The Twilight of the Census
Version of Record online: 19 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Population Council, Inc.
Population and Development Review
Volume 38, Issue Supplement s1, pages 334–351, February 2013
How to Cite
Coleman, D. (2013), The Twilight of the Census. Population and Development Review, 38: 334–351. doi: 10.1111/j.1728-4457.2013.00568.x
- Issue online: 19 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 19 FEB 2013
- 2007. “2011 Census coverage assessment and adjustment strategy,” Population Trends 127: 7–14. .
- Aly, Götz, Karl Heinz Roth, Edwin Black, and Assenka Oksiloff (eds.). 2004. The Nazi Census: Identification and Control in the Third Reich. Philadelphia : Temple University Press.
- 2008. “‘The majority will not be involved’—Germany finds a new way to conduct the population and housing census,” Sigma 2008(1): 12–13. .
- 2012. “Why do we still need a census? Panel on ‘Why do we still need a census?,’” Waterloo, Wilfrid Laurier University, Canadian Association of Geographers and the Canadian Population Society, p. 4. .
- 2012. “Imagining a census survey without a mandate,” Wall Street Journal, 30 March, p. 3.
- 2004. “Editorial: The 2001 census: remarkable resource or bygone legacy of the ‘pencil and paper era?,’” Area 36(2): 101–110. and .
- 1872. “Report on the Eighth International Statistical Congress, held at St. Petersburg, 22nd/10th August to 29th/17th, 1872,” Journal of the Statistical Society of London 35(4): 431–457.
- 2008. Census Quality. Paris , INSEE. and .
- 2008. “Is China abolishing the hukou system?,” The China Quarterly (September): 582–606. and .
- 2011. “France's redesigned census: Lessons and prospects,” Conference of the Italian Statistical Society—Statistics in the 150 years from the Unification of Italy. University of Bologna, Bologna , UN Census Knowledge Base, p. 13.
- 1970. Demography, 4th edition. Cambridge , Cambridge University Press.
- 2008. “Strengths and uncertainties of the French annual census surveys,” Population 63: 415–439. .
- 2010. “The value of the long form Canadian census for long term national and international research,” Canadian Public Policy—Analyse de politiques 36(3): 389–393.
- Edelman Trust Barometer. 2012 “The state of trust,” «http://trust.edelman.com/trusts/path-forward/ http://www.slideshare.net/EdelmanInsights/2012-edelman-trust-barometer-global-deck)».
- Enterprise Privacy Group. 2005. The Identity Project: An Assessment of the UK Identity Card and Its Implications. London : London School of Economics Department of Information Systems.
- Human Rights Watch. 2012. “Forget about Him; He's Not Here.” Israel's Control of Palestinian Residency in the West Bank and Gaza. New York : Human Rights Watch, p. 90. «http://www.hrw.org/reports/2012/02/05/forget-about-him-he-s-not-here-0.
- 2011 “The census has become far too nosey,” Daily Telegraph 21 February. .
- 1992. “Quand une population est-elle une nation? Quand une nation est-elle un état? La démographie et l'émergence d'un dilemme moderne, 1770–187, Population 47(6): 1639–1656. .
- 1984. “Contribution to Conference on Federal Statistics and National Needs,” prepared for the Subcommittee on Energy, Nuclear Proliferation and Government Processes of the Committee on Governmental Affairs, United States Senate. Federal Statistics and National Needs. Washington, DC, Congressional Research Service, Library of Congress.
- 2005. “The American Community Survey,” Population Bulletin 60(3): 24. , .
- National Center for Health Statistics. 1980. The Person-Number Systems of Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and Israel. Vital and Health Statistics. Data Evaluation and Methods Research, Series 2, Number 84. Hyattsville , MD : National Center for Health Statistics.
- Office of the Registrar General India. 2009. “National Population Register (NPR) in India—A step towards register based census,” 57th Session of the International Statistical Institute (ISI), Durban (South Africa), UN Census Knowledge Base, p. 3.
- ONS, 2012. “Beyond 2011—the future of population statistics? Note by the Office for National Statistics, United Kingdom,” Economic Commission for Europe Conference of European Statisticians UNECE-Eurostat Expert Group Meeting on Censuses Using Registers 22–23 May 2012, Geneva, United Nations, p. 11.
- 2012. “Killing the American Community Survey blinds business,” Bloomberg Businessweek (10 May).
- 2008. “France's rolling census provides fresher data and spreads costs,” Vista 2008(1): 14–15. .
- 2000. “Dutch population statistics based on population register data,” Maandstatistiek van de bevolking 48(February): 9–15.
- 2012. “The beginning of the end of the census?,” New York Times (19 May).
- 2012 “The truth about public trust in government,” «http://www.opendemocracy.net/charles-barclay-roger/truth-about-public-trust-in-government)».
- 1999. Powers of Freedom: Reframing Political Thought. Cambridge , Cambridge University Press.
- 2011. “Le recensement et la construction de concepts et d'imaginaires: La fin des recensement?,” 11th ACFAS Conference (Association francophone pour le savoir). Montreal.
- 2006. “How should the diverse origins of people living in France be described? An exploratory survey of employees’ and students’ perceptions,” Population and Societies, no. 425, juillet. and .
- Statistics Austria. 2008. “Register-based census 2010 and census test 2006 in Austria,” Economic Commission for Europe / Conference of European Statisticians Joint UNECE/Eurostat Meeting on Population and Housing Censuses Eleventh Meeting. Geneva, UNECE / Eurostat, p. 14.
- Statistics Austria. 2011. Register Based Census. Vienna : Statistics Austria, p. 3.
- Statistics Netherlands. 2012. “Comparing approaches of different (partly) register-based countries: Note by Statistics Netherlands,” UNECE-Eurostat Expert Group Meeting on Censuses Using Registers, Geneva, 22–23 May 2012. Geneva : UNECE.
- Statistics Norway. 2008. “Topics difficult to measure in a register-based census,” Joint UNECE / Eurostat Meeting on Population and Housing Censuses. eleventh meeting. Geneva : UN Economic Commission for Europe / Eurostat., p, 11.
- Statistics Sweden. 2006. Historic Population Register. Population and Welfare Statistics 2006: 3. Örebro : Stockholm, Statistics Sweden.
- The Economist. 2010. “Leviathan's spyglass: The traditional census is dying, and a good thing too,” 15 July: 16.
- UK Cards Association. 2011. A Decade of Cards. 2000–2010-and Beyond, UK Cards Association.
- UNECE. 2007. Register-based Statistics in the Nordic Countries. Review of Best Practices with Focus on Population and Social Statistics.
- UNECE. 2010. “Main results of the UNECE–UNSD survey on the 2010–2011 round of censuses in the UNECE region,” Economic Commission for Europe Conference of European Statisticians Group of Experts on Population and Housing Censuses Thirteenth Meeting. Geneva : United Nations, pp. 13.
- UNECE. 2012. “Population and housing censuses 2010 population census round,” «http://www1.unece.org/stat/platform/display/censuses/2010+Population+Census+Round», «http://www1.unece.org/stat/platform/display/censuses/UNECE+Census+Wiki.
- United Nations. 1969. Methodology and Evaluation of Population Registers and Similar Systems. Studies in Methods, Series F no. 15. New York : United Nations.
- United Nations Committee on Economic, Social, and Cultural Rights. 2005. Concluding Observations of the Committee on the Initial Report of the People's Republic of China (including Hong Kong and Macao), May 13, 2005. New York : United Nations.
- United Nations Statistics Division. 2010. “Report on the results of a survey on census methods used by countries in the 2010 census round,” Working Paper UNSD/DSSB/1, United Nations, New York.
- United Nations Statistics Division. 2012. 2010 World Population and Housing Census Programme. New York : United Nations.
- 2010. “Census taking in Europe—How are populations counted in 2010?,” Population and Society 467: pp. 4. .
- 2011. “Innovative approaches to census-taking: Overview of the 2011 census round in Europe,” Statistics in the 150 Years from Italian Unification. Bologna : Italian Statistical Society, Istat and Banca d'Italia. .
- Warren, Mark E. (ed.). 1999. Democracy and Trust. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- Watner, C. and W. McElroy (eds.). 2003. National Identification Systems: Essays in Opposition. McFarland.
- 2008. “The end of a 250-year-old Swedish tradition: A new dwellings register to replace population and housing censuses,” Sigma 2008(1): 10–11.
- 2008. “Population: Size, structure and distribution,” United Nations Expert Group Meeting on The Scope and Content of Social Statistics. New York : United Nations.