Women's Acceptance of Intimate Partner Violence within Marriage in Rural Bangladesh
Article first published online: 26 FEB 2008
2008 The Population Council, Inc.
Studies in Family Planning
Volume 39, Issue 1, pages 49–58, March 2008
How to Cite
Schuler, S. R. and Islam, F. (2008), Women's Acceptance of Intimate Partner Violence within Marriage in Rural Bangladesh. Studies in Family Planning, 39: 49–58. doi: 10.1111/j.1728-4465.2008.00150.x
- Issue published online: 26 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 26 FEB 2008
- 2007. “Does women's education influence the timing of marriage and childbearing in the next generation? Evidence from rural Bangladesh. Studies in Family Planning 38(2): 101–112. , , and .
- 2004. “Socio-economic factors and processes associated with domestic violence in rural Bangladesh. International Family Planning Perspectives 30(4): 190–199. , , and .
- Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS). 2004. Baseline Survey for Assessing Attitudes and Practices of Male and Female Members and In-Laws Towards Gender Based Violence. Dhaka : United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA).
- 2005. Preventing and Responding to Gender–based Violence in Middle and Low Income Countries: A Global Review and Analysis. Washington , DC : World Bank: 61. , , and .
- 2005. Researching Violence against Women: A Practical Guide for Researchers and Activists. Washington , DC : World Health Organization and PATH. and .
- 2006. Personal communication. 9 July. ( , , and , PATH).
- 2006. Personal communication. 9 July. (Senior Advisor, Gender, Violence, and Human Rights, PATH) and Sunita Kishor (Senior Gender Specialist, ORC Macro).
- 2001. “Researching domestic violence against women: Methodological and ethical considerations. Studies in Family Planning 32(1): 1–16. , , , , and .
- 2005a. “Violence against women. Science 310(5,752): 1,282–1,283. , , , , and .
- 2005b. WHO Multi-Country Study on Women's Health and Domestic Violence against Women: Initial Results on Prevalence, Health Outcomes and Women's Responses. Geneva : World Health Organization.
- 2000. “Prevalence and correlates of the risk of marital sexual violence in Bangladesh. Journal of Interpersonal Violence 15(8): 787–805.
- 1999. “Ending Violence against Women.” Population Reports, Series L, No. 11. Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health, Population Information Program. , , and .
- 1994. “Violence against Women: The Hidden Health Burden.” World Bank Discussion Paper Series No. 255. Washington , DC : World Bank. , , and .
- 2001. “Women, employment and the family: Poor informal sector women workers of Dhaka City.” Sussex : University of Sussex. Doctoral dissertation.
- 2004. Violence against Women within Marriage in Bangladesh. Washington , DC : Academy for Educational Development. , , , et al.
- 2002. “Intimate partner violence: Causes and prevention. Lancet 359(9,315): 1,423–1,429.
- 2001. “Violence against women and its impact on women's lives: Some observations from Bangladesh. Journal of Family Welfare 46(2): 12–24. , , and .
- 2007. Personal communication. 2 May. . (Senior Gender Specialist, ORC Macro).
- 2004. Profiling Domestic Violence: A Multi-Country Study. Calverton , MD : ORC Macro. and .
- 2003. “Women's status and domestic violence in rural Bangladesh: Individual- and community-level effects. Demography 40(2): 269–288. , , , and .
- 2001. “Domestic violence—emerging challenges.” Paper presented at the 4th National Outlook Symposium on Crime in Australia, New Crimes or New Responses?, Australian Institute of Criminology, Canberra , 21–22 June.
- 2004. “Baseline survey for assessing attitudes and practices of male and female members and in-laws towards gender based violence.” Paper presented at a seminar organized by UN-FPA, Dhaka, 23 November 2005. P. 148.
- 2005. “Factors associated with spousal physical violence against women in Bangladesh. Studies in Family Planning 36(4): 289–300. and .
- 2006. “Physical violence by husbands: Magnitude, disclosure and help-seeking behavior of women in Bangladesh. Social Science & Medicine 62(12): 2,917–2,929. , , , and .
- NIPORT, Mitra and Associates, and ORC Macro. 2005. Bangladesh Demographic and Health Survey 2004. Calverton , MD : National Institute of Population Research and Training (NIPORT): 342.
- 2002. “Paying for reproductive health services in Bangladesh: Intersections between cost, quality and culture. Health Policy and Planning 17(3): 273–280. , , and .
- 2008. “Women's rights, domestic violence, and recourse-seeking in rural Bangladesh. Violence Against Women 14(3): 326–345. , , , and .
- 1996. “Credit programs, patriarchy, and men's violence against women in rural Bangladesh. Social Science & Medicine 43(12): 1,729–1,742. , , , and .
- 2003. Paving the Way to Justice: The Experience of Nagorik Uddyog. Bangladesh : Karmik, One World Action: 25.
- 1998. “The Impact of a Micro–credit Programme on Women's Empowerment and Fertility Behavior in Rural Bangladesh.” Policy Research Division Working Paper No. 115. New York : Population Council. , , and .
- United Nations. 1993. Declaration on the Elimination of Violence against Women. Proceedings of the 85th Plenary Meeting. Geneva : United Nations.
- 2007. Defending Human Rights: Citizens, Civil Society and the State, The Bangladesh Human Rights Advocacy Program Experience 2001-2007. Washington , DC : USAID and AED. and .
- 2002. “Violence against women: Global scope and magnitude. Lancet 359(9,313): 1,232–1,237. and .
- World Health Organization (WHO). 2001. Putting Women First: Ethical and Safety Recommendations for Research on Domestic Violence against Women. Geneva : WHO.
- World Health Organization (WHO). 2002. Social Science Research Initiative on Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health. Geneva : WHO.