Drug and dietary interactions of the new and emerging oral anticoagulants
Version of Record online: 17 MAY 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
International Journal of Clinical Practice
Volume 64, Issue 7, pages 956–967, June 2010
How to Cite
Walenga, J. M. and Adiguzel, C. (2010), Drug and dietary interactions of the new and emerging oral anticoagulants. International Journal of Clinical Practice, 64: 956–967. doi: 10.1111/j.1742-1241.2009.02286.x
- Issue online: 17 MAY 2010
- Version of Record online: 17 MAY 2010
- Paper received October 2009, accepted November 2009
- 5A new oral direct thrombin inhibitor, dabigatran etexilate, compared with enoxaparin for prevention of thromboembolic events following total hip or knee replacement: the BISTRO II randomized trial. J Thromb Haemost 2005; 3: 103–11., , et al.
- 19Botticelli Investigators, Writing Committee, , , , . Efficacy and safety of the oral direct factor Xa inhibitor apixaban for symptomatic deep vein thrombosis. The Botticelli DVT dose-ranging study. J Thromb Haemost 2008; 6: 1313–8.
- 22US Department of Health and Human Services. Briefing Information for the March 19, 2009 Cardiovascular and Renal Drugs Advisory Committee. http://www.fda.gov/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/CardiovascularandRenalDrugsAdvisoryCommittee/ucm138368.htm (accessed August 2009).
- 26Pradaxa® (dabigatran etexilate). Summary of product characteristics, last updated 03/2009. Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH. http://www.pradaxa.com/Include/media/pdf/Pradaxa_SPC_EMEA.pdf (accessed August 2009).
- 28Xarelto® (rivaroxaban). Summary of product characteristics, last updated 09/2008. Bayer Schering Pharma. http://www.xarelto.com/html/downloads/Xarelto_Summary_of_Product_Characteristics_May2009.pdf (accessed August 2009).
- 312006) Evaluation of accuracy of drug interaction alerts triggered by two electronic medical record systems in primary health care. In: AbidiR, BathP, KeseljV, eds. ISHIMR 2006 – Advancing Health Information Management and Health Informatics: Issues, Strategies, and Tools. Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Health Information Management Research. Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada July 14–16., , , (
- 33No interaction between rivaroxaban – a novel, oral, direct Factor Xa inhibitor – and atorvastatin. Poster P062 presented at the 20th International Congress on Thrombosis (ICT), Athens, Greece; 25–28 June 2008. http://www.xarelto.com/html/images/events/ICT/ICT_2008_Atorvastatin_Interaction.pdf., , .
- 34No interaction of the oral direct thrombin inhibitor dabigatran etexilate and digoxin [abstract]. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5(S2): abstract P-W-672., , , , .
- 37A pooled analysis of four pivotal studies of rivaroxaban for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after orthopaedic surgery: effects of specified co-medications. Abstract 1986 presented at the American Society of Hematology (ASH) 50th Annual Meeting and Exposition, San Francisco, CA; December 6–9, 2008. http://www.xarelto.com/html/images/events/ASH/ASH2008_Pooled_Analysis_of_Four_Pivotal_Studies_of_Rivaroxaban.pdf (accessed December 2009)., , et al.
- 39Concomitant administration of rivaroxaban – an oral, direct Factor Xa inhibitor – with clopidogrel and acetylsalicylic acid enhances antithrombosis in rats. Poster P060 presented at the 20th International Congress on Thrombosis (ICT), Athens, Greece; 25–28 June 2008. http://www.xarelto.com/html/images/events/ICT/ICT_2008_Interaction_with_Clopidogrel_and_Acetylsalicylic_Acid.pdf (accessed December 2009)., , .
- 41APPRAISE Steering Committee and Investigators, , et al. Apixaban, an oral, direct, selective factor Xa inhibitor, in combination with antiplatelet therapy after acute coronary syndrome: results of the Apixaban for Prevention of Acute Ischemic and Safety Events (APPRAISE) trial. Circulation 2009; 119: 2877–85.
- 42Coadministration of the oral direct thrombin inhibitor dabigatran etexilate and diclofenac has little impact on the pharmacokinetics of either drug [abstract]. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5(S2): abstract P-T-677., , , , .
- 45Drug interactions of oral antithrombin and anti-Xa agents with heparinized and oral anticoagulant treated patients [abstract]. J Thromb Haemost 2009; 7(S2): abstract PP-TH-142., , , , .
- 46Single-dose safety and pharmacokinetics of apixaban in subjects with mild or moderate hepatic impairment. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2009; 85(Suppl. 1): S34., , et al.
- 47Differential augmentation of the anticoagulant responses by newly developed oral anti-Xa and anti-IIa drugs in patients with liver disease [abstract]. FASEB J 2009; 23(Suppl.): abstract LB383., , , , .
- 48Effects of renal impairment on the pharmacology of rivaroxaban (BAY 59-7939) – an oral, direct, factor Xa inhibitor [abstract]. Blood 2006; 108: abstract 913., , et al.
- 51Aspirin Foundation. Homepage. http://www.aspirin-foundation.com/index.html (accessed August 2009).
- 63Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Prevalence of self-reported epilepsy – United States, 1986–1990. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 1994; 43: 810–1; 817–8.
- 64Vitamin and mineral supplement use by children and adolescents in the 1999-2004 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: relationship with nutrition, food security, physical activity, and health care access. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2009; 163: 150–7., , .