Disclosures Graham Jackson is a consultant for Lilly and Pfizer, and a meeting participant for Lilly, Pfizer, and Bayer. Stefan Arver has served as a consultant to Pfizer, Eli Lilly, Bayer, and has lectured in meetings sponsored by these corporations. He has received research grants from Bayer. Ian Banks is president of the European Men’s Health Forum; a consultant/advisor and meeting participant/lecturer for Pfizer, Jansen Cilage, GlaxoSmithKline and Celgene. He is a visiting professor on European Men’s Health at Leeds Metropolitan University in England, a member of the British Medical Association Council and the president of Men’s Health Forum England & Wales. Vera Stecher is employed with Pfizer Inc.
Counterfeit phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors pose significant safety risks
Article first published online: 18 JAN 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
International Journal of Clinical Practice
Volume 64, Issue 4, pages 497–504, March 2010
How to Cite
Jackson, G., Arver, S., Banks, I. and Stecher, V. J. (2010), Counterfeit phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors pose significant safety risks. International Journal of Clinical Practice, 64: 497–504. doi: 10.1111/j.1742-1241.2009.02328.x
Unpublished research (including prescription and survey data and active pharmaceutical ingredient analysis) was sponsored by Pfizer Inc. Editorial support was provided by Tiffany Brake, PhD, and Janet Matsuura, PhD, at Complete Healthcare Communications, Inc., and was funded by Pfizer Inc.
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Creative Commons Deed, Attribution 2.5, which does not permit commercial exploitation.
- Issue published online: 5 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 18 JAN 2010
- Paper received November 2009, accepted December 2009
- 2International Medical Products Anti-Counterfeiting Taskforce (IMPACT). Counterfeit Drugs Kill! World Health Organization, May 2008. Available at: http://www.who.int/impact/FinalBrochureWHA2008a.pdf (accessed January 5, 2010).
- 5Counterfeit medicines – how much of a risk to public health are they? Pharm J 2005; 275: 520..
- 7European Commission Taxation and Customs Union. Summary of community customs activities on counterfeit and piracy: results at the European border – 2006. http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/resources/documents/customs/customs_controls/counterfeit_piracy/statistics/counterf_comm_2006_en.pdf (accessed January 5, 2010).
- 8European Commission Taxation and Customs Union. Report on Community Customs Activities on Counterfeit and Piracy: Results at the European Border – 2007. http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/resources/documents/customs/customs_controls/counterfeit_piracy/statistics2007.pdf (accessed January 5, 2010).
- 9Europa. 2007 customs seizures of counterfeit goods – frequently asked questions, 2008. http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/08/310 (accessed January 5, 2010).
- 10Combating Counterfeit Drugs, Safe and Secure: A Report of the Food and Drug Administration. Report No. 20857. Rockville, MD: US Food and Drug Administration; February 18, 2004.
- 11Combating counterfeit drugs. Lancet 2008; 371: 1551.
- 12Counterfeit drug sales to reach $75 billion by 2010, report says. Heartland Institue. November 2005. http://www.heartland.org/publications/health%20care/article/17948/Counterfeit_Drug_Sales_to_Reach_75_Billion_by_2010_Report_Says.html (accessed January 5, 2010)..
- 13International Medical Products Anti-Counterfeiting Taskforce (IMPACT). Counterfeit medicines: an update on estimates. World Health Organization, 2006. http://www.who.int/medicines/services/counterfeit/impact/TheNewEstimatesCounterfeit.pdf (accessed January 5, 2009).
- 14Cracking counterfeit. 2008. http://www.pfizer.co.uk/Media/Documents/The%20Cracking%20Counterfeit%20report.pdf (January 5, 2009)..
- 16Data on File. New York, NY: Pfizer Inc, 2009.
- 17Risk of medicines: counterfeit drugs. Int J Risk Safety Med 2004; 16: 181–90., .
- 18Analysis of Pharmaceuticals Seized by Authorities for Suspicion of Being Counterfeit Viagra® (Sildenafil Citrate). Lyon, France: European Society for Sexual Medicine, 2009., , , .
- 19Tylenol (acetominophen). Full Prescribing Information, Fort Washington, PA: McNeil Consumer Products, 1996.
- 20Flagyl (metronidazole benzoate). Full Prescribing Information, Macquarie Park, Australia: Sanofi-aventis, 2008.
- 21Counterfeits and imitations of Viagra® and Cialis® tablets: trends and risks to public. 2005. http://www.rivm.nl/bibliotheek/rapporten/267041001.pdf (accessed January 5, 2010)., , et al.
- 22Recent developments in counterfeits and imitations of Viagra, Cialis and Levitra: a 2005–2006 update. 2007. http://www.rivm.nl/bibliotheek/rapporten/370030001.pdf (accessed January 5, 2010)., , , .
- 23Counterfeit drugs and states’ efforts to combat the problem. J Pharm Pract 2006; 19: 165–70..
- 24Hidden risks of erectile dysfunction ‘treatments’ sold online. Rockville, MD: Food and Drug Administration, Consumer Health Information 2008. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/UCM143726.pdf (accessed January 5, 2010).
- 29The illicit sale of medications for the treatment of erectile dysfunction. Medscape Today, 2007. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/566897 (accessed January 5, 2010)., .
- 30European Committee on Crime Problems, Committee of Experts on the Operation of European Conventions in the Penal Field. Opinion on Parliamentary Assembly Recommendation 1673 (2004): Counterfeiting: problems and solutions. March 3, 2006. http://www.coe.int/t/e/legal_affairs/legal_co-operation/transnational_criminal_justice/2_pc-oc/PC-OC%20(2006)%2004%20Rev%20E..asp (accessed January 5, 2010).
- 31Pharmacists can help stop counterfeit drugs. Drug Topics 2004; 148: 31..
- 32European Alliance for Access to Safe Medicines. The counterfeiting superhighway. 2008. http://v35.pixelcms.com/ams/assets/312296678531/455_EAASM_counterfeiting%20report_020608.pdf (accessed January 5, 2010).
- 33The ‘global disaster’ of fake internet pharmacies. 2007. http://www.in-pharmatechnologist.com/Industry-Drivers/The-global-disaster-of-fake-internet-pharmacies (accessed January 5, 2010)..
- 34Consumer Attitudes Toward Counterfeit Medications. 12th Congress of the European Society for Sexual Medicine, November 18–21, Lyon, France, 2009., , .
- 35Assessment, in a General Population of men, of Men’s Interaction With the Healthcare System to Obtain Phosphodiesterase Type 5 Inhibitors. Joint Congress of the European and International Societies for Sexual Medicine, December 7–11, Brussels, Belgium, 2008., , et al.
- 37Characteristics, behaviors, and attitudes of men bypassing the healthcare system when obtaining phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors. J Sex Med 2009; in press., , et al.
- 42Speech presented at: International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers and Associations, May 24, 2006, Geneva, Switzerland. http://www.ifpma.org/pdf/Zucker_Counterfeit_WHO_24May06.pdf (accessed January 5, 2010)..
- 49Counterfeit medicines: a threat to public health and safety. Louvain Med 2007; 126: S138–42..
- 51Be alert to counterfeit drugs sold over the Internet. Pharm Pract 2006; 16: 9–11..
- 52Prescription drug wholesalers: drug distribution and the inspection process (a Florida perspective). J Pharm Pract 2006; 19: 196–214..