RADIOGRAPHIC FINDINGS OF CANINE DYSAUTONOMIA IN TWENTY-FOUR DOGS
Article first published online: 19 MAY 2005
Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound
Volume 42, Issue 2, pages 108–112, March 2001
How to Cite
Detweiler, D. A., Biller, D. S., Hoskinson, J. J. and Harkin, K. R. (2001), RADIOGRAPHIC FINDINGS OF CANINE DYSAUTONOMIA IN TWENTY-FOUR DOGS. Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound, 42: 108–112. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-8261.2001.tb00912.x
- Issue published online: 19 MAY 2005
- Article first published online: 19 MAY 2005
- Received June 5, 2000; accepted for publication August 28, 2000.
Canine dysautonomia is an idiopathic condition resulting in loss of autonomic nervous system function. Recently, the prevalence of dogs diagnosed with dysautonomia in the mid-western United States has increased. In this study the medical records and radiographic findings in 24 dogs with dysautonomia were reviewed. A diagnosis of dysautonomia was made in 17 (71%) of the dogs in this study by postmortem examination, the remaining 7 (29%) dogs were diagnosed pharmacologically. The radio-graphic findings supportive of dysautonomia include aspiration pneumonia, megaesophagus, or a distended stomach, small bowel, or urinary bladder. In some instances, the disease radiographically mimicked other disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, including mechanical obstruction.