AUTHOR'S NOTE: I am obliged to Michael Dimock, Gary King, and Keith Poole for data and advice on this project.
The Effects of the George W. Bush Presidency on Partisan Attitudes
Article first published online: 6 APR 2009
© 2009 Center for the Study of the Presidency
Presidential Studies Quarterly
Volume 39, Issue 2, pages 172–209, June 2009
How to Cite
JACOBSON, G. C. (2009), The Effects of the George W. Bush Presidency on Partisan Attitudes. Presidential Studies Quarterly, 39: 172–209. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-5705.2009.03671.x
- Issue published online: 6 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 6 APR 2009
- 1985. “Economic Conditions, Presidential Popularity, and Voting Behavior in Midterm Congressional Elections. Journal of Politics 47 (February): 31-43.
- 1986. “Determinants of the Outcomes of U.S. Senate Elections. Journal of Politics 48 (May): 433-39. , and .
- 2008. “Party in Power, Running as if It Weren't. New York Times, September 5. .
- 1991. “Comparing Dynamic Specifications: The Case of Presidential Approval. Political Analysis 3 (Winter): 51-88. .
- 1991. Assessing the President: The Media, Elite Opinion, and Public Support. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
- 2007. “The Case of Bush's Re-Election: Did Gay Marriage Do It?” In A Matter of Faith: Religion in the 2004 Presidential Election, ed. David E.Campbell. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press. , and .
- 1993. The Presidential Pulse of Congressional Elections. Lexington: University Press of Kentucky.
- 2008. “Editor's Introduction: Forecasting the 2008 National Elections. PS: Political Science and Politics 41 (October): 679-81.
- 2007. “Bush Stirs Young Voters' Enthusiasm for Democrats, Ballot Box.” Bloomberg, December 11. .
- 1990. “Economic Conditions and the Congressional Vote: A Review of the Macro-Level Evidence. American Journal of Political Science 34 (May): 373-99.
- 1998. “What Moves Macropartisanship? A Response to Green, Palmquist, and Schickler. American Political Science Review 92 (December): 901-21. , , and .
- 1981. Retrospective Voting in American National Elections. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- 1998. “Macropartisanship: A Replication and Critique. American Political Science Review 92 (December): 883-99. , , and .
- 2002. Partisan Hearts and Minds: Political Parties and the Social Identities of Voters. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press. , , and .
- 1982. “The Dynamics of Political Support for American Presidents Among Occupational and Partisan Groups. American Journal of Political Science 26 (May): 312-32. , , and .
- 1990. “Does the Economy Matter in Midterm Elections. American Journal of Political Science 34 (May): 400-07.
- 2003. “Terror, Terrain, and Turnout: The 2002 Midterm Election. Political Science Quarterly 118 (Spring): 1-22.
- 2005. “Polarized Politics and the 2004 Congressional and Presidential Elections. Political Science Quarterly 120 (Summer): 199-218.
- 2007a. “The President, the War, and Voting Behavior in the 2006 House Elections: Evidence from Four National Surveys.” Paper presented at the Illinois Conference on Congressional Elections, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, October 18–19.
- 2007b. “Referendum: The 2006 Midterm Congressional Elections. Political Science Quarterly 122 (Spring): 1-24.
- 2007c. “The War, the President, and the 2006 Midterm Congressional Elections.” Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association, Chicago, April 12–15.
- 2008. A Divider, Not a Uniter: George W. Bush and the American People: The 2006 Election and Beyond. New York: Pearson Longman.
- 2009. The Politics of Congressional Elections. 7th ed. New York: Pearson Longman.
- 1983. Strategy and Choice in Congressional Elections. 2nd ed. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press. , and .
- 2008. “Democrats Reestablish Double-Digit Lead in Party Affiliation.” Gallup News Service, September 23.
- 1992. The Myth of the Independent Voter. Berkeley: University of California Press. , , , , , and .
- 1977. “Presidential Popularity and Negative Voting: An Alternative Explanation of the Midterm Congressional Decline of the President's Party. American Political Science Review 71 (March): 44-66. .
- 1978. “Explaining Presidential Popularity. American Political Science Review 72 (June): 506-22. .
- 2008. “Obama Hauls in a Record $750 Million for Campaign. New York Times, December 5. .
- 1983. “Political Drama, Economic Conditions, and the Dynamics of Presidential Popularity. American Journal of Political Science 27 (June): 165-92. .
- 1989. “Macropartisanship. American Political Science Review 83 (December): 1125-42. , , and .
- 1992. “Controversy: Question Wording and Macropartisanship. American Political Science Review 86 (June): 475-86. , , , , and , Jr.
- 2007. “George W. Bush, the Republican Party, and the ‘New’ American Party System. Perspectives on Politics 5 (September): 461-88. , and .
- 1996. The New American Voter. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. , and .
- 1978. “Economic Influences on Presidential Popularity Among Key Political and Socioeconomic Groups: A Review of the Evidence and Some New Findings. Political Behavior 5 (Summer): 309-45.
- 2002. “Bill Clinton's Approval Ratings: The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same. Presidential Research Quarterly 55 (December): 781-804. .
- 2007. “GOP Identification, Party Image, Bush Approval Down as Rove Leaves. Gallup News Service, August 17. , and .
- 1983. “Macroeconomic Conditions and Fluctuations of Presidential Popularity: The Question of Lagged Effects. American Journal of Political Science 27 (November): 785-807. , and .
- 1986. “Interpreting U.S. Congressional Elections: The Exposure Thesis. Legislative Studies Quarterly 11: 227-47. , , and .
- Pew Research Center for the People and the Press. 2004. “Cable and Internet Loom Large in Fragmented Political News Universe.” Survey report, January 11.
- Pew Research Center for the People and the Press. 2007a. “A Year Ahead, Republicans Face Tough Political Terrain.” Survey Report, October 31.
- Pew Research Center for the People and the Press. 2007b. “A Portrait of ‘Generation Next.” Survey Report, January 9.
- 2008. “Candidates Clash over Character and Policy. New York Times, October 16. .
- 2007. “Tolerance for Gay Rights at High-Water Mark.” Gallup News Service, May 29. .
- 1975. “Determinants of the Outcomes of Midterm Congressional Elections. American Political Science Review 69 (September): 812-26.
- 1978. Political Control of the Economy. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- 1991. “The Influence of the Economy on Party Identification in the Reagan Years. Journal of Politics 53 (November): 1077-92. , and