The authors thank Wendy Schiller, Eddie Miller, Tracy Breton, David Rindskopf, Jay Verkuilen, Juan Battle, and the anonymous reviewers and editors of JELS for their invaluable advice and assistance; Arthi Krishnaswami for the design of the tables and figures in this article; Wendy Imondi and all the staff of the Rhode Island Judicial Records Center; and our research assistants Sarah Hirschfeld-Sussman, Jessica Huey, Bailey Langner, Jessica Maniff, Robert Powers, Jacquelyn Rudis, and Owen Washburn.
Judicial Discretion and (Un)equal Access: A Systematic Study of Motions to Reduce Criminal Sentences in Rhode Island Superior Court (1998–2003)
Article first published online: 17 FEB 2011
Copyright © 2011 Cornell Law School and Wiley Subscription Services, Inc.
Journal of Empirical Legal Studies
Volume 8, Issue 1, pages 24–47, March 2011
How to Cite
Braslow, L. and Cheit, R. E. (2011), Judicial Discretion and (Un)equal Access: A Systematic Study of Motions to Reduce Criminal Sentences in Rhode Island Superior Court (1998–2003). Journal of Empirical Legal Studies, 8: 24–47. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-1461.2010.01201.x
- Issue published online: 17 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 17 FEB 2011
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Type your institution's name in the box below. If your institution is a Wiley customer, it will appear in the list of suggested institutions and you will be able to log in to access content. Some users may also log in directly via OpenAthens.
Please note that there are currently a number of duplicate entries in the list of institutions. We are actively working on fixing this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!