College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida Journal Series No. 185
ZINC TOXICOSIS IN A DOG SECONDARY TO INGESTION OF PENNIES
Article first published online: 19 MAY 2005
Volume 31, Issue 3, pages 155–157, May 1990
How to Cite
Ackerman, N., Spencer, C. P., Sundlof, S. F. and Partridge, H. L. (1990), ZINC TOXICOSIS IN A DOG SECONDARY TO INGESTION OF PENNIES. Veterinary Radiology, 31: 155–157. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-8261.1990.tb01855.x
- Issue published online: 19 MAY 2005
- Article first published online: 19 MAY 2005
- Received February 13, 1989; accepted for publication March 14, 1989.
Zinc poisoning was identified in a 4-year-old dog secondary to ingestion and gastric retention of two pennies. The pennies were identified radiographically and were observed to dissolve almost completely over a 2-day period. The dog died 2 days after laparotomy and gastrotomy. Renal tubular necrosis and hepatic degeneration were identified histologically. Radiologists should be aware of the potential for intoxication from pennies and zinc nuts when these foreign objects are retained in the stomach.