Assessing non-parametric and area-based methods for estimating regional species richness
Article first published online: 17 MAY 2012
© 2012 International Association for Vegetation Science
Journal of Vegetation Science
Volume 23, Issue 6, pages 1006–1012, December 2012
How to Cite
Xu, H., Liu, S., Li, Y., Zang, R., He, F. (2012), Assessing non-parametric and area-based methods for estimating regional species richness. Journal of Vegetation Science, 23: 1006–1012. doi: 10.1111/j.1654-1103.2012.01423.x
- Issue published online: 7 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 17 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 24 OCT 2011
- State Forestry Administration. Grant Numbers: 201104057, 200804001
- National Nonprofit Institute Research Grant of CAF. Grant Numbers: CAFYBB2011004, RITFYWZX200902
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 30430570, 30590383
- 2003. Estimating species richness: sensitivity to sample coverage and insensitivity to spatial patterns. Ecology 84: 2364–2377. , &
- 1993. Estimating the number of species: A review. Journal of the American Statistical Association 88: 364–373. &
- 2005. Species richness estimation. 2nd ed. Wiley, New York, NY, US.
- 1992. Estimating the number of classes via sample coverage. Journal of the American Statistical Association 87: 210–217. &
- 1998. Statistical methods for estimating species richness of woody regeneration in primary and secondary rain forests of NE Costa Rica. In: & (eds.) Forest biodiversity research, monitoring and modeling: Conceptual background and Old World case studies, pp. 285–309. Parthenon Publishing, London, UK & UNESCO, Paris, FR. , , &
- 1994. Estimating terrestrial biodiversity through extrapolation. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 345: 101–118. &
- 2012. Models and estimators linking individual-based and sample-based rarefaction, extrapolation, and comparison of assemblages. Journal of Plant Ecology 5: 3–21. , , , , , &
- 2002. Beta-diversity in tropical forest trees. Science 295: 666–669. , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2007. A new case of models of spatial distribution. Ecological Monographs 77: 269–284. , , , &
- 2008. Statistical mechanics unifies ecological patterns. Journal of Theoretical Biology 251: 389–403. &
- 2008. Limitations of entropy maximization in ecology. Oikos 117: 1700–1710. &
- 2009. Trivial and non-trivial applications of entropy maximization in ecology: a reply to Shipley. Oikos 118: 1270–1278. &
- 2008. Maximum entropy and the state-variable approach to macroecology. Ecology 89: 2700–2711. , , &
- 2009. Biodiversity scales from plots to biomes with a universal species–area curve. Ecology Letters 12: 789–797. , &
- 2010. Maximum entropy, logistic regression, and species abundance. Oikos 119: 578–582. .
- 1996. Spatial patterning of diversity in a tropical rain forest in Malaysia. Journal of Biogeography 23: 57–74. , &
- 1997. Distribution patterns of tree species in a Malaysian tropical rain forest. Journal of Vegetation Science 8: 105–114. , &
- 2006. Evaluating the performance of species richness estimators: sensitivity to sample grain size. Journal of Animal Ecology 75: 274–287. , &
- 2001. The unified neutral theory of biodiversity and biogeography. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, US.
- 2008. Estimating landscape-scale species richness: reconciling frequency-and turnover-based approaches. Ecology 89: 174–182.
- 1976. Models and statistics for species diversity. Nature 262: 818–820. &
- 2004. Estimating species richness at large spatial scales using data from small discrete plots. Ecography 27: 637–642. , &
- 2006. An assessment of sample-based estimators of tree species richness in two wet tropical forest compartments in Panama and India. International Forestry Review 8: 417–431. , , &
- 1990. The estimation of species richness by extrapolation. Ecology 71: 1195–1198.
- 2007. The maximum entropy formalism and the idiosyncratic theory of biodiversity. Ecology Letters 10: 1017–1028. , &
- 2003. Six types of species–area curves. Global Ecology and Biogeography 12: 441–447.
- 2008. An incidence-based richness estimator for quadrats sampled without replacement. Ecology 89: 2052–2060. &
- 2009a. Limitations of entropy maximization in ecology: a reply to Haegeman and Loreau. Oikos 118: 152–159.
- 2009b. Trivial and non-trivial applications of entropy maximization in ecology: Shipley's reply. Oikos 118: 1279–1280.
- 2003. Shapes and functions of species–area curves: a review of possible models. Journal of Biogeography 30: 827–835.
- 2003. The species–accumulation curve and estimation of species richness. Journal of Animal Ecology 72: 888–897. , &
- 2010. A meta-analysis of species abundance distributions. Oikos 119: 1149–1155. , &
- 2009. Inferring species interactions in tropical forests. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 13854–13859. , , &
- 1995. A list of bio-species in Jianfengling of China. China Forestry Publishing House, Beijing, CN. , , , &
- 2010. Modeling spatial aggregation of finite populations. Ecology 91: 3698–3706. &