Department of Human Development, Virginia Tech, Northern Virginia Graduate Center, 7054 Haycock Road, Room 202G, Falls Church, VA 22043 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Shadowed by War: Building Community Capacity to Support Military Families
Version of Record online: 26 MAR 2009
© 2009 by the National Council on Family Relations
Volume 58, Issue 2, pages 216–228, April 2009
How to Cite
Huebner, A. J., Mancini, J. A., Bowen, G. L. and Orthner, D. K. (2009), Shadowed by War: Building Community Capacity to Support Military Families. Family Relations, 58: 216–228. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-3729.2008.00548.x
Institute for Society, Culture and Environment and Department of Human Development, Virginia Tech (0416), 303 Wallace Hall, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
**School of Social Work, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 301 Pittsboro Street, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3550.
***School of Social Work and Public Policy, Jordan Institute for Families, The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3550.
- Issue online: 26 MAR 2009
- Version of Record online: 26 MAR 2009
- 2007). Perceived stress, heart rate, and blood pressure among adolescents with family members deployed in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Military Medicine, 172, 40 – 43. , , & . (
- 2003). Promoting the adaptation of military families: An empirical test of a community practice model. Family Relations, 52, 33 – 52. , , , , & . (
- 2006). The Unit Assets Inventory. Chapel Hill, NC: Bowen & Colleagues. Retrieved October 20, 2007, from Flying Bridge Technologies, Inc. Web site: https://uai.communitiesinblue.org/ , & . (
- 2009). Building community capacity in the U.S. Air Force: The community readiness model. In A. R.Roberts (Ed.), Social worker’s desk reference (2nd ed., pp. 912–917) New York: Oxford University Press. , , , & . (
- 2000). Community capacity: Antecedents and consequences. Journal of Community Practice, 8(2), 1 – 21. , , , & . (
- 2001). Civic engagement and sense of community in the military. Journal of Community Practice, 9(2), 71 – 93. , , , & . (
- 2004, November). Community capacity and the health of married active duty members. In G. L.Bowen (Chair), Community capacity and the health of military families. Symposium conducted at the National Council on Family Relations 66th Annual Conference, Orlando, FL. , , & . (
- 2001). Building community capacity: A manual for U.S. Air Force family support centers. Chapel Hill, NC: A Better Image Printing. , , , & . (
- Caliber Associates. (2003). Survey of spouses of activated national guard and reserve component members. Fairfax, VA: Author.
- 2008). Essential life skills for military families; mobilizing the cooperative extension systenm in north cardline: Journal of Family and consumer. Service, 100(1), 52 – 57. , , , , & . (
- 1988). Social capital in the creation of human capital. American Journal of Sociology, 94, S95 – S120. . (
- Defense Manpower Data Center. (2008). Military casualty information. Retrieved on March 20, 2008, from http://siadapp.dmdc.osd.mil/personnel/CASUALTY/castop.htm
- 2003). Geographic mobility, family, and maternal variables as related to the psychosocial adjustment of military children. Military Medicine, 168, 1019 – 1024. , , & . (
- 2007). Child maltreatment in enlisted soldiers’ families during combat-related deployments. Journal of American Medical Association, 298, 528 – 535. , , , & . (
- 2007). Support for military families. Journal of Community Psychology, 35, 171 – 180. , & . (
- 2007). Parental deployment and youth in military families: Exploring uncertainty and ambiguous loss. Family Relations, 56, 112 – 122. , , , , & . (
- 2007). Families under stress: An assessment of data, theory, and research on marriage and divorce in the military (Rand National Defense Research Institute Monograph No. MG-599-OSD). Arlington, VA: Rand Corporation. , & . (
- 2003). Risk of suicide and related adverse outcomes after exposure to a suicide prevention programme in the US Air Force: Cohort study. British Medical Journal, 327, 1376 – 1380. , , , , & . (
- 1993). Building communities from the inside out: A path toward finding and mobilizing a community’s assets. Chicago: Acta. , & . (
- 2005). Community social organization: A conceptual linchpin in examining families in the context of communities. Family Relations, 54, 570 – 582. , , & . (
- 2003). Community capacity. In T.Gullotta & M.Bloom (Eds.), Encyclopedia of primary prevention and health promotion (pp. 319 – 331). New York: Plenum. , , & . (
- 2006). Preventing intimate partner violence: A community capacity approach. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment, and Trauma, 13, 203 – 227. , , , & . (
- 2004, April). Building strong communities for military families (NCFR Policy Brief). Minneapolis, MN: National Council on Family Relations. , , , , & . (
- 2005). Military service, marital status, and men’s relationship satisfaction. Individual Differences Research, 3, 177 – 182. , & . (
- Office of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense. (2005). 2005 demographics report. Retrieved October 25, 2007, from Purdue University, Military Family Research Institute Web site: http://www.cfs.purdue.edu/mfri/pages/military/2005_Demographics_Report.pdf
- 2007, August 29). Extending tours, stressing troops. In These Times, Vol. 31, issue 9. Retrieved April 4, 2008, from http://www.inthesetimes.com/main/print/3295/ . (
- Operation: Military Kids. (2007). Operation: Military Kids Annual Report. Alexandria, VA: Author.
- 2004). Strengthening practice through results management. In A. R.Roberts & K.Yeager (Eds.), Handbook of practice based research (pp. 897 – 904). New York: Oxford University Press. , & . (
- 2005). Adjustment among Army children to deployment separations. Washington, DC: Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences. , & . (
- 2006). Deployment and separation adjustment among Army civilian spouses. Washington, DC: Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences. , & . (
- 2007). Family readiness group involvement and adjustment among Army civilian spouses. Washington, DC: Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences. , & . (
- 2007, November 24). U.S. to reduce Iraq troop levels by 5,000. Washington Post. Retrieved November 26, 2007, from http://www.washingtonpost.com/ . (
- 2002). Assessing neighborhood effects: Social processes and new directions in research. Annual Review of Sociology, 28, 443 – 478. , , & . (
- 2001). Communities as systems: Is a community more than the sum of its parts? In A.Booth & A. C.Crouter (Eds.), Does it take a village? Community effects on children, adolescents, and families (pp. 161 – 174). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum. , & . (
- Tanielian, T., & Jaycox, L. H. (Eds.). (2008). Invisible wounds of war: Psychological and cognitive injuries, their consequences, and services to assist recovery. Santa Monica, CA: RAND.
- 2008). Germany rebuffs U.S. on troops in Afghanistan. Washington Post. Retrieved April 3, 2008, from http://www.washingtonpost.com . (