Prepared for the Inter-Agency Standing Committee Global Nutrition Cluster by Camila M. Chaparro (FANTA-2 Project/AED) and Kathryn G. Dewey (University of California, Davis), July 2009.
Use of lipid-based nutrient supplements (LNS) to improve the nutrient adequacy of general food distribution rations for vulnerable sub-groups in emergency settings
Article first published online: 23 DEC 2009
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Maternal & Child Nutrition
Special Issue: Use of Lipid-based Nutrient Supplements (LNS) in Emergency Settings: Improving the Nutrient Adequacy of General Food Distribution Rations for Vulnerable Sub-groups
Volume 6, Issue Supplement s1, pages 1–69, January 2010
How to Cite
Chaparro, C. M. and Dewey, K. G. (2010), Use of lipid-based nutrient supplements (LNS) to improve the nutrient adequacy of general food distribution rations for vulnerable sub-groups in emergency settings. Maternal & Child Nutrition, 6: 1–69. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-8709.2009.00224.x
This work was funded by a grant from the IASC Global Nutrition Cluster and support from the Food and Nutrition Technical Assistance II Project (FANTA-2).
The contribution from FANTA-2 was made possible by the generous support of the American people through the support of the Office of Health, Infectious Disease, and Nutrition, Bureau for Global Health, United States Agency for International Development (USAID), under terms of Cooperative Agreement No. GHN-A-00-08-00001-00, through the Food and Nutrition Technical Assistance II Project (FANTA-2), managed by the Academy for Educational Development (AED). The contents are the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.
- Issue published online: 23 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 23 DEC 2009
- 2007) Randomized comparison of 3 types of micronutrient supplements for home fortification of complementary foods in Ghana: effects on growth and motor development. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 86, 412–420. , , , , & (
- 2008) Home fortification of complementary foods with micronutrient supplements is well-accepted and has positive effects on infant iron status in Ghana. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 87, 929–938. , , , , & (
- 2006) Guidelines on Food Fortification with Micronutrients. WHO/FAO: Geneva. , , & (eds) (
- 2002) Estimating the potential for vitamin A toxicity in women and young children. Journal of Nutrition 132, 2907S–2919S. & (
- 2003) Visual, cognitive and language assessments at 39 months: a follow-up study of children fed formulas containing long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids to 1 year of age. Pediatrics 112, e177–e183. , , , , , et al. (
- 2006) Relationship between umbilical cord essential fatty acid content and the quality of general movements of healthy term infants at 3 months. Pediatric Research 59, 717–722. , , , , , et al. (
- CRDNF/NIHRD/SEAMO/UNICEF (2006) Second Health and Nutrition Assessment in Nanggore Aceh Darussalam Province and Nias, September 2005. UNICEF: Jakarta, Indonesia.
- 2009) A large-scale distribution of Milk-based fortified spreads: evidence for a new approach in regions with a high burden of acute malnutrition. PLoS ONE 4 (5), e5455. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0005455 , , , , , et al. (
- 2003) Nutrient composition of fortified complementary foods: should age-specific micronutrient content and ration sizes be recommended? Journal of Nutrition 133, 2950S–2952S. (
- 2007) Increasing iron intake of children through complementary foods. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 28, S595–S609. (
- 2008) Systematic review of the efficacy and effectiveness of complementary feeding interventions in developing countries. Maternal & Child Nutrition 4, 24–85. & (
- 2003) Update on technical issues concerning complementary feeding of young children in developing countries and implications for intervention programs. Food and Nutrition Bulletin of the 24, 5–28. & (
- 1996) Protein requirements of infants and children. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 50, S119–47. , , , & (
- 2002) Iron supplementation affects growth and morbidity of breast-fed infants: results of a randomized trial in Sweden and Honduras. Journal of Nutrition 132, 3249–3255. , , , , & (
- 2007) Effects of n-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation on visual and cognitive development throughout childhood: a review of human studies. Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes, and Essential Fatty Acids 76, 189–203. , , , & (
- Formulation Subgroup, Ten Year Strategy to Reduce Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies, Maternal. Infant and Young Child Nutrition Working Group (2009) Formulations for fortified complementary foods and supplements: Review of successful products for improving the nutritional statics of infants and young children. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 30 (2) supplemen, S239–S255.
- 1994) Determinants of compliance with iron supplementation: supplies, side effects, or psychology? Social Science & Medicine 39, 381–390. & (
- 2009) Proposed recommended nutrient densities for moderately malnourished children. WHO, UNICEF, WFP and UNHCR Consultation on the Dietary Management of Moderate Malnutrition in Under_5 Children. Geneva. Available at: http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/moderate_malnutrition/MM_Background_paper1.pdf (accessed 12 December 2009). (
- 2007) Prenatal and early postnatal fatty acid status and neurodevelopmental outcome. Journal of Perinatal Medicine 35, 549–571. , , , & (
- 2000) Prediction of dietary iron absorption: an algorithm for calculating absorption and bioavailability of dietary iron. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 71, 1147–1160. & (
- 2005) The role of essential fatty acids in development. Annual Review of Nutrition 25, 549–571. & (
- 2006) Supplementation of n-3 fatty acids during pregnancy and lactation reduces maternal plasma lipid levels and provides DHA to the infants. Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine 19, 397–406. , , , , & (
- Home Fortification Technical Advisory Group (HFTAG) (2009) Summary Report of a Workshop on Multiple Micronutrient Powders. Workshop on scaling up the use of multiple micronutrient powders to improve the quality of complementary foods for young children in Asia; Bangkok, Thailand.
- 2007) Effect of supplementation of women in high-risk pregnancies with long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids on pregnancy outcomes and growth measures at birth: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. British Journal of Nutrition 98, 253–259. , & (
- 2007) Dietary indicators for assessing the adequacy of population zinc intakes. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 28, S430–S453. (
- 2004) IZiNCG technical document #1 Assessment of the risk of zinc deficiency in populations and options for its control. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 25, 1, Suppl. 2: S99–S203. & (
- 2009) Prenatal food supplementation fortified with multiple micronutrients increases birth length: a randomized controlled trial in rural Burkina Faso. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 90, 1593–1600. , , , , , et al. (
- IOM (Institute of Medicine of The National Academies) (2009) Dietary Reference Intakes. Available at: http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=4&tax_level=3&tax_subject=256&topic_id=1342&level3_id=5141 (accessed 2 December 2009).
- 2006) Growth and change in blood haemoglobin concentration among underweight Malawian infants receiving fortified spreads for 12 weeks: a preliminary trial. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition 43, 525–532. , , , & (
- 2002) Perinatal supply and metabolism of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids: importance for the early development of the nervous system. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 967, 299–310. , & (
- 1981) Protein quality and digestibility of sorghum in preschool children. Journal of Nutrition 111, 1928–1936. (
- 2006) Local production and provision of ready-to-use therapeutic food (RUTF) spread for the treatment of severe childhood malnutrition. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 27, S83–S89. (
- 2008) Measuring the effectiveness of Supplementary Feeding Programmes in emergencies. Humanitarian Practice Network Paper, No. 63, Overseas Development Institute, London. Available at: http://www.odi.org.uk/resources/download/2496.pdf (accessed 2 December 2009). , & (
- 2005) Home-based therapy with ready-to-use therapeutic food is of benefit to malnourished, HIV-infected Malawian children. Acta Paediatrica 94, 222–225. , , & (
- 2007) Home fortification in emergency response and transition programming: experiences in Aceh and Nias, Indonesia. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 28, 189–197. , , , , & (
- 2008) Complementary feeding with fortified spread and incidence of severe stunting in 6- to 18-month-old rural Malawians. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine 162, 629–626. , , , , , et al. (
- 2009) Postintervention growth of Malawian children who received 12-mo dietary complementation with a lipid-based nutrient supplement or maize-soy flour. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 89, 382–390. , , , , , et al. (
- 2006) SCN Nutrition Policy Paper No. 21: WHO, UNICEF, and SCN informal consultation on community-based management of severe malnutrition in children. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 27, Suppl. 3, S99–S104. , , , & (
- 2008) Storage, preparation and usage of fortified food aid among Guatemalan, Ugandan and Malawian beneficiaries: a field study report. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 29, 213–220. , , , & (
- 2008) Age-based preventive targeting of food-assistance and behaviour change and communication of reduction of childhood undernutrition in Haiti: a cluster randomised trial. The Lancet 371, 588–595. , , , , , et al. (
- 2006) Effects of routine prophylactic supplementation with iron and folic acid on admission to hospital and mortality in preschool children in a high malaria transmission setting: community-based, randomised, placebo-controlled trial. The Lancet 367, 133–143. , , , , , et al. (
- 2007) Assessing Micronutrient Deficiencies in Emergencies. UNS/Standing Committee on Nutrition: Geneva. & (
- 1998) Guidelines for the Use of Iron Supplements to Prevent and Treat Iron Deficiency Anemia. International Life Sciences Institute Press: Washington, DC. & (
- SUSTAIN (1999) Final Report of the Micronutrient Assessment Project. SUSTAIN: Washington, DC.
- 2006) Effect of n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation of women with low-risk pregnancies on pregnancy outcomes and growth measures at birth: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 83, 1337–1344. , & (
- UNHCR/UNICEF/WFP/WHO (2004) Food and Nutrition Needs in Emergencies. WHO: Geneva.
- United States Government Accountability Office (2007) Report to the Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry U.S. Senate: Foreign Assistance Various Challenges Impede the Efficiency and Effectiveness of U.S. Food Aid. Government Accountability Office: Washington, DC.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (2008) Composition of Foods Raw, Processed, Prepared. USDA National Database for Standard Reference, Release 21. Available at: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ (accessed 12 February 2009).
- USAID. (2006) Commodity Reference Guide. Available at: http://www.usaid.gov/our_work/humanitarian_assistance/ffp/crg (Accessed March 30, 2009.
- WFP (2006) Nutrition in emergencies: WFP experiences and challenges. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 27, 57–66.
- WFP/Nutrition Works (2000) Food and Nutrition Handbook. WFP: Rome.
- WHO (2000) The Management of Nutrition in Major Emergencies. WHO: Geneva.
- WHO (2007) Protein and Amino Acid Requirements in Human Nutrition Report of a Joint WHO/FAO/UNU Expert Consultation. WHO: Geneva.
- WHO Multicentre Growth Reference Study Group (2006) WHO Child Growth Standards: Length/Height-for-age, Weight-for-age, Weight-for-length, Weight-for-height and Body Mass Index-for-age. Available at: http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/
- WHO/FAO (2004) Vitamin and Mineral Requirements in Human Nutrition. WHO: Geneva.
- WHO/UNICEF (2007) Iron Supplementation of Young Children in Regions where Malaria Transmission is Intense and Infectious Disease Highly Prevalent. WHO/UNICEF: Geneva.
- WHO/WFP/UNICEF (2007) Preventing and Controlling Micronutrient Deficiencies in Populations Affected by an Emergency. WHO: Geneva.
- WHO/WFP/UNSCN/UNICEF (2007) Community-Based Management of Severe Acute Malnutrition. WHO/WFP/UNSCN/UNICEF: Geneva.
- World Health Organization (1998) Complementary Feeding of Young Children in Developing Countries: A Review of Current Scientific Knowledge. WHO: Geneva.