Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms.
Identifying priorities to improve maternal and child nutrition among the Khmu ethnic group, Laos: a formative study
Article first published online: 19 APR 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Maternal & Child Nutrition
Volume 9, Issue 4, pages 452–466, October 2013
How to Cite
de Sa, J., Bouttasing, N., Sampson, L., Perks, C., Osrin, D. and Prost, A. (2013), Identifying priorities to improve maternal and child nutrition among the Khmu ethnic group, Laos: a formative study. Maternal & Child Nutrition, 9: 452–466. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-8709.2012.00406.x
- Issue published online: 8 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 19 APR 2012
- 2011) Maternal, neonatal, and child health in southeast Asia: towards greater regional collaboration. Lancet 377, 516–525. , , , , , et al. (
- 2011) Care International in Lao PDR: Study on Barriers to Accessing Maternal, Child and Reproductive Health Services for Remote Ethnic Groups and Vulnerable Urban Women. Vientiane. (
- 1994) Maternal micronutrient malnutrition: effects on breastmilk and infant nutrition, and priorities for intervention. SCN News , 21–24. (
- 2008) Misperceptions and misuse of Bear Brand coffee creamer as infant food: national cross sectional survey of consumers and paediatricians in Laos. BMJ (Clinical Research ed.) 337, a1379. , , , & (
- 2009) Postpartum traditions and nutrition practices among urban Lao women and their infants in Vientiane, Lao PDR. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 63, 323–331. , , , , , et al. (
- 2010) Hygiene, sanitation, and water: forgotten foundations of health. PLoS Medicine 7, e1000367. & (
- 2008) What works? Interventions for maternal and child undernutrition and survival. Lancet 371, 417–440. , , , , , et al. (
- 2008) Maternal and child undernutrition: global and regional exposures and health consequences. Lancet 371, 243–260. , , , , , et al. (
- 1989) Eating down during pregnancy: nutrition, obstetric and cultural considerations in the third world. Paper prepared for the 1988 and 1989 meetings of the UN Advisory Group on Nutrition of the ACC Sub-Committee on Nutrition. Geneva: ACC/SCN. & (
- 2006) Birth spacing and risk of adverse perinatal outcomes: a meta-analysis. JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association 295, 1809–1823. , & (
- Department of Statistics & UNICEF (2008) National Maternal and Child Nutrition Survey Final Report 2006. Vientiane.
- 2008) Systematic review of the efficacy and effectiveness of complementary feeding interventions in developing countries. Maternal & Child Nutrition 4 (Suppl. 1), 24–85. & (
- 2010) Infant and young child feeding indicators across nine East and Southeast Asian countries: an analysis of National Survey Data 2000–2005. Public Health Nutrition 13, 1296–1303. , & (
- 2004) Consulting with Caregivers: Using Formative Research to Improve Maternal and Newborn Care and Infant and Young Child Feeding in the Lao People's Democratic Republic. HNP World Bank: Washington, DC. , , , & (
- 2009) Qualitative Methods for Health Research. SAGE: London. & (
- 1999) Community Portrait: Khmu[Online]. San Francisco: Wildflowers Institute. Available at: http://www.wildflowers.org/community/LaoKhmu/khmu_portrait.shtml (Accessed 31 May 2011). (
- 2011) Booklet on Key Essential Nutrition Actions. Core Group: Washington D.C. & (
- 2004) Family and community practices that promote child survival, growth and development: a review of the evidence. World Health Organization. , & (
- 2007) Influences on maternal and child nutrition in the highlands of the northern Lao PDR. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition 16, 537–545. , , , , , et al. (
- 2009) Scaling up Nutrition: What Will It Cost? World Bank: Washington. , , , & (
- 2011a) Effect of breastfeeding promotion interventions on breastfeeding rates, with special focus on developing countries. BMC Public Health [Electronic Resource] 11 (Suppl. 3), S24. , & (
- 2011b) Impact of maternal education about complementary feeding and provision of complementary foods on child growth in developing countries. BMC Public Health [Electronic Resource] 11 (Suppl. 3), S25. , & (
- 2006) Social Exclusion and Gender Discrimination of Khmu People in the Lao PDR. Eighth Annual Southeast Asian Studies Graduate Students' Symposium. Cornell University: Ithaca, NY. (
- 2010) Antenatal counseling in maternal and newborn care: use of job aids to improve health worker performance and maternal understanding in Benin. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 10, 75. , , & (
- 2011) Socioeconomic determinants of nutritional status of children in Lao PDR: effects of household and community factors. J Health Popul Nutr 29, 339–348. (
- 2003) Energy and protein intake in pregnancy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (4), CD000032. & (
- 2010) How well are infant and young child World Health Organization (WHO) feeding indicators associated with growth outcomes? An example from Cambodia. Maternal & Child Nutrition 6, 358–373. , , , & (
- Montpellier Panel (2009) Scaling Up Nutrition: A Framework for Action.
- National Statistics Centre (2005) National Census – Lao People's Democratic Republic. Vientiane.
- 2006) District health programmes and health-sector reform: case study in the Lao People's Democratic Republic. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 84, 132–138. , & (
- 2007) Risk factors for protein-energy malnutrition in children under 5 years: study from Luangprabang province, Laos. Pediatrics International: Official Journal of the Japan Pediatric Society 49, 260–265. , , , , & (
- Primary Health Care Project (2009) Sayaboury Province Cluster Sample Health Survey. Vientiane: Save the Children Australia.
- 2009) Factors influencing breastfeeding in children less than 2 years of age in Lao PDR. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 45, 487–492. , , , & (
- 2010) Effectiveness of an educational intervention on complementary feeding practices and growth in rural China: a cluster randomised controlled trial. Public Health Nutrition 13, 556–565. , , , & (
- 2009) Doing Qualitative Research. Sage Publications: London. (
- 2011) Northeast Thai Women's Experiences in Following Traditional Postpartum Practices. PhD, University of California San Francisco. (
- UNICEF (2010) Lao People's Democratic Republic: Statistics[Online]. Available at: http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/laopdr_statistics.html (Accessed 18 March 2012).
- UNICEF & WFP (2010) Asia-Pacific Regional Workshop on the Reduction of Stunting through Improvement of Complementary Feeding and Maternal Nutrition. Bangkok.
- WCS Translinks (2010) Wildlife Management and Household Food Consumption in Lao PDR. Wildlife Conservation Society: Vientiane.
- 2004) Heat, balance, humors, and ghosts: postpartum in Cambodia. Health Care for Women International 25, 179–194. (
- World Food Programme (2006) Lao PDR: Comprehensive Food Security and Vulnerability Analysis. Vientiane.
- World Health Organization (2008) Strengthening Action to Improve Feeding of Infants and Young Children 6–23 Months of Age in Nutrition and Child Health Programmes: Report of Proceedings 6–9 October 2008. Geneva.