Current address: Food Policy and Applied Nutrition Department, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Tufts University, Boston, MA, 02111.
Quality of care for severe acute malnutrition delivered by community health workers in southern Bangladesh
Article first published online: 19 APR 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Maternal & Child Nutrition
Volume 9, Issue 1, pages 130–142, January 2013
How to Cite
Puett, C., Coates, J., Alderman, H. and Sadler, K. (2013), Quality of care for severe acute malnutrition delivered by community health workers in southern Bangladesh. Maternal & Child Nutrition, 9: 130–142. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-8709.2012.00409.x
- Issue published online: 11 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 19 APR 2012
- 2009) The use of home-based therapy with ready-to-use therapeutic food to treat malnutrition in a rural area during a food crisis. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 109, 464–467. , & (
- the SEARCH Team (1994) Management of childhood pneumonia by traditional birth attendants. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 72, 897–905. , , &
- 2005) Is home-based diagnosis and treatment of neonatal sepsis feasible and effective? Seven years of intervention in the Gadchiroli field trial (1996 to 2003). Journal of Perinatology 25, S62–S71. , , , , & (
- 2009) Effectiveness of home-based management of newborn infections by community health workers in rural Bangladesh. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 28, 304–310. , , , , , et al. (
- 2001) Community Health Worker Incentives and Disincentives: How They Affect Motivation, Retention and Sustainability. BASICS II: Arlington, TX. , , & (
- 2008) Maternal and child undernutrition: global and regional exposures and health consequences. Lancet 371, 243–260. , , , , , et al. (
- 1990) Fundamental elements of the quality of care: a simple framework. Studies in Family Planning 21, 61–91. (
- 1995) Hawthorne effect: implications for prehospital research. Annals of Emergency Medicine 26, 590–594. , & (
- 2004) Community-based therapeutic care: a new paradigm for selective feeding in nutritional crises. HPN Network Paper. London: ODI. (
- 2006a) Management of severe acute malnutrition in children. Lancet 368, 1992–2000. , , , , & (
- 2006b) Key issues in the success of community-based management of severe malnutrition. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 27 (Suppl. 3): S49–S82. , , , , , et al. (
- CORE Group (2009) Community-based Integrated Management of Childhood Illness Policy Guidance. USAID: Washington, DC.
- 2009) Validation of community health workers' assessment of neonatal illness in rural Bangladesh. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 87, 12–19. , , , , , et al. (
- 2009) Community case management improves use of treatment for childhood diarrhea, malaria and pneumonia in a remote district of Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Health Development 23, 120–126. , , , , & (
- ENN (2011) Synthesis of lessons learnt from country case studies. In: CMAM Conference, November 14–17. Emergency Nutrition Network. Addis Ababa.
- 2009) Community case management of childhood illness in Nicaragua: transforming health systems in underserved rural areas. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved 20, 99–115. , , & (
- 1994) Community satisfaction with primary health care services: an evaluation undertaken in the Morogoro region of Tanzania. Social Science and Medicine 39, 767–780. , & (
- 2010) Determinants of coverage in community-based therapeutic care programmes: towards a joint quantitative and qualitative analysis. Disasters 34, 571–585. , & (
- IPHN, DGHS, MoHFW & GoB (2008) National Guidelines for the Management of Severely Malnourished Children in Bangladesh. Government of Bangladesh: Dhaka.
- 2008) Focus Groups: A Practical Guide for Applied Research. SAGE: Thousand Oaks, CA. & (
- 2011) Antibiotics in severely malnourished children: systematic review of efficacy, safety and pharmacokinetics. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 89, 594–607. & (
- 2007) A large-scale operational study of home-based therapy with ready-to-use therapeutic food in childhood malnutrition in Malawi. Maternal and Child Nutrition 3, 206–215. , , , , & (
- 2008) Community case management of pneumonia: at a tipping point? Bulletin of the World Health Organization 86, 321–416. , , , & (
- 2009) Tools to Introduce Community Case Management of Serious Childhood Infection. Save the Children USA: Westport. , , , , , et al. (
- 2002) Lessons on nutrition of displaced people. Journal of Nutrition 132, 2096S–2103S. (
- 2006) Community health and nutrition programs. In: Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries (eds D.T. Jamison, J.G. Breman, A.R. Measham, G. Alleyne, M. Claeson, D.B. Evans, P. Jha, A. Mills & P. Musgrove), 2nd edn, pp 1053–1074. World Bank: Washington, DC. , , , (
- Microsoft (2010) Microsoft Word. Version 14 ed. Microsoft: Redmond, WA.
- 1994) Qualitative Data Analysis: An Expanded Sourcebook, 2nd edn, SAGE Publications, Inc: Newbury Park. & (
- NIPORT, Mitra and Associates & Macro International (2009) Bangladesh Demographic and Health Survey 2007. Dhaka, Bangladesh and Calverton, Maryland: National Institute of Population Research and Training, Mitra and Associates, and Macro International.
- 1991) Reduction in total under-five mortality in western Nepal through community-based antimicrobial treatment of pneumonia. Lancet 338, 993–997. , , , & (
- R Development Core Team (2010) R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. Version 2.12.0 ed. R Foundation for Statistical Computing: Vienna.
- 2008) Community participation: lessons for maternal, newborn, and child health. Alma-Ata: Rebirth and Revision 5. Lancet 372, 962–971. , , , , , et al. (
- 2002) Health worker perceptions of how being observed influences their practices during consultations with ill children. Tropical Doctor 32, 166–167. , , & (
- 2006) The influence of observation and setting on community health workers' practices. International Journal for Quality in Health Care 18, 299–305. , , , , , et al. (
- 2011) Community case management of severe acute malnutrition in southern Bangladesh: an operational effectiveness study. Medford: Feinstein International Center, Tufts University. , , & (
- StataCorp (2009) Stata Statistical Software: Release 11. StataCorp LP: College Station, TX.
- 1977) Patients' evaluation of family planning services: the case of inner-city clinics. Studies in Family Planning 8, 130–137. (
- 2010) An evaluation of the routine use of amoxicillin as part of the home-based treatment of severe acute malnutrition. Tropical Medicine and International Health 15, 1022–1028. , , & (
- Valid International (2006) Community-based Therapeutic Care (CTC): A Field Manual. Valid International: Oxford.
- 1995) Quality of care and patient satisfaction: a review of measuring instruments. Medical Care Research and Review 52, 109–133. , , , & (
- WHO (1987) The Community Health Worker. WHO: Geneva.
- WHO (1999) Management of Severe Malnutrition: A Manual for Physicians and Other Senior Health Workers. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- WHO, WFP, UNSCN & UNICEF (2007) Community-based management of severe acute malnutrition: a joint statement by the World Health Organization, the World Food Programme, the United Nations System Standing Committee on Nutrition and the United Nations Children's Fund. New York: United Nations Children's Fund.