Exploring Understanding of the Term Nursing Assessment: A Mixed Method Review of the Literature
Article first published online: 2 DEC 2009
©2009 Sigma Theta Tau International
Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing
Volume 7, Issue 2, pages 98–110, June 2010
How to Cite
Beckwith, S., Dickinson, A. and Kendall, S. (2010), Exploring Understanding of the Term Nursing Assessment: A Mixed Method Review of the Literature. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, 7: 98–110. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-6787.2009.00178.x
- Issue published online: 16 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Accepted 20 September 2009
- 2004). The guideline contradiction: Health Visitors use of formal guidelines for identifying and assessing families needs. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 41, 785–797. & (
- BarnhartR.K. & SteinmetzS. (Eds.). (2001). Chambers dictionary of etymology. Edinburgh , Scotland : Chambers Harrap.
- 1952). Some functions of qualitative analysis in social research. In U.Kelle & C.Erzberger (Eds.), Qualitative and quantitative methods: Not in opposition. London : Sage. & (
- Bazian Ltd. (2005). Preoperative assessment by nurses. Evidence Based Healthcare and Public Health, 9, 396–380.
- 1984). From novice to expert: Excellence and power in clinical nursing practice. Menlo Park , CA : Addison-Wesley. (
- 1987). How expert nurses use intuition. American Journal of Nursing, 87(1), 23–31. & (
- 2004). Chapter 5.13. In U.Flick, E.Von Kardoff & I.Steinke (Eds.), A companion to qualitative research (B. Jenner translator). London : Sage. (
- 1996). Decision making in community nursing: An analysis of the stages of decision making as they relate to community nursing assessment practice. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 24, 24–30. & (
- 2005). Cognitive continuum theory in nursing decision-making. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 49(4), 397–405. , & (
- 1999). Assessment and care management: Developments since the community care reforms. In M.Henwood & G.Wistow (Eds.), With respect to old age (Vol. 3, Cm 4192-II/3; pp. 69–86). London : Stationery Office. (
- 2002). Overview of research designs. Emergency Medicine Journal, 19, 546–549. (
- 2002). Assessment in community care: Disputed territory. The Research Findings Register. Retrieved 19 January 2005, from http://www.ReFeR.nhs.uk. (
- Council of Europe. (2000). Social cohesion and quality of life. Retrieved 9 May 2007, from http://www.coe.int/t/e/social_cohesion/health/documentation/NURSES%20role%20&%20edu%20PUB%20eng.asp.
- 1998). Qualitative inquiry and research design. London : Sage. (
- 1995). The cognitive component of nursing assessment: An analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 22, 201–212. , & (
- 1995). Categorisation of the patient's condition: An analysis of nursing judgement. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 32(5), 413–422. & (
- 1996). Overcoming the challenges of nursing in Turkey. Seminars in Perioperative Nursing, 5(4), 254–256. & (
- Lord of Denham. (2008). High quality care for all: NHS Next Stage Review. Final report, Department of Health, London . ,
- Department of Health. (1990). The National Health Service and the Community Care Act. London : Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
- Department of Health. (1991). The Patient's Charter for England. Putting the Citizen's Charter into practice in the National Health Service. London : Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
- Department of Health. (1992). Value for money review. London : HMSO.
- Department of Health. (1996). In a different light. School nurses and their role in meeting the needs of school age children. London : Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
- Department of Health. (2000). The NHS plan. London : Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
- Department of Health. (2001a). Essence of care. London : Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
- Department of Health. (2001b). National service framework for older people. London : Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
- Department of Health. (2002a). The Single Assessment Process: Assessment tools and scales. London : Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
- Department of Health. (2002b). Guidance for the single assessment process for older people. London : Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
- Department of Health. (2003). Nurse prescribers extended formulary. Proposals to extend the range of prescription only medicines-consultation document. London : Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
- Department of Health. (2004). Core document NSF for children, young people and maternity services. London : Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
- Department of Health. (2008). High quality care for all. NHS Next Stage Review final report. London : Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
- 2006). Implementing the Single Assessment Process: Opportunities and challenges. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 20(4), 365–379. (
- 2006). Improving the health of older people: Implementing Patient-Focused Mealtime Practice. Foundation of Nursing Studies Dissemination Series, 3(10), 1–4. , & . (
- 2005). Synthesising qualitative and quantitative evidence: A review of possible methods. Journal of Health Services Research, 10(1), 45–53. , , , & (
- 2005). Challenges for nursing in the 21st century. Nursing Economics, 23(6), 312–318. (
- 2005). Systematic reviews in health care: Meta-analysis in context, 5th ed. London : BMJ Books. , & (
- 2000). Sharing the evidence: Clinical practice benchmarking to improve continuously the quality of care. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 32, 215–225. (
- 1978). Medical problem solving: an analysis of clinical reasoning. Cambridge , MA : Harvard University Press. , & (
- 1994). Developing professional knowledge. London : Falmer Press. (
- 1977). Nietzsche, genealogy, history. In D.F.Bouchard (Ed.), Language, counter memory, practice, selected essays and interviews. Ithaca , NY : Cornell University. (
- 1978). Theoretical sensitivity: Advances in the methodology of grounded theory. Mill Valley , CA : Sociology Press. (
- 2002). Changing relationships. Findings from the Patient Involvement Project. London : Kings Fund Bookshop. Retrieved 30 August 2009, from http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/research/publications/changing.html. , & (
- 2004). You don't tick boxes on a form; a study of how mental health nurses assess and manage risk. Health Risk and Society, 6(4), 347–360. (
- 2005). Nutritional screening and assessment tools for use by nurses: A literature review. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 50(1), 69–83. & (
- 2005). Story lines of research in diffusion of innovation: A meta-narrative approach to systematic review. Social Science and Medicine, 61, 417–430. , , , , & (
- 2005, November 1). Randomised controlled trial of a lay-led self-management programme for Bangladeshi patients with chronic disease. British Journal of General Practice, 520, 831–837. , , , , , , , & (
- 1994). Factors influencing nurses pain assessment and interventions in children. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 20(8), 835–860. , , & (
- 1992). What's wrong with ethnography? Methodological explanations. London : Routeledge. (
- 1991). Clinical decision making in nursing. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 16, 404–407. (
- 2005). Methodological issue in combing diverse study types in systematic reviews. International Journal of Social Research Methodology, 8, 257–271. & (
- 2003). Health needs assessment in the HV service. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 40(1), 85–94. & (
- 1999). Patients' and nurses' assessment of cancer pain. European Journal of Cancer Care, 8, 213–219. & (
- International Council of Nurses. (2004) Network update 5. Nursing around the world. Retrieved May 8, 2007, from http://www.icn-apnetwork.org.
- 2001). Infection control and changing health care delivery systems. Emergency Infectious Diseases, 7(2), 170–173. (
- 2002). Managing ADR: An orphan task. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 38(5), 437–448. (
- 1995). Expanding the home care concept: Blurring distinctions among home care, institutional care and other long-term-care services. Milbank Quarterly, 73, 2. Retrieved 17 November 2009 from http://www.milbank.org. (
- 2002). The work of district nurses: First assessment visit. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 40(6), 710–720. (
- 1978). Care of the long term sick in the community. Edinburgh , Scotland : Churchill Livingstone. (
- 2001). Patient assessment in nursing care using fuzzy logic. ITIN, 13(2), 10–15. & (
- 1998). Organizing context: Nurse's assessment of older people in an inner city medical unit. Nursing Inquiry, 5, 43–57. (
- 1994). Users guide to the medical literature. JAMA, 273(20), 1610–1613. , , , , & (
- 1995). Towards knowledge based practice: An evaluation of a method of dissemination. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 32(1), 59–67. & (
- 1998). Decision making: The context of nurse prescribing. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 27(3), 657–665. , , , & (
- 2004). Self-administration of medication in hospital: Patients' perspectives. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 46(2), 194–203. , , & (
- 1991). Predicting outcome in intensive therapy units—a comparison of Apache 11 with subjective assessments. Intensive Care Medicine, 17(3), 159–163. , , & (
- 2005). Understanding patient and family: Holistic assessment in palliative care. British Journal of Community Nursing, 10(7), 318–322. & (
- 1996). The question of knowledge in District Nursing. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 33(3), 316–324. (
- 1999). What do patients want from doctors? Content analysis of patient agendas for the consultation. British Journal of General Practice, 49, 796–800. & (
- 1992). Tacit nursing knowledge: An untapped resource or a methodological headache? Journal of Advanced Nursing, 17, 108–112. (
- 2002). Assessment in social work (2nd ed.). Houndmills , UK : Palgrave Macmillan. & (
- 1999). A systematic review of the relationship between written manual nursing care plans, record keeping and patient outcomes. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 30(1), 51–57. & (
- 1994). Sensing patient needs: Exploring concepts of nursing\insight and receptivity used in nursing assessment. Scholarly Inquiry for Nursing practice, 8(3), 233–254. , , & (
- 1998). Nursing research and the evidence. Evidence Based Nursing, 1, 4–6. (
- 2005). Dynamic professional boundaries in the healthcare workforce. Sociology of Health and Illness, 27, 897–919. & (
- 1999). A comparison of patient and proxy symptom assessment in advanced cancer care. Palliative Medicine, 13, 311–323. , , & (
- 2003). The need for accurate perception and informed judgement in determining the appropriate use of the nursing resource: Hearing the patient's voice. Nursing Philosophy, 4(3), 201–210. & (
- 1996). How not to clarify concepts in nursing. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 24, 572–578. (
- 2003). Nursing ethics in modern China: Conflicting values and competing role requirements. Amsterdam , Netherlands : Rodopi. (
- 2004). Towards a Chinese definition of nursing. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 46(6), 657–670. , , , , , & (
- 1983). Discovery of the gestalt in critical care nursing: The importance of Grey Gorilla Syndrome. Image: Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 15(2), 51–57. & (
- 1986). Intuition: Concept analysis of group phenomenon. Advances in Nursing Science, 8(2), 21–28. (
- 2004). Quality monitoring of nurse telephone triage: Pilot study. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 47(5), 551–560. , , , , & (
- RoschE., & LloydB. (Ed.). (1978). Cognition and categorization. Hillsdale , NJ : Lawrence Erlbaum.
- 2002). Ingredients for change: Revisiting a conceptual framework. Quality and Safety in Health Care, 11, 174–180. , , , , , (
- 2000). A pilot randomised controlled trial of medical versus nurse clerking for minor surgery. Archive of Disease in Childhood, 83, 223–226. , , & . (
- 2000). Measuring post-decision satisfaction. Medical Decision Making, 20, 45–50. & (
- 1998). Initial assessment: Gaining impressions and normal cases. Accident and Emergency Nursing, 6, 70–74. (
- 1993). On acquiring expertise in medicine. Behavioural Science, 5(3), 205–221. & (
- 1990). A cognitive perspective on medical expertise: Theory and implication. Academic Medicine, 65(10), 611–621. , & (
- 1987). Using intuitive knowledge in neonatal intensive care nursery. Holistic Nursing Practice, 1(3), 45–51. & (
- 2002). A concordance based study of metaphoric expressions use by general practitioners and patients in consultations. British Journal of General Practice, 52, 114–118. , & (
- 2004). A randomised control trial to compare nurse practitioner to medical staff in the preparation of patients for diagnostic cardiac catheterisation: The study of nursing intervention in practice. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 3, 53–59. , , , , & . (
- 2004). Integrating qualitative research with trials in systematic reviews. BMJ, 328, 1010–1012. , , , , , , & (
- 1991). Feeding problems, height and weight in different groups of disabled children. Acta Paediatrica Scandinavica, 80, 527–533. , , , & (
- 2005). Using social judgement theory to model nurses' use of clinical information in critical care education. Nurse Education Today, 25(1), 68–77. , , & (
- 2000). Carework as bodywork. Ageing and Society, 20, 389–411. (
- 2003). Philosophy, knowledge and theory in the assessment of pain. British Journal of Nursing, 12(8), 494–501. (
- 2002). Securing our future for health. Taking the long term view. London : HMS Treasury. . (
- 1992). Philosophical investigations. In O.Hanfling (Ed.), Philosophical aesthetics. Oxford , England: Oxford University Press. (
- World Health Organisation. (1978). Report of the International Conference on Primary Health Care. Alma Alta 1977. Geneva , Switzerland : Author.
- World Health Organisation. (2008). The World Heath Report 2008. Now more than ever. Retrieved 30 March 2009, from http://www.who.int/whr/2008/whr08_en.pdf.
- World Health Organisation Regional Office for Europe. (2006). Home–health care delivery. Retrieved 8 May 2007, from http://www.euro.who.int/healthcaredelivery.
- 1990). Judgement and decision making. Englewood Cliffs , NJ : Prentice Hall. (