The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Sustainability of market-based community distribution of Sprinkles in western Kenya
Article first published online: 20 NOV 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Maternal & Child Nutrition
Special Issue: Enhancing Young Child Feeding in Developing Countries
Volume 9, Issue Supplement S1, pages 78–88, January 2013
How to Cite
Suchdev, P. S., Shah, A., Jefferds, M. E. D., Eleveld, A., Patel, M., Stein, A. D., Macdonald, B. and Ruth, L. (2013), Sustainability of market-based community distribution of Sprinkles in western Kenya. Maternal & Child Nutrition, 9: 78–88. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-8709.2012.00450.x
- Issue published online: 20 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 20 NOV 2012
- 2008) What works? Interventions for maternal and child undernutrition and survival. Lancet 371, 417–440. , , , , , et al. (
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (2007) Baseline data from the Nyando Integrated Child Health and Education Project – Kenya, 2007. MMWR. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 56, 1109–1113.
- 2011) Home fortification of foods with multiple micronutrient powders for health and nutrition in children under two years of age. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (9), CD008959. , , , & (
- 2009) Systematic review and meta-analysis of home fortification of complementary foods. Maternal & Child Nutrition 5, 283–321. , & (
- 2004) Combined measurement of ferritin, soluble transferrin receptor, retinol binding protein, and C-reactive protein by an inexpensive, sensitive, and simple sandwich enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay technique. The Journal of Nutrition 134, 3127–3132. , , , & (
- 2012) Correcting for inflammation changes estimates of iron deficiency among rural Kenyan preschool children. The Journal of Nutrition 142, 105–111. , , , , , et al. (
- 2008) Sustainability science: an integrated approach for health-programme planning. Lancet 372, 1579–1589. , , , , , et al. (
- 2007) Socio-economic Differences in Health, Nutrition, and Population: Kenya. (ed HNP, TWB). , , , , & (
- 2011) A reversal in reductions of child mortality in western Kenya, 2003–2009. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 85, 597–605. , , , , , et al. (
- Home Fortification Techinical Advisory Group (HFTAG) (2011) Programmatic Guidance Brief on Use of Micronutrient Powders (MNP) for Home Fortification. Home Fortification Technical Advisory Group, Geneva.
- 2008) Hunger and Malnutrition. Copenhagen Consensus 2008 Challenge Paper. , & (
- 2010) Formative research exploring acceptability, utilization, and promotion in order to develop a micronutrient powder (Sprinkles) intervention among Luo families in western Kenya. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 31, S179–S185. , , , , , et al. (
- 2009) Worldwide prevalence of anaemia, WHO Vitamin and Mineral Nutrition Information System, 1993–2005. Public Health Nutrition 12, 444–454. , , , & (
- 1999) Health and Family Planning Indicators: Measuring Sustainability. US Agency for International Development: Washington, DC. (
- 2005) Is sustainability possible? A review and commentary on empirical studies of program sustainability. American Journal of Evaluation 26, 320–347. (
- 2010) Monitoring the marketing, distribution, and use of Sprinkles micronutrient powders in rural western Kenya. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 31, S168–S178. , , , , , et al. (
- 2012) Selling sprinkles reduces anemia, iron deficiency and vitamin a deficiency among young children in Western Kenya: a cluster-randomized controlled trial. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 95, 1223–1230. , , , , , et al. (
- 2011) Implementation of a programme to market a complementary food supplement (Ying Yang Bao) and impacts on anaemia and feeding practices in Shanxi, China. Maternal & Child Nutrition 7 (Suppl. 3), 96–111. , , , , , et al. (
- 2003) Effects of subclinical infection on plasma retinol concentrations and assessment of prevalence of vitamin A deficiency: meta-analysis. Lancet 362, 2052–2058. , , & (
- 2010) Adjusting plasma ferritin concentrations to remove the effects of subclinical inflammation in the assessment of iron deficiency: a meta-analysis. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 92, 546–555. , , , , & (
- World Health Organization (WHO) Secretariat on behalf of the participants to the Consultation (2007) Conclusions and recommendations of the WHO Consultation on prevention and control of iron deficiency in infants and young children in malaria-endemic areas. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 28, S621–S627.
- World Health Organization (WHO)/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (2004) Assessing the Iron status of Populations: Report of a Joint World Health Organization/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Technical Consultation on the Assessment of Iron Status at the Population Level. Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2005) Micronutrient sprinkles to control childhood anaemia. PLoS Medicine 2, e1. , , , , & (