Disclosures Michael J Haynes, Karl Vincent, Cyril Fischhoff, Alexandra P Bremner, Olivier Lanlo, Graeme J Hankey have no conflicts of interest regarding this manuscript.
Assessing the risk of stroke from neck manipulation: a systematic review
Article first published online: 19 SEP 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
International Journal of Clinical Practice
Volume 66, Issue 10, pages 940–947, October 2012
How to Cite
Haynes, M. J., Vincent, K., Fischhoff, C., Bremner, A. P., Lanlo, O. and Hankey, G. J. (2012), Assessing the risk of stroke from neck manipulation: a systematic review. International Journal of Clinical Practice, 66: 940–947. doi: 10.1111/j.1742-1241.2012.03004.x
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
- Issue published online: 19 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 19 SEP 2012
- 1Use of prevocational test by clinicians to predict vulnerability of patients to vertebrobasilar insufficiency. Chiror J Aust 1993; 23: 59–63., , .
- 2Review of the Relationship of Chiropractic Services to the Public Health System in Western Australia Community Health Survey Report. Pert, Western Australia: Perth Institute for Social Program Evaluation, Murdoch University, 1990: 75–6., , .
- 6Risk management for chiropractors and osteopaths: neck manipulation and vertebrobasilar stroke. Aust Chiropr Osteopathy 2003; 1: 9–15., , et al.
- 7Stroke following cervical manipulation in Perth. Chiropr J Aust 1994; 24: 42–6..
- 8Complications of spinal manipulation. A comprehensive review of the literature. J Family Pract 1996; 42: 475–80., , .
- 14Malpractice Avoidance for Chiropractors: Vertebrobasilar Complications Following Spinal Manipulation. West Des Moines: National Mutual Chiropractic Insurance Company; 1996:15..
- 24Mild mechanical traumas are possible risk factors for cervical artery dissection. Cerebrovasc. Dis 2006; 23: 275–81., , et al.
- 25Risk of vertebrobasilar stroke and chiropractic care: results of a population based case-control and case-crossover study. Spine 2008; 33(Suppl. 4): 176–83., , et al.
- 29Stroke risk and NSAIDs: an Australian population based study. MJA 2011; 195: 525–9., , , , .
- 32Letter to the editor. Spine 2008; 33: 2838.Re: Cassidy JD, Boyle E, Cote P, He Y, Hogg-43.Johnson S, Silver FL, Bondy SJ. Risk of vertebrobasilar stroke and chiropractic care: results of a population based case–control and case-crossover study. Spine. 2008; 33(Suppl. 4): 176–83..
- 34Epidemiological Methods. Studying the Occurrence of Illness. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003: 409–10., .
- 37A risk assessment of cervical manipulation vs NSAIDs for the treatment of neck pain. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1995; 25: 42–6., .
- 39Epidemiology. Philadelphia: Saunders, 2009: 102..
- 40Doppler studies comparing the effects of cervical rotation and lateral flexion on vertebral artery blood flow. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1996; 19: 378–84..