Determinants of infant feeding choices by Zambian mothers: a mixed quantitative and qualitative study
Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Maternal & Child Nutrition
Volume 7, Issue 2, pages 148–159, April 2011
How to Cite
Chisenga, M., Siame, J., Baisley, K., Kasonka, L. and Filteau, S. (2011), Determinants of infant feeding choices by Zambian mothers: a mixed quantitative and qualitative study. Maternal & Child Nutrition, 7: 148–159. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-8709.2010.00264.x
- Issue online: 17 MAR 2011
- Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2010
- Breastfeeding and HIV International Transmission Study Group ( 2004 ) Late postnatal transmission of HIV-1 in breast-fed children: an individual patient data meta-analysis . Journal of Infectious Diseases 189 , 2154 – 2166 .
- Central Statistical Office, Ministry of Health, Tropical Diseases Research Centre, University of Zambia & Macro International Inc ( 2009 ) Zambia Demographic and Health Survey 2007 . CSO and Macro International Inc : Calveton, Maryland, USA .
- Chilenje Infant Growth Nutrition and Infection (CIGNIS) Study Team ( 2010 ) Microutrient fortification to improve growth and health of maternally HIV-unexposed and exposed Zambian infants: a randomised controlled trial . PLoS One Available at: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0011165 .
- 2005 ) Preventing HIV transmission to children: quality of counselling of mothers in South Africa . Acta Paediatrica 94 , 357 – 363 . , , & (
- 2009 ) Rapid assessment of infant feeding support to HIV-positive women accessing prevention of mother-to-child transmission services in Kenya, Malawi and Zambia . Public Health Nutrition 12 , 2323 – 2328 . , , & (
- 2007 ) Effectiveness of the WHO/UNICEF guidelines on infant feeding for HIV-positive women: results from a prospective cohort study in South Africa . AIDS 21 , 1791 – 1797 . , , , , & (
- 2006a ) Effect of the HIV epidemic on infant feeding in South Africa: “when they see me coming with the tins they laugh at me” . Bulletin of the World Health Organization 84 , 90 – 96 . , , , & (
- 2006b ) A longitudinal qualitative study of infant-feeding decision making and practices among HIV-positive women in South Africa . Journal of Nutrition 136 , 2421 – 2426 . , , , & (
- 2001 ) Estimating wealth effects without expenditure data – or tears: an application to educational enrolments in states of India . Demography 38 , 115 – 132 . & (
- 2004 ) Qualitative Methods for Health Research . Sage : London . & (
- 2008 ) Effects of early, abrupt weaning on HIV-free survival of children in Zambia . The New England Journal of Medicine 359 , 130 – 141 . , , , , , et al . (
- 2002 ) Experience with Providing Free Formula in Uganda . In HIV and Infant Feeding: A Compilation of Programmatic Evidence ( eds P. Koniz-Booher , B. Burkhalter , A. de Wagt , P. Iliff & J. Willumsen ), UNICEF/USAID : Bethesda, USA . , , , & (
- 2007 ) Fortified complementary foods, with or without α-amylase-treatment, increase hemoglobin but do not reduce breast milk intake of 9-month old Zambian infants . the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 86 , 1094 – 1103 . , , , , , et al . (
- 2009 ) Experiences of HIV-positive mothers who chose not to breastfeed their babies in Nigeria . African Journal of Reproductive Health 13 , 27 – 35 . & (
- 2003 ) Prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV in Africa: successes and challenges in scaling-up a nevirapine-based program in Lusaka, Zambia . AIDS 17 , 1377 – 1382 . , , , , , et al . (
- 2005 ) Sociocultural influences on infant feeding decisions among HIV-infected women in rural Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa . Maternal & Child Nutrition 1 , 2 – 10 . , , , & (
- 1985 ) Isolation of AIDS virus from cell-free breast milk of three healthy virus carriers . Lancet 2 , 891 – 892 . , , , , , et al . (
- UNAIDS/UNICEF/WHO ( 1998 ) HIV and Infant Feeding: Guidelines for Decision-makers . Geneva, Switzerland .
- World Health Organization ( 1992 ) Consensus statement from the WHO/UNICEF consultation on HIV transmission and breastfeeding . Weekly Epidemiological Record 67 , 177 – 184 .
- World Health Organization ( 2007a ) HIV and Infant Feeding: New evidence and Programmatic Experience . Report of a technical consultation held in Geneva, Switzerland, 25–27 October, 2006. Geneva, Switzerland .
- World Health Organization ( 2007b ) HIV and Infant Feeding: Update .
- World Health Organization ( 2009 ) New WHO Recommendations on Infant Feeding in the Context of HIV .
- Zambian National Food and Nutrition Commission ( 2007 ) Advice and information on nutrition issues in Zambia .
- 1985 ) Postnatal transmission of AIDS-associated retrovirus from mother to infant . Lancet 1 , 896 – 898 . , , & (