Voluntary, Human Rights–Based Family Planning: A Conceptual Framework
Version of Record online: 10 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Population Council, Inc.
Studies in Family Planning
Volume 45, Issue 1, pages 1–18, March 2014
How to Cite
Hardee, K., Kumar, J., Newman, K., Bakamjian, L., Harris, S., Rodríguez, M. and Brown, W. (2014), Voluntary, Human Rights–Based Family Planning: A Conceptual Framework. Studies in Family Planning, 45: 1–18. doi: 10.1111/j.1728-4465.2014.00373.x
- Issue online: 10 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 10 MAR 2014
- 2012. “Governmental coercion in reproductive decision making: See it both ways,” Guttmacher Policy Review 15(4): 6. .
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and UK Department for International Development (DFID). 2012. “Landmark summit puts women at heart of global health agenda.” Press release. http://www.familyplanning2020.org/images/content/old_site_files/1530FINALpressrelease.pdf. Accessed 25 January 2014.
- 2009. “A response to critics of family planning,” International Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health 35(1): 39–44. and .
- 1990. “Fundamental elements of quality of care: A simple framework,” Studies in Family Planning 21(2): 61–91. .
- 2010. “Political feasibility of scaling-up five evidence-informed HIV interventions in Pakistan: A policy analysis,” Sexually Transmitted Infections 85(Suppl. 2): ii37–ii42. , , , , and .
- 2003. Reproductive Health and Human Rights: Integrating Medicine, Ethics and the Law. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , , and .
- 2012. “Use of human rights to meet the unmet need for family planning,” The Lancet 380(9837): 172–180. , , and .
- 2010. “Using human rights for sexual and reproductive health: Improving legal and regulatory frameworks,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization 88(7): 551–555. , , , , , and .
- Department for International Development (DFID). 2004. “Sexual and reproductive health and rights: A position paper.” London.
- Department for International Development (DFID). 2010. “Choices for women—planned pregnancies, safe births and healthy newborns: The U.K.'s framework for results for improving reproductive, maternal and newborn health in the developing world.” London.
- 1990. Nature Against Us: The United States and the World Population Crisis, 1965-1980. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
- 2004. Global Population Policy: From Population Control to Reproductive Rights. Wilmington, DE: University of Delaware Press. .
- EngenderHealth. 2011. “The SEED™ Assessment Guide for Family Planning Programming.” New York.
- EngenderHealth/RESPOND Project. 2013. “A fine balance: Contraceptive choice in the 21st century.” Report from a USAID-funded RESPOND Project consultation in Bellagio, Italy. New York.
- 2008. “Reproductive rights,” in Kris Heggenhougen (ed.), International Encyclopedia of Public Health. Oxford: Academic Press, pp. 532–538. and .
- 2012. “Will the London Family Planning Initiative measure up?” RH Reality Check. Blog. http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/article/2012/07/20/will-london-family-planning-initiative-measure-up. Accessed 9 December 2012. .
- 2007. “History, principles, and practice of health and human rights,” The Lancet 370(9585): 449–455. , , and .
- 2014. “Achieving the London FP Summit goal through adhering to voluntary, rights-based family planning: What can we learn from past experiences with coercion?” Paper to be presented at the Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America, Boston, 1-3 May. , , , , , , and .
- Linking family planning/reproductive health policies to reproductive health programs and outcomes: The importance of the policy implementation space.” International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics. , , and . Forthcoming. “
- 2007. “Emergence of the Indian national family planning program,” in Warren C. Robinson and John A. Ross (eds.), The Global Family Planning Revolution: Three Decades of Population Policies and Programs. Washington, DC: World Bank, pp. 301–323. and .
- HRBA Portal. n.d. “The human rights based approach to development cooperation: Towards a common understanding among UN agencies.” http://hrbaportal.org/the-human-rights-based-approach-to-development-cooperation-towards-a-common-understanding-among-un-agencies. Accessed 27 March 2013.
- 1993. “Quality of care in family planning: Clients’ rights and providers’ needs,” Advances in Contraception 9(2): 129–139. and .
- International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF). 1996. IPPF Charter on Sexual and Reproductive Rights. London. Reprinted in 2003. http://ippf.org/resource/IPPF-Charter-Sexual-and-Reproductive-Rights. Accessed 4 January 2013.
- 2000. “Transforming family planning programmes: Towards a framework for advancing the reproductive rights agenda,” Reproductive Health Matters 8(15): 21–32.
- 1989. “Fertility reduction and the quality of family planning services,” Studies in Family Planning 20(1): 1–16.
- 2012. “Evaluation of an intervention to improve quality of care in family planning programme in the Philippines,” Journal of Biosocial Science 44(1): 27–41. , , , and .
- 2003. “The myths and realities of China's population program,” Harvard Asia Quarterly 7(1): 21–25. .
- 2012. “Looking for human rights at the Family Planning Summit,” Livewire. Blog. http://livewire.amnesty.org/2012/07/11/looking-for-human-rights-at-family-planning-summit/. Accessed 9 December 2012. .
- 2012. “Highs and lows at the London Family Planning Summit,” ASAP. Blog. http://asap-asia.org/blog/highs-and-lows-at-the-london-family-planning-summit/. Accessed 9 December 2012. .
- 2013. “Voluntary family planning programs that respect, protect, and fulfill human rights: A systematic review of tools.” Washington, DC: Futures Group and EngenderHealth. , , , and .
- London Summit on Family Planning. 2012. “London summit on family planning, 11 July 2012.” http://www.who.int/workforcealliance/media/events/2012/LondonSummitonFamilyPlanningOverview.pdf. Accessed 25 January 2014.
- 1993. “Using self-assessment to improve the quality of family planning clinic services,” Studies in Family Planning 24(4): 252–260. , , and .
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR). 2006. “Frequently asked questions on a human rights-based approach to development cooperation.” New York and Geneva. http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Publications/FAQen.pdf. Accessed 28 January 2014.
- Open Society Foundation. 2011. “Against her will: Forced and coerced sterilization of women worldwide.” Fact sheet.
- 2003. “The quality of family planning programs: Concepts, measurements, interventions, and effects,” Studies in family planning 34(4): 227–248. and .
- 1968. “The A.I.D. population and family planning program—goals, scope, and progress,” Demography 5(2): 561–573.
- 2008. “Elements of success in family planning programming,” Population Reports. Info project. Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Series J, No. 57. and .
- 2003. “A framework linking community empowerment and health equity: It is a matter of CHOICE,” Journal of Health Population and Nutrition 21(3): 168–180.
- 2013. “Voluntary Family Planning Programs that Respect, Protect, and Fulfill Human Rights: A Systematic Review of Evidence.” Washington, DC: Futures Group. , , , and .
- 2012. “Access to contraceptive methods and prevalence of use,” Journal of Biosocial Science. doi:10.1017/S0021932012000715. and .
- 2002. The Origins and Evolution of Family Planning Programs in Developing Countries. Santa Monica, CA: RAND.
- 2010. “Integrating family planning with sexual and reproductive health and rights: The past as prologue?” Studies in Family Planning 41(2): 143–146. .
- 2001. “Women's reproductive health: The public health perspective” in Elaine Murphy and Karin Ringheim (eds.), Reproductive Health, Gender and Human Rights: A Dialogue.” Washington, DC: PATH, pp. 15–22. .
- 2002. “Let's be citizens, not patients!: Women's groups in Peru assert their right to high-quality reproductive health care,” in Nicole Haberland and Diana Measham (eds.), Responding to Cairo: Case Studies of Changing Practice in Reproductive Health And Family Planning. New York: Population Council, pp. 339–354. .
- 2009. Creating a New Consensus on Population: The Politics of Reproductive Health, Reproductive Rights and Women's Empowerment. London: Earthscan.
- United Nations (UN). 1968. “Final Act of the International Conference on Human Rights” (Proclamation of Teheran). 22 April-13 May. New York.
- United Nations Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (UNCESCR). 2000. International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. Article 12, General Comment No. 14. “The Right to the highest attainable standard of health.” http://www.unhchr.ch/tbs/doc.nsf/(symbol)/E.C.12.2000.4.En. Accessed 23 March 2013.
- United Nations (UN) High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). 2005. “UNHCR note on refugee claims based on coercive family planning laws or policies.” Geneva. http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/pdfid/4301a9184.pdf. Accessed 27 March 2013.
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA). 1995. “Report of the International Conference on Population and Development.” New York. http://www.unfpa.org/public/home/publications/pid/1973. Accessed 25 January 2014.
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA). 2008. “Sexual and Reproductive Health Framework: A Reality for All.” New York: UNFPA.
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA). 2010. “A Human Rights-based Approach to Programming: Practical Implementation Manual and Training Materials.” New York: UNFPA and Boston: Harvard School of Public Health. http://www.unfpa.org/webdav/site/global/shared/documents/publications/2010/hrba/hrba_manual_in%20full.pdf. Accessed 29 December 2012.
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA). 2012. “By Choice, Not by Chance. State of World Population 2012.” New York. United States Agency for International Development (USAID). 1982. “USAID Policy Paper on Population Assistance.” Washington, DC.
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA). n.d. “USAID's Family Planning Guiding Principles and U.S. Legislative and Policy Requirements.” http://transition.usaid.gov/our_work/global_health/pop/voluntarism.html. Accessed 12 November 2012.
- United States (US) Congress. 1968. “Foreign Assistance Act of 1967, Title X.” 2 January. Washington, DC.
- 1993. “Empowerment and health: The theory and practice of community change,” Community Development Journal 28(3): 218–227.
- 2008. “Doing health policy analysis: Methodological and conceptual reflections and challenges,” Health Policy and Planning 23(5): 308–317. , , , , , and .
- World Health Organization (WHO). 2014. “Ensuring human rights in the provision of contraceptive information and services: Guidance and recommendations.” Geneva: WHO.
- 1998. “Revisiting community participation,” Health Policy Planning 13(1): 1–12. and .