City-wide drug testing using municipal wastewater
A new tool for drug epidemiology
Article first published online: 7 JUN 2011
© 2011 The Royal Statistical Society
Special Issue: Megacities
Volume 8, Issue 2, pages 70–74, June 2011
How to Cite
Banta-Green, C. and Field, J. (2011), City-wide drug testing using municipal wastewater. Significance, 8: 70–74. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-9713.2011.00489.x
- Issue published online: 7 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 7 JUN 2011
- 12009) Increase in Fatal Poisonings Involving Opioid Analgesics in the United States, 1999–2006, NCHS data brief no 22. Hyattsville , MD : National Center for Health Statistics., and (
- 3National Institute on Drug Abuse (2006) Assessing Drug Abuse Within and Across Communities: Community Epidemiology Surveillance Networks on Drug Abuse (2nd edition). NIH Publication No. 06–3614. Bethesda , MD : National Institute on Drug Abuse.
- 62001) Illicit drugs in municipal sewage: proposed new non-intrusive tool to heighten public awareness of societal use of illicit/abused drugs and their potential for ecological consequences. In C. G. Daughton and T. Jones-Lepp (eds), Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products in the Environment: Scientific and Regulatory Issues, Symposium Series 791, pp. 348–364. Washington , DC : American Chemical Society.(
- 11Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (2006) Methamphetamine/Amphetamine Treatment Admissions in Urban and Rural Areas: 2004. The Drug and Alcohol Services Information System Report No. 27. Rockville , MD : Office of Applied Studies.
- 12National Institute on Drug Abuse (2008) Epidemiologic Trends in Drug Abuse. Proceedings of the Community Epidemiology Work Group, Volume 1, June 2007, NIH Publication No. 08–6200A. Bethesda , MD : National Institute on Drug Abuse.
- 13Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (2005) Substance Abuse or Dependence in Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Areas, 2004 Update. The NSDUH Report. Rockville , MD : Office of Applied Studies. http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/2k5/metro/metro.htm.
- 16Environmental Protection Agency (2008) Clean Watersheds Needs Survey 2004: Report to Congress, January 2008. http://www.epa.gov/cwns/2004rtc/cwns2004rtc.pdf.
- 172005) Nondetects and Data Analysis: Statistics for Censored Environmental Data. Hoboken , NJ : Wiley-Interscience.(