Intimate Partner Violence and Interference with Women's Efforts to Avoid Pregnancy in Jordan
Version of Record online: 20 MAY 2008
© 2008 The Population Council, Inc.
Studies in Family Planning
Volume 39, Issue 2, pages 123–132, June 2008
How to Cite
Clark, C. J., Silverman, J., Khalaf, I. A., Abu Ra'ad, B., Abu Al Sha'ar, Z., Abu Al Ata, A. and Batieha, A. (2008), Intimate Partner Violence and Interference with Women's Efforts to Avoid Pregnancy in Jordan. Studies in Family Planning, 39: 123–132. doi: 10.1111/j.1728-4465.2008.00159.x
- Issue online: 20 MAY 2008
- Version of Record online: 20 MAY 2008
- 1986. “Sex preference, fertility, and family planning in China. Population and Development Review 12(2): 221–246. and
- 1998. “Family planning use often a family decision. Network 18(4 10–11, 13–14.
- 1999. “The impact of family planning on women's lives: Findings from the Women's Studies Project in Mali and Zimbabwe. African Journal of Reproductive Health 3(1): 27–38. , , et al.
- 1999. “Women's fears and men's anxieties: The impact of family planning on gender relations in northern Ghana. Studies in Family Planning 30(1): 54–66. , , , and
- 2001. “The contraception-adoption process in Jordan. CMS Country Research Series. Amman : Commercial Market Strategies. and .
- 1994. “The role and significance of consanguinity as a demographic variable. Population and Development Review 20(3): 561–584.
- 2002. “Monitoring contraceptive continuation: Links to fertility outcomes and quality of care. Studies in Family Planning 33(2): 127–140. , , and
- 1995. “The causes of unmet need for contraception and the social content of services. Studies in Family Planning 26(2): 57–75. and
- 2002. “Health consequences of intimate partner violence. Lancet 359(9,314): 1331–1336.
- 1995. “The influence of abuse on pregnancy intention. Women's Health Issues 5(4): 214–223. , , , and
- 2000. “Reproductive health consequences of intimate partner violence: A nursing research review. Clinical Nursing Research 9(3): 217–237. , , , and
- 2000. “Unmet need for family planning in developing countries and implications for population policy. Population and Development Review 26(4): 691–723. and
- A prevalence estimate of intimate partner violence in Jordan. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal. , , et al. Forthcoming. “
- 2001. Family Violence in Zarqa City: Descriptive Study. Zar-qa : Family Guidance and Awareness Center.
- Department of Statistics (DOS) (Jordan) and ORC Macro. 2003. Jordan Population and Family Health Survey 2002. Calverton , MD : DOS and ORC Macro.
- 2006. “Domestic violence against women in Egypt—Wife beating and health outcomes. Social Science & Medicine 62(5): 1260–1277. , , and
- 1975. “An economic framework for fertility analysis. Studies in Family Planning 6(3): 54–63.
- Family Health International (FHI). 2007. Women's Voices, Women's Lives: The Impact of Family Planning-A Synthesis of Findings from the Women's Studies Project. http://www.fhi.org/en/RH/Pubs/wsp/syn-thesis/index.htm. Accessed 30 January 2008.
- 1996. “In Their Own Words: A Qualitative Study of Family Planning in Jordan.” IEC Field Report No. 6. Baltimore , MD : Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Center for Communication Programs. , , and
- 2001. “What influences contraceptive use among young women in urban squatter settlements of Karachi, Pakistan. International Family Planning Perspectives 27(3): 130–136. , , , , and
- 2005. WHO Multi-country Study on Women's Health and Domestic Violence Against Women: Initial Results on Prevalence, Health Outcomes and Women's Responses. Geneva : WHO. , , , and
- 2002. “Beliefs of Jordanian women about wife-beating. Psychology of Women Quarterly 26(4): 282–291.
- 2005. “Consanguineous marriages in Jordan: Why is the rate changing with time. Clinical Genetics 67(6): 511–516. , , , and .
- 2005. “Impact of partner abuse on women's reproductive lives. Journal of the American Medical Women's Association 60(1): 42–45. , , , and
- 1995. “A study of rural women's decision-making power on reproduction and fertility. Chinese Journal of Population Science 7(3): 241–257.
- 2002. “A global overview of gender-based violence. International Journal of Gynaecology & Obstetrics 78(Supplement 1): S5–S14. , , and
- 2003. “Do mothers-in-law matter? Family dynamics and fertility decision-making in urban squatter settlements of Karachi, Pakistan. Journal of Biosocial Science 35(4): 545–558. , , , and
- 1998. “Sexual coercion, domestic violence, and negotiating condom use among low-income African American women. Journal of Womens Health 7(3): 371–378. , , , , and .
- 2004. “Exploring the use of modern contraceptive methods among Jordanian Women: A qualitative study. Dirasat, Medical and Biological Sciences 31(1): 46–66.
- 2004. “Domestic violence in refugee camps in Jordan. International Journal of Gynaecology & Obstetrics 86(1): 67–69.
- 2005. “Prevalence of wife beating in Jordanian refugee camps: Reports by men and women. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 59(10): 840–841. and
- 2002. On the Margins: Migration and Living Conditions of Palestinian Camp Refugees in Jordan. Fafo Report 357. Oslo : Fafo. and (eds.)
- 1992. “Consanguineous marriage in Jordan. American Journal of Medical Genetics 43(5): 769–775. and .
- 2004. Profiling Domestic Violence: A Multi-Country Study. Calverton , MD : ORC Macro. and
- 2004. “Coerced first intercourse and reproductive health among adolescent women in Rakai, Uganda. International Family Planning Perspectives 30(4): 156–164. , , , , , and
- 1997. “Contraceptive decision making in a sample of Jordanian Muslim women: Delineating salient beliefs. Health Care for Women International 18(1): 85–94. and .
- 1999. “Sexual behaviors and reproductive health outcomes: Associations with wife abuse in India. Journal of the American Medical Association 282(20): 1967–1972. , , , , and
- 1998. “Violence against women in Jordan: demographic characteristics of victims and perpetrators. The Human Forum for Women's Rights. Amman : Jordan Press Foundation. , , and
- 2007. MEASURE DHS STATcompiler. Calverton , MD : ORC Macro.
- 2002. “Jordanian men's attitudes and views of birth-spacing and contraceptive use (a qualitative approach). Health Care for Women International 23(6–7): 516–529. and
- 1994. “The effect of sex preference on contraceptive use and fertility in rural South India. International Family Planning Perspectives 20(3): 88–95. and .
- 2002. “The relationship among demographics, reproductive characteristics, and intimate partner violence. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 187(4): 1,002–1,007. , , , , and
- 2006. “Spousal abuse against women and its consequences on reproductive health: A study in the urban slums in Bangladesh. Maternal and Child Health Journal 10(1): 83–94. , , and
- 2008. “Women's acceptance of intimate partner violence within marriage in rural Bangladesh. Studies in Family Planning 39(1): 49–58. and
- 2000. “Practice of contraceptive devices associated with family structure in rural Bangladesh. South Asian Anthropologist 21(1): 7–14.
- 2006. “Domestic violence and contraceptive adoption in Uttar Pradesh, India. Studies in Family Planning 37(2): 75–86. , , and
- 2003. “Effects of polygyny and consanguinity on high fertility in the rural Arab population in South Jordan. Journal of Biosocial Science 35(4): 513–526. and
- 2000. “Islamic precepts and family planning: The perceptions of Jordanian religious leaders and their constituents. International Family Planning Perspectives 26(3): 110–117.
- 1990. “Fertility and family planning in Jordan: Results from the 1985 Jordan Husbands's Fertility Survey. Studies in Family Planning 21(1): 33–39. , , , , and
- 1997. “The effects of an abusive primary partner on the condom use and sexual negotiation practices of African-American women. American Journal of Public Health 87(6): 1,016–1,018. and