Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms.
Goals, dilemmas and assumptions in infant feeding education and support. Applying theory of constraints thinking tools to develop new priorities for action
Article first published online: 19 JUN 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Maternal & Child Nutrition
Volume 10, Issue 1, pages 72–91, January 2014
How to Cite
Trickey, H. and Newburn, M. (2014), Goals, dilemmas and assumptions in infant feeding education and support. Applying theory of constraints thinking tools to develop new priorities for action. Maternal & Child Nutrition, 10: 72–91. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-8709.2012.00417.x
- Issue published online: 17 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 19 JUN 2012
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2011) 2010 Australian National Infant Feeding Survey: Indicator Results. AIHW: Canberra.
- 2010) Left to Your Own Devices: The Postnatal Care Experiences of 1260 First-Time Mothers. NCT: London. Available at: http://www.nct.org.uk/professional/research/pregnancy-birth-and-postnatal-care/postnatal-care (Accessed 30 April 2012). & (
- 2002) Effect of maternal confidence on breastfeeding duration: an application of breastfeeding self-efficacy theory. Birth 29, 278–284. , , , , & (
- 2007) Infant Feeding Survey 2005. The Information Centre for Health and Social Care: London. Available at: http://www.ic.nhs.uk/statistics-and-data-collections/health-and-lifestyles-related-surveys/infant-feeding-survey (Accessed 30 April 2012). , , & (
- Breastfeeding Manifesto Coalition (2007) Breastfeeding manifesto. Breastfeeding Manifesto Coalition: London. Available at: http://www.breastfeedingmanifesto.org.uk/ (Accessed 30 April 2012).
- 2011) An exploration of the attitudes and experiences of mothers in the United Kingdom who chose to breastfeed exclusively for 6 months postpartum. Breastfeeding Medicine 6, 197–204. & (
- 2009) Young mothers who choose to breast feed: the importance of being part of a supportive breast-feeding community. Midwifery 27, 53–59. , & (
- 2011) Healthcare professionals’ and mothers’ perceptions of factors that influence decisions to breastfeed or formula feed infants: a comparative study. Journal of Advanced Nursing 67, 1993–2003. , & (
- Department of Health (1998) Independent Enquiry into Inequalities in Health: The Acheson Report. Stationary Office: London.
- Department of Health (2002) Improvement, Expansion and Reform: The Next 3 Years. Priorities and Planning Framework 2003–2006. Department of Health: London.
- Department of Health (2008) Health Inequalities. Progress and Next Steps. Department of Health: London.
- Department of Health (2011) Statistical Release: Breastfeeding Initiation and Prevalence at 6 to 8 Weeks. Available at: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsStatistics/DH_128836 (Accessed 30 April 2012).
- 1997) Goldratt's Theory of Constraints: A Systems Approach to Continuous Improvement. ASQ Quality Press: Milwaukee, Wisconsin. (
- 2010) Caring and sharing – evidence on ways to improve breastfeeding support. Essentially MIDIRS 1, 32–36. & (
- 2005) A critical ethnographic study of encounters between midwives and breast-feeding women in postnatal wards in England. Midwifery 21, 241–252. (
- 2006) Promotion of Breastfeeding Initiation and Duration: Evidence into Practice Briefing. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence: London. , , , , & (
- 2011) Working together. Midwives 4, 29–31. , , , & (
- Equality Act (2010) Equality Act 2010. Available at: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contents (Accessed 30 April 2012).
- 2001) The timing and predictors of the early termination of breastfeeding. Pediatrics 107, 543–548. , & (
- EUPHIX (2009) European Union Public Health Information System: Breastfeeding. Percentage of infants breastfed at 6 months of age in Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and the EU-27, 1989–2004. Available at: http://www.euphix.org/object_document/o4710n27421.html (Accessed 12 March 2012).
- 2010) ‘If they want to risk the health and well-being of their child, that's up to them’: long-term breastfeeding, risk and maternal identity. Health, Risk & Society 12, 357–367. (
- 2004) The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement, 3rd edn, Gower: Aldershot. & (
- 2005) What information, advice, and support do women want with breastfeeding? Birth 32, 179–186. & (
- 2004) Randomised controlled trial of support from volunteer counsellors for mothers considering breast feeding. BMJ. 328, 26. DOI: 10.1136/bmj:328.7430.26. , , & (
- 2006) Breastfeeding support for adolescent mothers: similarities and differences in the approach of midwives and qualified breastfeeding supporters. International Breastfeeding Journal 1, 23. DOI: 10.1186/1746-4358-1-23. , , & (
- 1999) Qualitative study of decisions about infant feeding among women in the east end of London. BMJ 318, 30–34. & (
- 2008) Breast feeding. BMJ 336, 881–887. , & (
- 2009) Effectiveness of a policy to provide breastfeeding groups (BIG) for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers in primary care: cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ 338, 388–392. , , , , & (
- 2012) A serial qualitative interview study of infant feeding experiences: idealism meets realism. BMJ Open 2, e000504. , , & (
- 2009) Mothers’ experiences of bottle feeding: a systematic review of qualitative and quantitative studies. Archives of Disease in Childhood 94, 596–601. , & (
- 2003) Infant feeding practices and associated factors in the first six months of life: the Norwegian Infant Nutrition Survey. Acta Paediatrica 92, 152–161. , , , , , et al. (
- 2008) Shattered expectations: when mothers’ confidence in breastfeeding is undermined – a metasynthesis. Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences 22, 653–661. , & (
- 2007) Health, morality, and infant feeding: British mothers’ experiences of formula milk use in the early weeks. Sociology of Health and Illness 29, 1075–1090. (
- 2008) Living with risk in the age of ‘intensive motherhood’: maternal identity and infant feeding. Health, Risk & Society 10, 467–477. (
- 2011) Antenatal breastfeeding education for increasing breastfeeding duration. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2011. Issue 11. Art. No: CD0064.25.pu62. , , , , & (
- 2006) Exploring women's views of breastfeeding: a focus group study within an area with high levels of socio-economic deprivation. Maternal and Child Nutrition 2, 156–158. & (
- 2010) Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers, 2nd edn, New Harbinger Publications: Oakland, CA. & (
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (2006) Routine Postnatal Care of Women and Their Babies. NICE clinical guideline no. 37 . NICE: London. Available at: http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/10988/30144/30144.pdf (Accessed 30 April 2012).
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (2008) Improving the Nutrition of Pregnant and Breastfeeding Mothers and Children in Low-Income Households. NICE public health guidance 11 . NICE: London. Available at: http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/PH011guidance.pdf (Accessed 30 April 2012).
- National Childbirth Trust (1999) NCT Baby Feeding Policy. NCT: London.
- National Childbirth Trust (2005) The National Childbirth Trust Parenthood Policy. NCT: London.
- 2010) Breastfeeding support, active listening and guidance during matrescence. Essentially MIDIRS 1, 32–36. & (
- 2011) Preparing for Birth and Parenthood: Report on First-Time Mothers and Fathers Attending NCT Antenatal Courses. NCT: London. , & (
- 2011) Ethical problems with information on infant feeding in developed countries. Public Health Ethics 4, 192–202. & (
- Public Health Agency of Canada (2009) What Mothers Say: The Canadian Maternity Experiences Survey. Public Health Agency: Ottawa, Canada.
- 1951) Client-Centred Therapy. Constable and Robinson: London. (
- 2011) Women's perceptions and experiences of breastfeeding support: a metasynthesis. Birth 38, 49–60. , , , & (
- Greater Glasgow Breastfeeding Initiative Management Team (2003) Women's experiences of breastfeeding in a formula feeding culture. Journal of Human Lactation 19, 270–277. , &
- Scottish Parliament (2005) Breastfeeding etc. (Scotland) Act 2005. Available at: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2005/1/contents (Accessed 30 April 2012).
- 1990) An Introduction to Counselling for Breastfeeding Counsellors. Available at: http://www.articles.adsoft.org/introduction_to_counselling.htm (Accessed 30 April 2012). & (
- Singh D. & Newburn M. (eds) (2000) Access to Maternity Information and Support: The Experiences and Needs of Women before and after Giving Birth. National Childbirth Trust: London. Available at: http://www.nctshop.co.uk/Access-to-maternity-information-and-support/productinfo/1767 (Accessed 30 April 2012).
- 1998) Working with breastfeeding mothers: the psychosocial context. In: Psychological Perspectives on Pregnancy and Childbirth (ed. S. Clement), pp 183–204. Churchill Livingstone: Edinburgh. (
- Statutory Instruments (2008) No. 2445 (Food) The infant formula and follow-on formula (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2008. Available at: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/2445/pdfs/uksi_20082445_en.pdf (Accessed 30 April 2012).
- 2008) Feasibility study to test Designer BreastfeedingTM: a randomised controlled trial. Evidence Based Midwifery 6, 76–82. , , , , , , & (
- Sveriges officiella statistik och Socialstyrelsen (2009) Amning och föräldrars rökvanor. Barn födda 2007 [Breastfeeding and smoking among parents of infants born in 2007]. Sveriges officiella statistik och Socialstyrelsen: Stockholm, Sweden.
- The NHS Information Centre (2011) Infant Feeding Survey 2010: Early Results. Available at: http://www.ic.nhs.uk/pubs/infantfeeding10 (Accessed 30 April 2012).
- 2011) Women's Sense of Coherence related to their infant feeding experiences. Maternal and Child Nutrition 7, 160–174. & (
- UNICEF UK Baby Friendly Initiative (2012) The Baby Friendly Initiative. Available at: http://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/ (Accessed 30 April 2012).
- 2003) The National Childbirth Trust breastfeeding counsellor training. The Practising Midwife 6, 36–37. (
- 2011) Is Breast Best? Taking on the Breastfeeding Experts and the New High Stakes of Motherhood. New York University Press: New York. (
- World Health Organization (1981) International Code of Marketing of Breast-Milk Substitutes. Available at: http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/code_english.pdf (Accessed 30 April 2012).
- World Health Organization (1986) Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion. First International Conference on Health Promotion Ottawa, 21 November 1986 -WHO/HPR/HEP/95.1. Available at: http://www.who.int/hpr/NPH/docs/ottawa_charter_hp.pdf (Accessed 30 April 2012).
- World Health Organization (2003) Global Strategy for Infant and Young Child Feeding. Geneva: Available at: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2003/9241562218.pdf (Accessed 30 April 2012).