Understorey plant species show long-range spatial patterns in forest patches according to distance-to-edge
Article first published online: 7 JUN 2012
© 2012 International Association for Vegetation Science
Journal of Vegetation Science
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 9–24, January 2013
How to Cite
Pellissier, V., Bergès, L., Nedeltcheva, T., Schmitt, M.-C., Avon, C., Cluzeau, C., Dupouey, J.-L. (2013), Understorey plant species show long-range spatial patterns in forest patches according to distance-to-edge. Journal of Vegetation Science, 24: 9–24. doi: 10.1111/j.1654-1103.2012.01435.x
- Issue published online: 4 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 7 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 18 AUG 2011
- Research Program ‘Biodiversité et Gestion Forestière’ (BGF)
- French Ministry of Environment
- 2006. Effects of sampling time, quadrat richness and observer on exhaustiveness of plant censuses. Journal of Vegetation Science 17: 299–306. , , &
- 2010. Does the effect of forest roads extend a few meters or more into adjacent forest? A study on understory plant diversity in managed oak stands. Forest Ecology and Management 259: 1546–1555. , , &
- 2002. Legacies of the agricultural past in the forested present: an assessment of historical land-use effects on rich mesic forests. Journal of Biogeography 29: 1401–1420. , &
- 1987. Prise en compte de la topographie pour la cartographie des champs pluviométriques statistiques. La Météorologie 7: 23–34. &
- 2010. Revisiting the use of soil water budget assessment to predict site productivity of sessile oak (Quercus petraea Liebl.) in the perspective of climate change. European Journal of Forest Research 129: 199–208. &
- 2001. Environmental, historical, and contextual determinants of vegetation cover: a landscape perspective. Landscape Ecology 16: 421–436. , &
- 1999. Migration of herbaceous plant species across ancient–recent forest ecotones in central Belgium. Journal of Ecology 87: 628–638. , &
- 2011. Deer-mediated expansion of a rare plant species. Plant Ecology 212: 307–314. , , , , , &
- 2007. Plant colonization in heterogeneous landscapes: an 80-year perspective on restoration of broadleaved forest vegetation. Journal of Applied Ecology 44: 563–572.
- 2000. Factors influencing vegetation gradients across ancient–recent woodland borderlines in southern Sweden. Journal of Vegetation Science 11: 515–524. , &
- 1998. Edge and fragment size effects on the vegetation of deciduous forests in Ontario, Canada. Natural Areas Journal 18: 45–53. &
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information theoretic approach. Springer, New York, NY, US. &
- 2003. A framework for a theory of ecological boundaries. BioScience 53: 750–758. , , &
- 1992. Vegetation responses to edge environments in old-growth Douglas-fir forests. Ecological Applications 2: 387–396. , &
- 2006. The derivation of species response curves with Gaussian logistic regression is sensitive to sampling intensity and curve characteristics. Ecological Modelling 199: 164–175. &
- 2007. Present forest biodiversity patterns in France related to former Roman agriculture. Ecology 88: 1430–1439. , , , , , &
- 2000. Microclimate gradients across a forest edge. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 24: 111–121. , &
- 2011. Interregional variation in the floristic recovery of post-agricultural forests. Journal of Ecology 99: 600–609. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2003. Species indicator values as an important tool in applied plant ecology – a review. Basic and Applied Ecology 4: 493–506.
- 2002. La végétation des forêts anciennes. Revue Forestière Française 54: 521–532. , , &
- 2002. Habitat configuration, species traits and plant distributions. Journal of Ecology 90: 796–805. &
- 2001. Effect of proximity to ancient deciduous woodland on restoration of the field layer vegetation in a pine plantation. Ecography 24: 198–204.
- 1988. Species richness of small woodlands on the Western Carpathian Foothills. Vegetatio 76: 15–27. &
- 1989. Distribution of vascular plant-species in small woodlands on the Western Carpathian Foothills. Oikos 56: 77–86. &
- 2000. Dispersal limitation and patch occupancy in forest herbs. Ecology 81: 1667–1674. &
- 1992. Zeigerwerte von Pflanzen in Mitteleuropa. Scripta geobotanica 18: 1–258. , , , , &
- 2001. Effects of edges on plant communities in a managed landscape in northern Wisconsin. Forest Ecology and Management 148: 93–108. , &
- 2006. Continuous response functions for quantifying the strength of edge effects. Journal of Applied Ecology 43: 527–536. &
- 2007. Synergistic interactions between edge and area effects in a heavily fragmented landscape. Ecology 88: 96–106. , &
- 2007. The role of habitat area and edge in fragmented landscapes: definitively distinct or inevitably intertwined? Canadian Journal of Zoology 85: 1017–1030. , , &
- 2005. Recovery of forest plant communities in post-agricultural landscapes. Frontiers in Ecology and Environment 3: 243–250. &
- 1994. Vegetation responses along edge-to-interior gradients in the mixed hardwood forests of the Roanoke River basin, North Carolina. Conservation Biology 8: 822–832.
- 2005. EcoPlant: a forest site database linking floristic data with soil and climate variables. Journal of Vegetation Science 16: 257–260. , , &
- 2000. Vegetation and microclimatic edge effects in two mixed-mesophytic forest fragments. Plant Ecology 147: 21–35. , &
- 2007. Effects of size, shape, and edge on vegetation in remnants of the upland boreal mixed-wood forest in agro-environments of Alberta, Canada. Canadian Journal of Botany 85: 273–284. &
- 2003. Distribution pattern of the flora in a peri-urban forest: an effect of the city–forest ecotone. Landscape and Urban Planning 65: 169–185. &
- 2009. Woody plant composition of forest layers: the importance of environmental conditions and spatial configuration. Plant Ecology 201: 305–318. , &
- 2010. Relative contribution of edge and interior zones to patch size effect on species richness: an example for woody plants. Forest Ecology and Management 259: 266–274. , , , , &
- 2004. Influence of historical, geographical and environmental variables on understorey composition and richness in Danish forests. Journal of Vegetation Science 15: 465–474. , , , &
- 1997. Forest species in an agricultural landscape in the Netherlands: effects of habitat fragmentation. Journal of Vegetation Science 8: 21–28.
- 2006. Understorey plant species richness and composition in metropolitan forest archipelagos: effects of forest size, adjacent land use and distance to the edge. Global Ecology and Biogeography 15: 50–62. , &
- 2005. Edge influence on forest structure and composition in fragmented landscapes. Conservation Biology 19: 768–782. , , , , , , , , &
- 2007. Legacies of the past in the present-day forest biodiversity: a review of past land-use effects on forest plant species composition and diversity. Ecological Research 22: 361–371. &
- 1999. An ecological comparison between ancient and other forest plant species of Europe, and the implications for forest conservation. Biological Conservation 91: 9–22. , , , &
- 1999a. Effects of area, age and diversity of forest patches in Belgium on plant species richness, and implications for conservation and reforestation. Biological Conservation 87: 73–84. , &
- 1999b. Impact of habitat quality on forest plant species colonization. Forest Ecology and Management 115: 157–170. , &
- 2002. Permeability of ancient forest edges for weedy plant species invasion. Forest Ecology and Management 161: 109–122. , &
- 2005. Aspect modifies the magnitude of edge effects on bryophyte growth in boreal forests. Journal of Applied Ecology 42: 518–525.
- 2001. Forest plant species richness in small, fragmented mixed deciduous forest patches: the role of area, time and dispersal limitation. Journal of Biogeography 28: 801–812. , &
- 2003. Influence of environmental and spatial variables on regional distribution of forest plant species in a fragmented and changing landscape. Ecography 26: 768–776. , &
- 2009). Baseflor. Available at http://philippe.julve.pagesperso-orange.fr/catminat.htm. Accessed March, 2009. (
- 2004. Factors affecting the nitrogen status of soils and ground flora in beech woodlands. Forest Ecology and Management 198: 1–14. &
- 2005. Effects of life-history traits on responses of plant species to forest fragmentation. Conservation Biology 19: 929–938. &
- 2004. BiolFlor – a new plant-trait database as a tool for plant invasion ecology. Diversity and Distribution 10: 363–365. , &
- 1991. Edge effects in tropical forest fragments: application of a model for the design of nature-reserves. Biological Conservation 57: 205–219.
- 2000. Do edge effects occur over large spatial scales? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 15: 134–135.
- 2002. Ecosystem decay of Amazonian forest fragments: a 22-year investigation. Conservation Biology 16: 605–618. , , , , , , , , &
- 2006. Spatial patterns of plant species richness along a forest edge: what are their determinants? Forest Ecology and Management 223: 113–124. &
- 1998. The human drivers of global land cover change: the case of forests. Hydrological Processes 12: 1983–1994. , &
- 1999. The course and drivers of the forest transition: the case of France. Journal of Rural Studies 15: 65–90. , &
- 1993. Microenvironment variation within and among forest edge sites in the eastern United States. Biological Conservation 66: 185–194.
- 1994a. Plant species migration in a mixed-history forest landscape in eastern North America. Ecology 75: 1491–1502.
- 1994b. Vegetation dynamics of the forest edge – trends in space and successional time. Journal of Ecology 82: 113–123.
- 1997. Principles of conservation biology. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA, USA. &
- 1995. Edge effects in fragmented forests: implications for conservation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 10: 58–62.
- 1990. Disturbance versus edge effects in sugar-maple–beech forest fragments. Forest Ecology and Management 32: 187–202. &
- 2002. Humus index: an integrated tool for the assessment of forest floor and topsoil properties. Soil Science Society of America Journal 66: 1996–2001. , &
- 1989. Flore forestière française – Guide écologique illustré, Tome 1: Plaines et collines. IDF, FR. , &
- 1981. The importance of edge in the structure and dynamics of forest islands. In: Burgess, R.L. & Sharpe, D.M. (eds.) Forest island dynamics in man-dominated landscapes. pp. 67–95. Springer, New York, NY, USA. , &
- 1934. The life form of plants and statistical plant geography. Clarendon Press, Oxford, UK.
- 2004. A predictive model of edge effects. Ecology 85: 2917–2926. &
- 2004. Ecological responses to habitat edges: mechanisms, models, and variability explained. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 35: 491–522. , , &
- 2003. Liste der in Deutschland typischen Waldgefäßpflanzen. Mitteilungen der Bundesforschungsanstalt für Forst- und Holzwirtschaft 212: 1–35. , , , , , &
- 2009. Floristic and ecological differences between recent and ancient forests growing on non-acidic soils. Forest Ecology and Management 258: 600–608. , , , &
- 2009. Land-use history affects understorey plant species distributions in a large temperate-forest complex, Denmark. Plant Ecology 201: 221–234. , &
- Tela-Botanica 2009. Base de Donnees Nomenclaturale de la Flore de France (BDNFF, V4.02). Available at http://www.tela-botanica.org/ Accessed March, 2009.
- Tela-Botanica 2010. Base de Donnees Nomenclaturale des Bryophytes d'Europe (BDNBE, V 1.00). Available at http://www.tela-botanica.org/ Accessed May, 2010.
- 1992. Floristic changes in the herb-layer vegetation of a deciduous forest in the Lorraine Plain under the influence of atmospheric deposition. Forest Ecology and Management 55: 149–167. , &
- 1994. Habitat destruction and the extinction debt. Nature 371: 65–66. , , &
- 2004. Recruitment and growth of herb-layer species with different colonizing capacities in ancient and recent forests. Journal of Vegetation Science 15: 125–134. &
- 1999. The land use history (1278–1990) of a mixed hardwood forest in western Belgium and its relationship with chemical soil characteristics. Journal of Biogeography 26: 1115–1128. , , &
- 2003. An integrated analysis of the effects of past land use on forest herb colonization at the landscape scale. Journal of Ecology 91: 731–742. , , &
- 2011. Tree diversity and environmental context predict herb species richness and cover in Germany's largest connected deciduous forest. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 13: 111–119. , , , , &
- 2001. Forest edges as nutrient and pollutant concentrators: potential synergisms between fragmentation, forest canopies, and the atmosphere. Conservation Biology 15: 1506–1514. , &
- 1981. Edge versus age effects in the development of a Beech–Maple forest. Oikos 37: 377–381. &
- 2008. Comparison of forest edge effects on throughfall deposition in different forest types. Environmental Pollution 156: 854–861. , , , , &