rainforest. Ecological Research 13: 55–64.
- 2010. On the run for water – Root growth of two phreatophytes in the Taklamakan desert. Journal of Arid Environments 74: 1604–1615. , &
- 2001. Forest vegetation types in Gutianshan Natural Reserve in Zhejiang. Journal of Zhejiang University (Agriculture and Life Science) 27: 375–380. , , &
- 2003. Crown characteristics of juvenile loblolly pine 6 years after application of thinning and fertilization. Forest Ecology and Management 180: 345–352. , , &