For helpful comments, we thank Tim Bresnahan, Al Engelberg, Joseph Farrell, Sherry Glied, Victor Goldberg, Bert Huang, David Hyman, Amy Kapczynski, Mark Lemley, Ed Morrison, Petra Moser, Matthew Neidell, Mitch Polinsky, Fiona Scott Morton, Howard Shelanski, Heidi Williams, two anonymous referees, and seminar audiences at Berkeley, Columbia, ETH Zurich, NYU, Rutgers, Toronto, Wisconsin, University of Delhi, Yale, the Federal Trade Commission, the Conference on Empirical Legal Studies, and the Pfizer Pharmaceutical Economics and Policy Conference. Annie Liang, Elizabeth Moulton, Tejas Narechania, and Nicholas Tilipman provided outstanding research assistance. We thank officials at the Food and Drug Administration, particularly Elizabeth Dickinson, Nancy Sager, and Joshua Sharfstein, for assistance with FDA approval data, including a FOIA request. IMS Health and the Lerner Center for Pharmaceutical Management Studies at Rutgers University furnished sales data. The Ford Foundation, Institute for Social and Economic Policy Research at Columbia University, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Public Health Law Research program provided financial support.
When Do Generics Challenge Drug Patents?
Article first published online: 27 OCT 2011
© 2011, Copyright the Authors. Journal compilation © 2011, Cornell Law School and Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Empirical Legal Studies
Volume 8, Issue 4, pages 613–649, December 2011
How to Cite
Hemphill, C. S. and Sampat, B. N. (2011), When Do Generics Challenge Drug Patents?. Journal of Empirical Legal Studies, 8: 613–649. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-1461.2011.01235.x
- Issue published online: 27 OCT 2011
- Article first published online: 27 OCT 2011
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!