Big data and big business: Should statisticians join in?
Version of Record online: 20 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Royal Statistical Society
Volume 10, Issue 4, pages 20–25, August 2013
How to Cite
Walker, D. and Fung, K. (2013), Big data and big business: Should statisticians join in?. Significance, 10: 20–25. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-9713.2013.00679.x
- Issue online: 20 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 20 AUG 2013
- 12009) For today's graduate, just one word: Statistics. New York Times, August 5th. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/06/technology/06stats.html?_r=2&.(
- 2Daily Telegraph (2012) Google's tax avoidance is called “capitalism”, says chairman Eric Schmidt. Daily Telegraph, December 12th. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/9739039/Googles-tax-avoidance-is-called-capitalism-says-chairman-Eric-Schmidt.html.
- 32011) Big Data: The Next Frontier for Innovation, Competition, and Productivity. McKinsey Global Institute., , , , , and (
- 4Centre for Economics and Business Research (2012) Data Equity: Unlocking the Value of Big Data. A report for SAS. London: Centre for Economics and Business Research.
- 52012) Working Futures 2010–2020. Evidence Report 41. London: UK Commission for Employment and Skills.and (
- 62011) The Civic Long Tail. London: Demos.(
- 72012) The Data Dividend. London: Demos.and (
- 82007) Information Generation: How Data Rule Our World. Oxford: Oneworld.(
- 92010) What is data science? O'Reilly Radar, June 2nd. http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/06/what-is-data-science.html.(
- 10Economist Intelligence Unit (2012) Big Data: Lessons from the Leaders. London: Economist Intelligence Unit.
- 1For today's graduate, just one word: Statistics. New York Times, August 5th. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/06/technology/06stats.html?_r=2&.(2009)
- 22012) Netflix recommendations: Beyond the 5 stars (Part I). Netflix Tech Blog, April 6th. http://techblog.netflix.com/2012/04/netflix-recommendations-beyond-5-stars.html.and (
- 32001) The Lady Tasting Tea: How Statistics Revolutionized Science in the Twentieth Century. New York: W.H. Freeman.(
- 42010) Numbers Rule Your World: The Hidden Influence of Probability and Statistics on Everything You Do. New York: McGraw-Hill.(
- 52012) The A/B test: Inside the technology that's changing the rules of business. Wired, April. http://www.wired.com/business/2012/04/ff_abtesting/.(
- 62012) Trustworthy online controlled experiments: Five puzzling outcomes explained. Paper presented to KDD 2012, the 18th ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Beijing. http://www.exp-platform.com/Documents/puzzlingOutcomesInControlledExperiments.pdf., , , , and (
- 72013) “On the near-impossibility of measuring the returns to advertising,” April 11th.and (
- 82012) Colocation: The root of all high-frequency trading evil. Wall Street Journal MarketBeat blog, September 20th. http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2012/09/20/collocation-the-root-of-all-high-frequency-trading-evil/.(