Doing what's important: Valued activities for older New Zealand Māori and non-Māori
Article first published online: 29 FEB 2012
© 2012 The Authors; Australasian Journal on Ageing © 2012 ACOTA
Australasian Journal on Ageing
Volume 31, Issue 4, pages 241–246, December 2012
How to Cite
Wright-St Clair, V. A., Kepa, M., Hoenle, S., Hayman, K., Keeling, S., Connolly, M., Broad, J., Dyall, L. and Kerse, N. (2012), Doing what's important: Valued activities for older New Zealand Māori and non-Māori. Australasian Journal on Ageing, 31: 241–246. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-6612.2011.00583.x
- Issue published online: 17 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 29 FEB 2012
- 1Demographic aspects of New Zealand's ageing population. Wellington: Statistics New Zealand, Tatauranga Aotearoa, 2007. Available from URL: http://www.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_stats/people_and_communities/older_people/demographic-aspects-nz-ageing-population.aspx, .
- 2Physical activity, fitness and aging. In: Bouchard C, Blair S, Haskell W, eds. Physical Activity and Health. Champain, IL: Human Kinetics, 2007: 271–786..
- 4Cognition and leisure time activities of older adults. The Lifelong Learning Institute Review 2009; 4: 22–28., .
- 6Oranga Kaumatua: Perceptions of health in older Māori people. Social Policy Journal of New Zealand 2004; 23: 167–180..
- 10Productive activities and development of frailty in older adults. The Journals of Gerontology, Series B: Social Sciences 2010; 65B: 256–261., , , .
- 11Intellectual activity and the likelihood of subsequently improving or maintaining instrumental activities of daily living functioning in community-dwelling older Japanese: A longitudinal study. Internation Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2009; 24: 547–555., , et al.
- 13Social participation and survival at older ages: Is the effect driven by activity content or context? European Journal of Ageing 2005; 2: 31–39., .
- 16The relation between everyday activities and successful aging: A 6-year longitudinal study. The Journals of Gerontology 2003; 58B: S74–S82..
- 17Does engagement with life enhance survival of elderly people in Sweden? The role of social and leisure activities. The Journals of Gerontology 2001; 56B: S335–SS42., .
- 25What older people do: Time use and exploring the link between role participation and life satisfaction in people aged 65 years and over. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal 2007; 54: 273–284., , .
- 27World Health Organization. International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2001.
- 28Healthy Ageing Research Unit. Melbourne Longitudinal Studies on Healthy Ageing Program (MELSHA). Melbourne: Monash University, 2011. [Cited 5 February 2011.] Available from URL: http://www.med.monash.edu.au/sphc/haru/melsha/index.html
- 29Counting for Nothing: What Men Value and What Women Do. Wellington: Allen and Unwin, 1988..
- 30Set the overgrowth alight and new shoots will spring forth: New directions in community-based research. AlterNative: An International Journal of Indigenous Peoples 2007; 2: 108–127., .