Working Misunderstandings: Donors, Brokers, and Villagers in Africa's AIDS Industry
Article first published online: 19 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Population Council, Inc.
Population and Development Review
Volume 38, Issue Supplement s1, pages 197–218, February 2013
How to Cite
Watkins, S. C. and Swidler, A. (2013), Working Misunderstandings: Donors, Brokers, and Villagers in Africa's AIDS Industry. Population and Development Review, 38: 197–218. doi: 10.1111/j.1728-4457.2013.00560.x
- Issue published online: 19 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 19 FEB 2013
- Agence France Presse. 2011. “Anglican leader urges acceptance of people with HIV,” CDC HIV/Hepatitis/STD/TB Prevention News Update 10/14/2011, Zambia.
- 2002. Poverty, AIDS, and Children's Schooling: A Targeting Dilemma. Washington , DC : World Bank Policy Research Working Paper No. 2885, September. and .
- 2004. “Introduction: Why don't HIV/AIDS policies work?,” Journal of International Development 16: 1123–1127. .
- 2006. “Like chameleons: Civil servants and corruption in Malawi,” Le Bulletin De L'APAD 23–24. .
- Balaka Acting District AIDS Coordinator. 2010. “World AIDS Day Commemoration Report 2010,” Balaka District Assembly, Office of the District AIDS Coordinator.
- Balaka District Assembly. 2000. HIV/AIDS Plan 2000–2002.
- 2003. The Spirit of Development: Protestant NGOs, Morality, and Economics in Zimbabwe. London : Routledge. .
- 2012. “Faith-based humanitarianism: Organizational change and everyday meanings in South Africa,” Sociology of Religion. doi:10.1093socrelsrs068. .
- 2004. “Giving care to people with symptoms of AIDS in rural sub-Saharan Africa.” AIDS Care 16: 795–807. and .
- 2002. “Social exclusion and inclusion: Challenges to orphan care in Malawi,” Nordic Journal of African Studies 11: 93–113. .
- 2006. “The key lesson of family planning programs for HIV/AIDS control,” AIDS 20: 1–3. and .
- 2006. “The search for healing: The AIDS epidemic in Gwembe Valley,” in Philippe Denis and Charles Becker (eds.), The HIV/AIDS Epidemic in Sub-Saharan Africa in a Historical Perspective. «http://www.refer.sn/rds/IMG/pdf/AIDSHISTORYALL.pdf. .
- 2002. “The NGO scramble: Organizational insecurity and the political economy of transnational action,” International Security 27: 5–39. and .
- 1998. “Modernizing bureaucrats, backward Africans and the development concept,” in Frederick Cooper and Randall Packard (eds.), International Development and the Social Sciences. Berkeley : University of California Press. .
- 2003. “How will HIV/AIDS transform African governance?,” African Affairs 102: 1–23. .
- 1983. “The iron cage revisited: Institutional isomorphism and collective rationality in organizational fields,” American Sociological Review 48: 147–160. and .
- 2008. “Gender in African population research: The fertility/reproductive health example,” Annual Review of Sociology 34: 431–452. and .
- 2009. “Can the West save Africa?,” Journal of Economic Literature 47: 373–447. .
- 2006. Prisoners of Freedom: Human Rights and the African Poor. Berkeley : University of California Press. .
- 1996. Impure Science: AIDS, Activism, and the Politics of Knowledge. Berkeley : University of California Press. .
- European Union. 2005. World AIDS Day—EU Statement on HIV Prevention for an AIDS Free Generation.
- 2007. “University expansion and the knowledge society,” Theory and Society 36: 287–311. and .
- 2012. Bright futures in Malawi's new dawn: Educational aspirations as assertions of identity,” American Journal of Sociology 117(6): 1565–1624. .
- 2005. The Samaritan's Dilemma: The Political Economy of Development Aid. New York : Oxford University Press. , , , and .
- 1996. “Political science and the three new institutionalisms,” Political Studies 44: 936–957. and .
- 2010. “Rethinking gender, heterosexual men, and women's vulnerability to HIV/AIDS,” American Journal of Public Health 100: 435–445. , , and .
- 2009. The Secret: Love, Marriage, and HIV. Nashville : Vanderbilt University Press. et al.
- 2007. Triumph of the Expert: Agrarian Doctrines of Development and the Legacies of British Colonialism. Athens : Ohio University Press. .
- 1997. “Feminists and neo-Malthusians: Past and present alliances,” Population and Development Review 23: 469–523. and .
- 2010. Love in the Time of AIDS: Inequality, Gender and Rights in South Africa. Bloomington : University of Indiana Press. .
- 2000. Children on the Brink: Executive Summary, Updated Estimates and Recommendations for Intervention. Washington , DC : United States Agency for International Development. and .
- 2004. “Global policy in practice: The ‘successful failure’ of free primary education in Malawi,” Ph.D. dissertation, School of Education, Stanford University. .
- 2010. Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide. New York : Random House. and .
- Lewis, David and David Mosse (eds.). 2006. Development, Brokers and Translators: The Ethnography of Aid and Agency. Bloomfield , CT : Kumarian Press.
- 2002. “Reactions of developing-country national elites to international population policy,” Population and Development Review 28: 707–733. and .
- 2012. “Volunteerism or labor exploitation? Harnessing the volunteer spirit to sustain AIDS treatment programs in urban Ethiopia,” Human Organization 71: 54–64. .
- 2010. Explaining Institutional Change: Ambiguity, Agency, and Power. Cambridge University Press. and .
- 2006. Human Rights and Gender Violence: Translating International Law into Local Justice. University of Chicago Press. .
- Mosse, David and David Lewis (eds.). 2005. The Aid Effect: Ethnographies of Development Practice and Neo-liberal Reform. London : Pluto Press.
- 2009. Dead Aid: Why Aid is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for Africa. New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux. .
- 2009. “Malawi-rights: Police testing sex workers for HIV by force,” Inter Press Service, 10 October. .
- 2002. “Canada grants K700m for Aids,” The Daily Times (Malawi) 27 February, p. 13.
- 2006. Anthropology of Development: Understanding Contemporary Social Change. London : Zed Books. .
- 2010. “Weighing the gold in the gold standard: Challenges in HIV prevention research,” AIDS 24: 621–635. , , , and .
- 2008. “Rethinking HIV prevention,” Science 320: 749–750. et al.
- 2012. “The case of the missing men: The mismatch between men's vulnerability to HIV and the ‘vulnerable women’ client category,” paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America, San Francisco, 1–3 May. and .
- 2008. “Orphanhood in Malawi, 2004–2006,” report prepared for the Malawi Ministry of Women and Child Development, May.
- 2004. “The global fight against AIDS: How adequate are the National Commissions?,” Journal of International Development 16: 1129–1140. .
- Republic of Malawi and World Bank. 2007. Malawi Poverty and Vulnerability Assessments: Investing in Our Future. Washington , DC : World Bank.
- Reuters. 2002. “Bush pledges $500m … to help fight HIV/Aids,” The Daily Times (Malawi), 20 June, p. 9.
- 2011. “From population to HIV: The organizational and structural determinants of HIV outcomes in sub-Saharan Africa,” Journal of the International AIDS Society 14(Supp. 2): S6. .
- 2011. “Hiding the real Africa: Why NGOs prefer bad news,” Columbia Journalism Review, 21 March. .
- 2012. “Agro-fund gives Malawi US$93m,” The Daily Times, 28 May, p. 8. .
- 1987. And the Band Played On: Politics, People and the AIDS Epidemic. New York : St. Martin's Press. .
- 1982. “State capacity and economic intervention in the early New Deal,” Political Science Quarterly 97: 255–278. and .
- 2003. “Patronage, per diems and the ‘workshop mentality’: The practice of family planning programs in Southeastern Nigeria,” World Development 31: 703–715.
- 2009. “‘Teach a man to fish’: The sustainability doctrine and its social consequences,” World Development 37: 1182–1196. and .
- 2007. “Sex in Geneva, sex in Lilongwe, sex in Balaka,” Social Science & Medicine 64: 1090–1101. and .
- 2005. “Western beliefs and local myths: A case study on the interface between farmers, NGOs and the state in Guinea-Bissau rural development interventions,” in Jim Igoe and Tim Kelsall (eds.), Between a Rock and a Hard Place: African NGOs, Donors and the State. Durham , NC : Carolina Academic Press. .
- The Nation (Malawi). 2011. “Briefs: Concern universal embarks on k640m project,” 5 August, p. 3.
- 2004. How Institutions Evolve: The Political Economy of Skills in Germany, Britain, the United States and Japan. Cambridge University Press. .
- Times Reporter. 2006. “UNFPA, BLM launch K437.5m youth project,” The Daily Times, 26 June, p. 2.
- 2011. “Religious doctrine in the context of AIDS,” unpublished manuscript, Department of Sociology, Pennsylvania State University. .
- United Nations. 2001. Agenda Item 179: Review of the Problem of Human Immunodeficiency Virus/Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome in All Its Aspects. New York : United Nations General Assembly.
- USAID. 2002. “ABCs” of HIV Prevention: Report of a USAID Technical Meeting on Behavior Change Approaches to Primary Prevention of HIV/AIDS. Washington, DC.
- USAID. 2003. “The final evaluation of the Partnership for Equity, Access and Quality (PEAQ) Child Survival Project, Belaka District, Malawi,” Report FAO-A-00-99-0050-00.
- 2012. “Perceptions of per diems in the health sector: Evidence and implications,” unpublished manuscript. , , , and .
- 2007. The Aid Chain: Coercion and Commitment in Development NGOs. Warwickshire , England : Practical Action Publishing. with and .
- 2004. “Navigating the AIDS epidemic in rural Malawi,” Population and Development Review 30: 673–705. .
- 2010. “Back to basics: Gender, social norms and the AIDS epidemic in Africa,” in David E. Sahn (ed.), The Socioeconomic Dimensions of HIV/AIDS in Africa: Challenges, Opportunities and Misconceptions. Ithaca : Cornell University Press. .
- 2012. “Outsourcing social transformation: Development NGOs as organizations,” Annual Review of Sociology 38. , , and .
- 1987. Magomero: Portrait of an African Village. Cambridge University Press. .