Recommendations of an ad hoc Travel Vaccines Expert Group, Helsinki May 21, 2008.
Expert Opinion on Vaccination of Travelers Against Japanese Encephalitis
Article first published online: 12 MAY 2009
© 2009 International Society of Travel Medicine
Journal of Travel Medicine
Volume 16, Issue 3, pages 204–216, May/June 2009
How to Cite
Burchard, G. D., Caumes, E., Connor, B. A., Freedman, D. O., Jelinek, T., Jong, E. C., Von Sonnenburg, F., Steffen, R., Tsai, T. F., Wilder-Smith, A. and Zuckerman, J. (2009), Expert Opinion on Vaccination of Travelers Against Japanese Encephalitis. Journal of Travel Medicine, 16: 204–216. doi: 10.1111/j.1708-8305.2009.00330.x
The above-mentioned individuals attended an advisory board meeting convened on May 21, 2008, in Helsinki, Finland by Novartis Vaccines and Intercell AG, in which Japanese encephalitis and other travel vaccines were discussed. This publication summarizes the group discussion and recommendations for Japanese encephalitis vaccine.
Guest Editor: Herbert L. DuPont
- Issue published online: 12 MAY 2009
- Article first published online: 12 MAY 2009
- 1Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Inactivated Japanese encephalitis virus vaccine: recommendation of the advisory committee on immunization practices (ACIP). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 1993; 42:(RR-1).
- 2Japanese Encephalitis in Travelers: Review of Cases and Seasonal Risk. J Travel Med 2009; 16:217–219., .
- 3Japanese encephalitis in a Finnish traveler on a two-week holiday in Thailand. J Clin Virol 2008; 43:93–95., , , .
- 49-year-old faces hard recovery after catching rare virus in Asia. Seattle, WA: The Olympian, 2008..
- 5A case of imported JE acquired during short travel in Vietnam. Are current recommendations about vaccination broader? J Travel Med 2007; 14:346–348., , , et al.
- 6Japanese encephalitis after a 10-day holiday in Bali. Lancet 1995; 345:856–857., , , et al.
- 7Japanese encephalitis after a two-week holiday in Bali. Med J Aust 1989; 150:334–336, 339., , , et al.
- 8Japanese encephalitis vaccine for travelers: exploring the limits of risk. Clin Infect Dis 2002; 35:183–188., .
- 9Japan Ministry of Health Law. About the forbearance of positive encouragement of the encephalitis B vaccination. 2005. Available at: http://www.mhlw.go.jp/topics/2005/05/tp0530-1. (Accessed 2008 Dec 1)
- 10Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 trial of the safety and tolerability of ic51, an inactivated Japanese encephalitis vaccine. J Infect Dis 2008; 198:493–499., , , et al.
- 11Safety and immunogenicity of a Vero-cell-derived, inactivated Japanese encephalitis vaccine: a non-inferiority, phase III, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2007; 370:1847–1853., , , et al.
- 12Long-term immunogenicity of the new Vero cell-derived, inactivated Japanese encephalitis virus vaccine IC51 Six and 12 month results of a multicenter follow-up phase 3 study. Vaccine 2008; 26:4382–4386., , , et al.
- 13Ratios of subclinical to clinical Japanese encephalitis (JE) virus infections in vaccinated populations: evaluation of an inactivated JE vaccine by comparing the ratios with those in unvaccinated populations. Vaccine 2002; 21:98–107., .
- 14Japanese encephalitis vaccines. In: PlotkinS, OrensteinW, eds. Vaccines. 3rd Ed. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders, 1999: 672–710., .
- 15Long-term disability from acute childhood Japanese encephalitis in Shanghai, China. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2007; 77:528–533., , , et al.
- 16Cost-effectiveness of Japanese encephalitis (JE) immunization in Bali, Indonesia. Vaccine 2008; 26:4456–4460., , , .
- 17The epidemiology, clinical features, and long-term prognosis of Japanese encephalitis in central Sarawak, Malaysia, 1997-2005. Clin Infect Dis 2008; 47:458–468., , , et al.
- 18Sequelae of Japanese B and mumps encephalitis: recent follow-up of patients affected in 1947-1948 epidemic on Guam. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1958; 7:481–490., .
- 19Outbreak of Japanese encephalitis on the island of Saipan, 1990. J Infect Dis 1993; 167:1053–1058., , , et al.
- 20An outbreak of Japanese encephalitis in the Torres Strait, Australia, 1995. Med J Aust 1996; 165:256–260., , , et al.
- 21Epidemiologic studies of concurrent virgin epidemics of Japanese B encephalitis and of mumps on Guam, 1947-1948, with subsequent observations including dengue, through 1957. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1958; 7:441–467., , , et al.
- 22Japanese encephalitis virus: ecology and epidemiology. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 2002; 267:11–48., .
- 23Control of Japanese encephalitis in Japan: immunization of humans and animals, and vector control. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 2002; 267:139–152..
- 24The natural history of Japanese encephalitis virus. Annu Rev Microbiol 1986; 40:395–414..
- 25Japanese encephalitis. In: MonathTP, ed. The arboviruses: epidemiology and ecology. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 1988: 63–92., .
- 26Japanese encephalitis vaccine. Acta Paediatr Jpn 1988; 30:175–184..
- 27The epidemiology of Japanese encephalitis on Taiwan during 1966-1997. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1999; 61:78–84., , , et al.
- 28Japanese encephalitis immunization in South Korea: past, present, and future. Emerg Infect Dis 2000; 6:17–24..
- 29[Epidemic situation analysis of Japanese encephalitis in 2005.]. Zhonghua Shi Yan He Lin Chuang Bing Du Xue Za Zhi 2006; 20:216–218., , , et al.
- 30[A large-scale study on the safety and epidemiological efficacy of Japanese encephalitis (JE) live vaccine (SA14-14-2) in the JE endemic areas]. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 1999; 20:38–41., , .
- 31New initiatives for the control of Japanese encephalitis by vaccination: minutes of a WHO/CVI meeting, Bangkok, Thailand, 13–15 October 1998. Vaccine 2000; 18(Suppl 2):1–25..
- 32World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). Tourism 2020 vision. 2007. Available at: http://unwtoorg/facts/eng/visionhtm. (Accessed 2008 Dec 1)
- 33World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). UNWTO World Tourism Barometer. 2008; 631–51. www.unwto.org.
- 34World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). Tourism Market Trends 2005: Asia and Pacific. Madrid, Spain: World Tourism Organization. 2006.
- 35Disease outcomes among travelers with different travel purposes: findings from GeoSentinel. 2nd Northern European Conference on Travel Medicine, Helsinki, Finland, 2008. (Abstr F6–F4), , , et al.
- 36A hospital-based surveillance for Japanese encephalitis in Bali, Indonesia. BMC Med 2006; 4:8., , , et al.
- 37Systemic reactions in U.S. Marine Corps personnel who received Japanese encephalitis vaccine. Clin Infect Dis 1997; 24:265–266., , , et al.
- 38Protection against Japanese encephalitis by inactivated vaccines. N Engl J Med 1988; 319:608–614., , , et al.
- 39The virulence to man of Japanese encephalitis virus in Thailand. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1975; 24:974–980., , , et al.
- 40Study of Japanese encephalitis virus in Chiangmai valley, Thailand. II. Human clinical infections. Am J Epidemiol 1973; 98:121–132., , , et al.
- 41A controlled field trial for an evaluation of effectiveness of mouse-brain Japanese encephalitis vaccine. Taiwan Yi Xue Hui Za Zhi 1971; 70:55–62., , , et al.
- 42Japanese encephalitis surveillance in China (Province of Taiwan) during 1968-1971. II. Age-specific incidence in connection with Japanese encephalitis vaccination program. Jpn J Med Sci Biol 1975; 28:255–267., , , et al.
- 43Regional workshop on control strategies for Japanese encephalitis. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 1995; 26:1–59., .
- 44A decade of Japanese encephalitis surveillance in Sarawak, Malaysia: 1997-2006. Trop Med Int Health 2008; 13:52–55., , , et al.
- 45A cohort study to assess the new WHO Japanese encephalitis surveillance standards. Bull World Health Organ 2008; 86:178–186., , , et al.
- 46Japanese encephalitis in China. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 1995; 26:17–22..
- 47A long-term study on vector abundance & seasonal prevalence in relation to the occurrence of Japanese encephalitis in Gorakhpur district, Uttar Pradesh. Indian J Med Res 2003; 117:104–110., , .
- 48[Japanese encephalitis in citizens of Russia who travel abroad]. Vopr Virusol 1996; 41:8–11., , , .
- 49Acute undifferentiated fever caused by infection with Japanese encephalitis virus. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2003; 68:704–706., .
- 50Japanese encephalitis virus is an important cause of encephalitis among children in Penang. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 1995; 26:272–275., , .
- 51Acute flaccid paralysis as an unusual presenting symptom of Japanese encephalitis: a case report and review of the literature. Infection 2007; 35:30–32., , , et al.
- 52[Case report of aseptic meningitis due to Japanese encephalitis virus]. Rinsho Shinkeigaku 2007; 47:109–111., , , et al.
- 53Hospital- and laboratory-based investigations of hospitalized children with central nervous system-related symptoms to assess Japanese encephalitis virus etiology in Cuddalore District, Tamil Nadu, India. J Clin Microbiol 2004; 42:2813–2815., , , et al.
- 54Hospital-based diagnosis of hemorrhagic fever, encephalitis, and hepatitis in Cambodian children. Emerg Infect Dis 2002; 8:485–489., , , et al.
- 55Use of IgM-capture ELISA for confirmation of Japanese encephalitis infections in the Philippines. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 2006; 37(Suppl 3):136–139., , , et al.
- 56Japanese encephalitis: surveillance and elimination effort in Japan from 1982 to 2004. Jpn J Infect Dis 2008; 61:333–338., , , et al.
- 57Infectious Disease Surveillance Center. Department of Health J. Japanese encephalitis HI antibody prevalence of swine in Japan. 2007. http://idsc.nih.go.jp/yosuku/JE/JEmap2007-E.html. (Accessed 2008 Dec 1)
- 58Analysis of yearly changes in levels of antibodies to Japanese encephalitis virus nonstructural 1 protein in racehorses in central Japan shows high levels of natural virus activity still exist. Vaccine 2006; 24:516–524., , .
- 59Survey of the antibody against Japanese encephalitis virus in Ryukyu wild boars (Sus scrofa riukiuanus) in Okinawa, Japan. Jpn J Infect Dis 2007; 60:309–311., , , et al.
- 60Presence of hemagglutination inhibition and neutralization antibodies to Japanese encephalitis virus in wild pigs on an offshore island in Singapore. Acta Trop 2002; 81:233–236., , , et al.
- 61Detection of antibodies to Japanese encephalitis virus in the wild boars in Hiroshima prefecture, Japan. Epidemiol Infect 2007; 135:974–977., , , et al.
- 62The seroprevalence of Japanese encephalitis virus in goats raised in Korea. J Vet Sci 2007; 8:197–199., , , et al.
- 63Laboratory transmission of Japanese encephalitis, West Nile, and Getah viruses by mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) collected near Camp Greaves, Gyeonggi Province, Republic of Korea 2003. J Med Entomol 2006; 43:1076–1081., , , et al.
- 64Japanese encephalitis viral infection remains common in Japan. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2008; 27:769–770., , .
- 65Natural infection with Japanese encephalitis virus among inhabitants of Japan: a nationwide survey of antibodies against nonstructural 1 protein. Vaccine 2006; 24:3054–3056., , , et al.
- 66A longitudinal study of Japanese encephalitis in suburban Bangkok, Thailand. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 1987; 18:558–566., , , et al.
- 67Japanese encephalitis virus in Bangkok: factors influencing vector infections in three suburban communities. J Med Entomol 1992; 29:436–444., , , et al.
- 68Japanese encephalitis for a reference to international travelers. J Travel Med 2007; 14:259–268., .
- 69Wind-blown mosquitoes and introduction of Japanese encephalitis into Australia. Emerg Infect Dis 2001; 7:900–903., .
- 70Shift in Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV) genotype circulating in northern Vietnam: implications for frequent introductions of JEV from Southeast Asia to East Asia. J Gen Virol 2004; 85:1625–1631., , , et al.
- 71Autumn southward ‘return’ migration of the mosquito Culex tritaeniorhynchus in China. Med Vet Entomol 1993; 7:323–327., , , et al.
- 72Detection of Japanese encephalitis virus antibody in a pig on Yonaguni Island, where all pigs were slaughtered in 1997. Jpn J Infect Dis 2007; 60:70–71., , , et al.
- 73First report on high-degree endophilism in Culex tritaeniorhynchus (Diptera: Culicidae) in an area endemic for Japanese encephalitis. J Med Entomol 2004; 41:994–996., .
- 74MandellG, BennettJ, DolinR, eds. Principles and practice of infectious diseases. 5th Ed. Philadelphia, PA: Churchill-Livingston, 2000: 1714–1736.. In:
- 75An unexpected outbreak of Japanese encephalitis in the Chugoku district of Japan, 2002. Jpn J Infect Dis 2004; 57:63–66., , , et al.
- 76[Laboratory testing of sepcimens from patients with viral encephalitis from some regions of China]. Zhonghua Shi Yan He Lin Chuang Bing Du Xue Za Zhi 2008; 22:98–100., , , et al.
- 77Clinical characteristics and laboratory assay of adult Japanese encephalitis patients in an outbreak in Yuncheng, Shanxi Province, 2006]. Zhonghua Shi Yan He Lin Chuang Bing Du Xue Za Zhi 2008; 22:95–97., , , et al.
- 78RichmanD, WhitleyR, HaydenF, eds. Clinical virology. 2nd Ed. Washington, DC: American Society of Microbiology, 2002: 1097–1092., . . In:
- 79Epidemiological aspects of a St. Louis encephalitis outbreak in Harris County, Texas, 1986. J Infect Dis 1988; 157:351–356., , , et al.
- 80Japanese encephalitis virus infects neural progenitor cells and decreases their proliferation. J Neurochem 2008; 106:1624–1636., .
- 81A prospective evaluation of factors associated with chorioretinitis in patients with West Nile virus infection. Ocul Immunol Inflamm 2007; 15:435–439., , , et al.
- 82West Nile viremic blood donors and risk factors for subsequent West Nile fever. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 2007; 7:479–488., , , et al.
- 83Risk factors for encephalitis and death from West Nile virus infection. Epidemiol Infect 2006; 134:1325–1332., , , et al.
- 84Risk factors for West Nile virus neuroinvasive disease, California, 2005. Emerg Infect Dis 2007; 13:1918–1920., , , .
- 85Relationship of hypertensive vascular disease to mortality in cases of St. Louis encephalitis. Med Bull St Louis Univ 1952; 4:32–37..
- 86Community-acquired West Nile virus infection in solid-organ transplant recipients. Transplantation 2004; 77:399–402., , , et al.
- 87Effect of congestive heart failure on humoral and ex vivo cellular immune responses to influenza vaccination in older adults. Vaccine 2004; 22:681–688., , , et al.
- 88Epidemiologic studies of possible cross protection between dengue and St. Louis encephalitis arboviruses in Florida. Am J Epidemiol 1970; 92:321–329., .
- 89The effect of dengue virus infection on the clinical sequelae of Japanese encephalitis: a one year follow-up study in Thailand. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 1975; 6:308–315., , , et al.
- 90Clinical and immunological risk factors for severe disease in Japanese encephalitis. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2002; 96:173–178., , , et al.
- 91West Nile virus meningoencephalitis and acute flaccid paralysis after infliximab treatment. J Rheumatol 2006; 33:191–192., .
- 92Cerebral cysticercosis as a factor aggravating Japanese B encephalitis. Chin Med J 1957; 75:1010–1017., , .
- 93Coinfection of Japanese encephalitis with neurocysticercosis: an imaging study. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2008; 29:170–175., , , et al.
- 94Coexistent neurocysticercosis and Japanese B encephalitis: MR imaging correlation. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2001; 22:1131–1136., , , et al.
- 95Japanese B encephalitis with neurocysticercosis. J Assoc Physicians India 1991; 39:643–644., , , et al.
- 96Co-existence of cerebral cysticercosis with Japanese encephalitis: a prognostic modulator. Epidemiol Infect 1997; 118:165–171., , , et al.
- 97Is neurocysticercosis a risk factor in coexistent intracranial disease? An MRI based study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2003; 74:359–361., , , et al.
- 98Experimental double infection of Japanese encephalitis virus and herpes simplex virus in mouse brain. Jpn J Exp Med 1977; 47:9–13., .
- 99Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV): potentiation of lethality in mice by microwave radiation. Bioelectromagnetics 1991; 12:335–348., .
- 100Vaccine-associated poliovirus meningitis in children with ventriculoperitoneal shunts. J Pediatr 1990; 117:424–427., .
- 101Can we prevent cochlear implant recipients from developing pneumococcal meningitis? Clin Infect Dis 2008; 46:e1–e7., , , et al.
- 102Pneumococcal vaccination for cochlear implant candidates and recipients: updated recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2003; 52:739–740.
- 103Japanese encephalitis virus infection during pregnancy. Indian J Med Res 1985; 81:9–12., , , et al.
- 104Transplacental infection with Japanese encephalitis virus. J Infect Dis 1980; 141:712–715., , , et al.
- 105Intrauterine West Nile virus: ocular and systemic findings. Am J Ophthalmol 2003; 136:733–735., , .
- 106Interim guidelines for the evaluation of infants born to mothers infected with West Nile virus during pregnancy. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2004; 53:154–157.
- 107Birth outcomes following West Nile Virus infection of pregnant women in the United States: 2003-2004. Pediatrics 2006; 117:e537–e545., , , et al.
- 108West Nile virus infection among pregnant women in a northern Colorado community, 2003 to 2004. Pediatrics 2006; 117:814–820., , , et al.
- 109Intrauterine West Nile virus infection—New York, 2002. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2002; 51:1135–1136.
- 110Congenital arboviral infections: something new, something old. Pediatrics 2006; 117:936–939..
- 111Genetic deficiency of chemokine receptor CCR5 is a strong risk factor for symptomatic West Nile virus infection: a meta-analysis of 4 cohorts in the US epidemic. J Infect Dis 2008; 197:262–265., , , et al.
- 112CCR5: no longer a “good for nothing” gene—chemokine control of West Nile virus infection. Trends Immunol 2006; 27:308–312., , , .
- 113A genetic basis for human susceptibility to West Nile virus. Trends Microbiol 2006; 14:287–289., .
- 114Severe tick-borne encephalitis in a patient previously infected by West Nile virus. Scand J Infect Dis 2008; 40:759–761., , , et al.
- 115A deletion in the chemokine receptor 5 (CCR5) gene is associated with tickborne encephalitis. J Infect Dis 2008; 197:266–269., , , et al.
- 116The meningococcal vaccine—public policy and individual choices. N Engl J Med 2003; 349:2353–2356., .
- 117Allergic reactions to Japanese encephalitis vaccine. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am 2003; 23:665–697..
- 118Side-effects with Japanese encephalitis vaccine. Lancet 1991; 337:1044., .
- 119Case-control study of allergic reactions to Japanese encephalitis vaccine. Vaccine 2000; 18:1830–1836., , .
- 120Allergic mucocutaneous reactions to Japanese encephalitis vaccine. Vaccine 1997; 15:1239–1243., .
- 121Anaphylaxis to Japanese encephalitis vaccine. Allergy 2001; 56:804–805., , , et al.
- 122Specific IgE and IgG to gelatin in children with systemic cutaneous reactions to Japanese encephalitis vaccines. Allergy 2001; 56:536–539., , .
- 123Two patterns of systemic immediate-type reactions to Japanese encephalitis vaccines. Vaccine 1998; 16:68–69., .
- 124Systemic immediate-type reactions to gelatin included in Japanese encephalitis vaccines. Vaccine 1997; 15:121–122., , , et al.
- 125Neurological complications to vaccination against Japanese encephalitis. Eur J Neurol 1998; 5:479–485., , .
- 126Tsai1 TF, Chen RT. Adverse events after Japanese encephalitis vaccination: review of post-marketing surveillance data from Japan and the United States. The VAERS Working Group. Vaccine 2000; 18:2963–2969., ,
- 127Vaccine adverse events reported in post-marketing study of the Kitasato Institute from 1994 to 2004. Vaccine 2007; 25:570–576., .
- 128Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Announcement for healthcare professionals: Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine Availability. 2008. Available at: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/contentJapaneseEncephVaccine.aspx. (Accessed 2008 Dec 1)
- 129Japanese encephalitis in a U.S. traveler returning from Thailand, 2004. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2005; 54:123–125.
- 130Deutsche Gesellschaft für Tropenmedizin und Internationale Gesundheit. Recommendations on travel vaccines. 2008. Available at: http://www.dtg.org/impfungen.html. (Accessed 2008 Dec 1)
- 131Institut de Veille Sanitaire. Health recommendations for travelers. 2007. Available at: http://www.invs.sante.fr/beh/default.htm. (Accessed 2008 Dec 1)
- 132National Travel Health Network and Centre. Travel health information sheets—Japanese encephalitis. 2007. Available at: http://www.nathnac.org/pro/factsheets/index.htm. (Accessed 2008 Dec 1)
- 133Safety and immunogenicity of concomitant vaccination with IC51 and Hepatitis A vaccine in healthy subjects. A single-blind randomized controlled phase 3 study. Abstracts of the 56th American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene Annual Meeting 2007. (Abstr 122), , , et al.