For helpful comments, we thank Tim Bresnahan, Al Engelberg, Joseph Farrell, Sherry Glied, Victor Goldberg, Bert Huang, David Hyman, Amy Kapczynski, Mark Lemley, Ed Morrison, Petra Moser, Matthew Neidell, Mitch Polinsky, Fiona Scott Morton, Howard Shelanski, Heidi Williams, two anonymous referees, and seminar audiences at Berkeley, Columbia, ETH Zurich, NYU, Rutgers, Toronto, Wisconsin, University of Delhi, Yale, the Federal Trade Commission, the Conference on Empirical Legal Studies, and the Pfizer Pharmaceutical Economics and Policy Conference. Annie Liang, Elizabeth Moulton, Tejas Narechania, and Nicholas Tilipman provided outstanding research assistance. We thank officials at the Food and Drug Administration, particularly Elizabeth Dickinson, Nancy Sager, and Joshua Sharfstein, for assistance with FDA approval data, including a FOIA request. IMS Health and the Lerner Center for Pharmaceutical Management Studies at Rutgers University furnished sales data. The Ford Foundation, Institute for Social and Economic Policy Research at Columbia University, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Public Health Law Research program provided financial support.
When Do Generics Challenge Drug Patents?
Article first published online: 27 OCT 2011
© 2011, Copyright the Authors. Journal compilation © 2011, Cornell Law School and Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Empirical Legal Studies
Volume 8, Issue 4, pages 613–649, December 2011
How to Cite
Hemphill, C. S. and Sampat, B. N. (2011), When Do Generics Challenge Drug Patents?. Journal of Empirical Legal Studies, 8: 613–649. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-1461.2011.01235.x
- Issue published online: 27 OCT 2011
- Article first published online: 27 OCT 2011
This article has been cited by:
- 1Patent office backlog adds billions to national drug expenditure, Nature Biotechnology, 2014, 32, 5, 436, ,
- 2Use Patents Can Be Useful: The Case of Rescued Drugs, Science Translational Medicine, 2014, 6, 248, 248fs30, ,
- 3Drug Patents at the Supreme Court, Science, 2013, 339, 6126, 1386, ,
- 4Engineered in India — Patent Law 2.0, New England Journal of Medicine, 2013, 369, 6, 497,
- 5Challenges to India's Pharmaceutical Patent Laws, Science, 2012, 337, 6093, 414, , ,
- 6Evergreening, patent challenges, and effective market life in pharmaceuticals, Journal of Health Economics, 2012, 31, 2, 327, ,