Which Way through the Open Door? Reflections on the Internationalization of Chinese Firms
Version of Record online: 29 MAY 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Management and Organization Review
Volume 4, Issue 3, pages 349–365, November 2008
How to Cite
Boisot, M. and Meyer, M. W. (2008), Which Way through the Open Door? Reflections on the Internationalization of Chinese Firms. Management and Organization Review, 4: 349–365. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-8784.2008.00116.x
- Issue online: 15 OCT 2008
- Version of Record online: 29 MAY 2008
- Manuscript received: March 24, 2006Final version accepted: May 22, 2008Accepted by: Paul Beamish
- 1965. Corporate strategy: An analytical approach to business policy for growth and expansion. Middlesex: Penguin Books.
- http://ApplianceMagazine.com. 2005. Whirlpool, Maytag sign definitive merger agreement. August 22. [Cited 8 April 2008.] Available from URL: http://www.appliancemagazine.com/news.php?article=9053&zone=0&first=1
- 1969. The organization of economic activity: Issues pertinent to the choice of market vs. nonmarket allocation. In The analysis and evaluation of public expenditures: The PBB System, 1: 59–73. U.S. Joint Economic Committee, 91st Session. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- 1998. Small business growth through geographical expansion: A comparative case study. Journal of Business Venturing, 13: 467–492. , &
- 1998. Multinational subsidiary evolution: Capability and charter change in foreign-owned subsidiary companies. The Academy of Management Review, 23: 773–795. , &
- 1988. The iron law of fiefs: Bureaucratic failure and the problem of governance in the Chinese economic reforms. Administrative Science Quarterly, 33: 507–527. , &
- 2007. Chinese takeout. Wall Street Journal, February 20. [Cited 8 May 2008.] Available from URL: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117193824398613232.html , &
- 1982. Multinational enterprise and economic analysis. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2005. The internationalization of Chinese firms: A case for theoretical extension? Management and Organization Review, 1: 381–410. , &
- China Economic Review. 2007. Do not pass go. [Cited 8 April 2008.] Available from URL: http://www.chinaeconomicreview.com/cer/info/Do_not_pass_go.html
- 1937. The nature of the firm. Economica, New Series, 4: 386–405.
- 1973. British factory–Japanese factory: The origins of national diversity in industrial relations. Berkeley: The University of California Press.
- 2008. The effects of federalism on productivity in Chinese firms. Management and Organization Review, 4: 39–61. , &
- Drewry Shipping Consultants Limited. 2007. Spotlight report: Opportunities in China's container transport and logistic sectors. London, UK: Drewry Publishing. [Cited 8 May 2008.] Report brochure available from URL: http://www.drewry.co.uk/get_file.php?id=999
- 1980. Toward an eclectic theory of international production: Some empirical tests. Journal of International Business Studies, 11: 30–64.
- 1988. The eclectic paradigm of international production: A restatement and some possible extensions. Journal of International Business Studies, 19: 1–31.
- Economist Intelligence Unit. 2005. Economic policy: Five year plans: An exercise in strategic planning. Country Report: China, Dec: 18–19.
- 2005. The internationalization of Chinese family enterprises and Dunning's eclectic MNE paradigm. Management and Organization Review, 1: 411–436. , &
- 2008. An Anti-Monopoly Law for China – Scaling the Walls of Government Restraints. Antitrust Law Journal, 75: 173–194.
- 2003. IMD World Competitiveness Yearbook. June. Lausanne: IMD.
- 1989. Diversification strategy and internationalization: Implications for MNE performance. Strategic Management Journal, 10: 109–119. , , &
- Hindu Business Line. 2004. Manufacturers should leave logistics to service providers. Nov. 20. [Cited 8 April 2008.] Available from URL: http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/bline/2004/11/20/stories/2004112001830200.htm
- Hindu Business Line. 2007. Logistics providers must innovate to retain their edge. [Cited 8 April 2008.] Available from URL: http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/bline/2007/10/01/stories/2007100150690600.htm
- 1970. Exit, voice, and loyalty: Responses to decline in firms, organizations, and states. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- 2006. Revisions to China's GDP data following the 2004 economic census: More questions than answers? Hong Kong: Social Science Pre-print, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. [Last accessed 8 April 2008.] Available from URL: http://hdl.handle.net/1783.1/2525
- 2003. Selling China: Foreign direct investment during the reform era. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Capitalism with Chinese characteristics: Entrepreneurship and state during the reform era. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Forthcoming.
- 1976. The international operations of national firms: A study of direct foreign investment. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- 1990. The mechanism of internationalization. International Marketing Review, 7(4): 11–24. , &
- 1984. Multinational excursions. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- 1973. Oligopolistic reaction and multinational enterprise. Boston: Harvard Business School.
- 2004. Regional yardstick competition, fiscal reform and local governance reform in China. Paper presented at the Insititute for Chinese Studies conference on Paying for Progress: Public finance, Human Welfare, and Inequality in China, Oxford University, May 21–23, 2004. , &
- 2001. The internationalization and performance of SMEs. Strategic Management Journal, 22: 565–586. , &
- 1992. Internationalization as a Strategy Process. Strategic Management Journal, 13: 99–118.
- 2002. Decentralized enterprise reform: Notes on the transformation of Chinese State-Owned Enterprises. In A. S.Tsui & C. M.Lau (Eds.), The management of enterprises in the People's Republic of China: 241–273. New York: Kluwer Plenum Academic Press. , , , &
- 2005. Managing indefinite boundaries: The strategy and structure of a Chinese business firm. Management and Organization Review, 1: 57–86. , &
- 1994. Toward a theory of international new ventures. Journal of International Business Studies, 25: 45–64. , &
- 1999. A framework for understanding accelerated international entrepreneurship. In A.Rugman & R.Wright (Eds.), Research in global strategic management: International entrepreneurship: 23–40. Stamford, CT: JAI Press. , &
- 1959. The theory of the growth of the firm. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 1999. Technological resources and the direction of corporate diversification: Toward an integration of the resource-based view and transaction cost economics. Management Science, 45: 1109–1124.
- State Council Information Office. 2007. SAIC Deputy Director Li Dongsheng: Development of trademark administrative protection in China. [Cited 8 May 2008.] Available from URL: http://english.ipr.gov.cn/ipr/en/info/Article.jsp?a_no=85024&col_no=276&dir=200706
- 1965. Social structure and organizations. In J.March. (Ed.), Handbook of organizations: 142–193. Chicago: Rand McNally.
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD). 2003. World market for corporate HQs emerging, July 21 (Press Release). Geneva: UNCTAD. [Cited 9 April 2008.] Available from URL: http://www.unctad.org/Templates/Webflyer.asp?docID=3768&intItemID=1634&lang=1.
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD). 2004. Global Investment Prospects Assessment (GIPA) Research Note 2: Findings of second worldwide UNCTAD survey of investment promotion agencies. Presented in Prospects for FDI flows, TNC strategies and policy developments: 2004–2007 at the Eleventh Session of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, Sao Paulo, Brazil, June 2004. [Cited 9 April 2008.] Available from URL: http://www.unctad.org/en/docs/tdxibpd8_en.pdf
- 1966. International investment and international trade in the product cycle. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 80: 190–207.
- 1984. Economic relations with foreign countries. In G.Yu (Ed.), China's socialist modernization: 673–718. Beijing: Foreign Languages Press. , &
- 1983. Third world multinationals. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- 2007. Outward foreign direct investment as escape response to home country institutional constraints. Journal of International Business Studies, 38: 579–594. , &
- 2000. Internationalization of small firms: An examination of export competitive patterns, firm size, and export performance. Journal of Small Business Management, 38: 34–47. , &
- 2005. Understanding and interpreting Chinese economic reform. Mason, OH: Thomson Higher Education.
- 2004. Transaction cost determinants and ownership-based entry mode choice: A meta-analytical review. Journal of International Business Studies, 35: 524–544. , , &