Disclosures GYHL has received funding for research, educational symposia, consultancy and lecturing from different manufacturers of drugs used for the treatment of thrombosis, including AstraZeneca, Bayer, Astellas and Daichii-Sankyo. He has served on the Executive Steering Committee for phase 2 and phase 3 clinical trials with new oral anticoagulant drugs for atrial fibrillation and acute coronary syndromes. KHT, CWK and ES – none declared.
Novel oral anticoagulants
Article first published online: 16 FEB 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
International Journal of Clinical Practice
Volume 63, Issue 4, pages 630–641, April 2009
How to Cite
Khoo, C. W., Tay, K.-H., Shantsila, E. and Lip, G. Y. H. (2009), Novel oral anticoagulants. International Journal of Clinical Practice, 63: 630–641. doi: 10.1111/j.1742-1241.2009.02011.x
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 16 FEB 2009
- Paper received December 2008, accepted January 2009
- 1National Collaborating Centre for Chronic Conditions. Atrial Fibrillation: National Clinical Guideline for Management in Primary and Secondary Care. London: Royal College of Physicians, 2006.
- 2ACC/AHA/ESC 2006 guidelines for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: full text: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Revise the 2001 guidelines for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation) developed in collaboration with the European Heart Rhythm Association and the Heart Rhythm Society. Europace 2006; 8: 651–745., , et al.
- 6The effect of extreme age, and gender, on the pharmacology and tolerability of rivaroxaban – an oral, direct factor Xa inhibitor (Abstract 905). Blood 2006; 107: 108., , , .
- 11Treatment of proximal deep-vein thrombosis with the oral direct factor Xa inhibitor rivaroxaban (BAY 59-7939): the ODIXa-DVT (Oral Direct Factor Xa Inhibitor BAY 59-7939 in patients with Acute Symptomatic Deep-Vein Thrombosis) study. Circulation 2007; 116: 180–7., , et al.
- 12on behalf of the Einstein-DVT Dose-Ranging Study Investigators. A dose-ranging study evaluating once-daily oral administration of the factor Xa inhibitor rivaroxaban in the treatment of patients with acute symptomatic deep vein thrombosis: the Einstein-DVT Dose-Ranging Study. Blood 2008; 112: 2242–7., , et al.,
- 13Preclinical pharmacokinetic and metabolism of apixaban, a potent and selective Factor Xa inhibitor (Abstract 901) Blood 2006; 107: 108., , et al.
- 15Botticelli Investigators, Writing Committee. Efficacy and safety of the oral direct factor Xa inhibitor apixaban for symptomatic deep vein thrombosis. The Botticelli DVT dose-ranging study. J Thromb Haemost 2008; 6: 1313–8., , , ,
- 16Bristol-Myers Squibb and Pfizer. Bristol-Myers Squibb and Pfizer provide update on apixaban clinical development program (press release), 26 August 2008. http://www.prdomain.com/companies/P/Pfizer/newsreleases/20089361638.htm (accessed December 2008).
- 17Bristol-Myers Squibb and Pfizer. Bristol-Myers Squibb and Pfizer provide update on apixaban clinical development program (press release), 26 August 2008. http://www.pfizer.com/news/press_releases/pfizer_press_releases.jsp?rssUrl=http://mediaroom.pfizer.com/portal/site/pfizer/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&ndmConfigId=1010794&newsId=20080826006372&newsLang=en (accessed December 2008).
- 18Biochemical and pharmacological profiles of YM150, an oral direct Factor Xa inhibitor (Abstract 911). Blood 2006; 107: 108., , et al.
- 21A phase-1 study to assess the antithrombotic properties of DU-176b: an orally active direct factor-Xa inhibitor (Abstract 908–161). J Am Coll Cardiol 2006; 47: 288A., , et al.
- 23New blood thinner offers first potential alternative in 50 years: Ximelagatran. J Cardiovasc Nurs 2004; 19: 374–83., , , .
- 26Executive Steering Committee on behalf of the SPORTIF III Investigators. Stroke prevention with the oral direct thrombin inhibitor ximelagatran compared with warfarin in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation (SPORTIF III): randomized controlled trial. Lancet 2003; 362: 1691–8..
- 31AstraZeneca provide update on Ximelagatran. http://www.astrazenecaclinicaltrials.com/article/528850.aspx (accessed December 2008).
- 36A new oral direct thrombin inhibitor, dabigatran etexilate, compared with enoxaparin for prevention of thromboembolic events following total hip or knee replacement: the BISTRO II randomized trial. J Thromb Haemost 2005; 3: 103–11., , et al.
- 41ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00808067. http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00808067 (accessed December 2008).