Campbell MacFarlane, OstJ, HonsBA, BSc(Hons), MBChB, MMed(Surg), PhD, FRCSEd, FRCSEng, FACS, FCS(SA), FACEM(Hon), FFAEM, FCEM(SA), DMCC, FIFEM, FRAeS, FSAScot, Professor; Anthony Lyle Joffe, MBBCh, FCPHM(SA), Specialist Public Health Medicine; Shan Naidoo, MBBCh, DTM&H, DPH, DHSM, DOH, M Med, Chief Specialist Public Health Medicine.
Training of disaster managers at a masters degree level: From emergency care to managerial control
Article first published online: 6 NOV 2006
Emergency Medicine Australasia
Volume 18, Issue 5-6, pages 451–456, October/December 2006
How to Cite
MacFarlane, C., Joffe, A. L. and Naidoo, S. (2006), Training of disaster managers at a masters degree level: From emergency care to managerial control. Emergency Medicine Australasia, 18: 451–456. doi: 10.1111/j.1742-6723.2006.00898.x
Editor’s note: Professor Campbell MacFarlane died suddenly on 7 June 2006, travelling back to South Africa from the 11th International Conference on Emergency Medicine (ICEM) in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Issue published online: 6 NOV 2006
- Article first published online: 6 NOV 2006
- Accepted 1 August
- 1WHO South East Asia. Moving Beyond the Tsunami – The WHO Story. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2005.
- 2APA’s New Orleans Planning Assessment Team. Charting the course for rebuilding a great American city – an assessment of the planning function in post-Katrina New Orleans. American Planning Association (APA), 2005. Available from URL: http://www.planning.org/katrina/pdf/rebuildingreport.pdf[Accessed 3 May 2006].
- 3IRC. Programme update – Somalia. International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, 2005. Available from URL: http://www.ifrc.org/docs/appeals/annual05/05AA00201.pdf[Accessed 3 May 2006].
- 42001. Available from URL: http://www.who.int/disasters/repo/6638.doc[Accessed 2 May 2006].Floods in Mozambique – emergency health report. WHO-EHA,
- 5Office of the United Nations Commissioner for Refugees. The State of the World’s Refugees 2006 – Human Displacement in the New Millennium. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- 6Major Incident Medical Management and Support. London: BMJ Publishing Group, 1995; 3–7.,
- 72006. Available from URL: http://dels.nas.edu/dr/docs/dr16/simpson.pdf[Accessed 4 May 2006].The metrics of hazards or the hazards of metrics: thoughts on the measurement of community preparedness. Centre for Hazards Research and Policy Development, University of Louisville,
- 8United Nations. Report of the International Meeting to Review the Implementation of the Programme of Action for the Sustainable development of Small Island Developing States. New York: United Nations, 2005.
- 9Joint Assessment Team. Tsunami impact and recovery – joint needs assessment. World Bank-Asian Development Bank-United Nations System, 2005. Available from URL: http://www.un.int/maldives/TsunamiImpactandRecovery.pdf[Accessed 27 April 2006].
- 10UNDP Somalia. Quarterly update (January 2005) – the tsunami in Somalia. United Nations Development Programme, 2005. Available from URL: http://www.so.undp.org[Accessed 3 May 2006].
- 11IRC. Annual report 2004. International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, 2004. Available from URL: http://www.ifrc.org/publicat/ar/ar2004/chapter1/africa.asp[Accessed 27 April 2006].
- 12Oxfam. Current emergencies 2006. Oxfam Great Britain, 2006. Available from URL: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/[Accessed 27 April 2006].
- 13University of the Witwatersrand. Faculty of Health Sciences – Rules and Syllabuses 2006. Johannesburg: University of Witwatersrand, 2006.
- 14SAQA. NQF – an overview. South African Qualifications Authority, 2006. Available from URL: http://www.saqa.org.za[Accessed 27 April 2006].
- 15IRC. World Disaster Report 2004 – Focus on Community Resilience. Geneva: International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, 2004.
- 16Order in Chaos. Culemborg: LiberChem Publication Solutions, 2003.,
- 171998. Available from URL: http://www.info.gov.za/speeches/1998/98929_0w4619811162.htm[Accessed 5 May 2006].Statement of Deputy President Thabo Mbeki at the ‘African Renaissance Conference’. Johannesburg, 28 September 1998, Office of the Deputy President,