Kylie Wilson, MN, CCC, BN, Emergency Nurse Practitioner; Peter Cameron, MB BS, MD, FACEM, Director of Research Emergency and Trauma Centre; Natasha Jennings, MN, Grad Dip Adv Clin Nurs, CCC, BN, Emergency Nurse Practitioner.
Emergency nurse practitioners: An underestimated addition to the emergency care team
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2009
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Australasian College for Emergency Medicine and Australasian Society for Emergency Medicine
Emergency Medicine Australasia
Volume 20, Issue 6, pages 453–455, December 2008
How to Cite
Wilson, K., Cameron, P. and Jennings, N. (2008), Emergency nurse practitioners: An underestimated addition to the emergency care team. Emergency Medicine Australasia, 20: 453–455. doi: 10.1111/j.1742-6723.2008.01128.x
- Issue online: 1 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2009
- 2Association of access block with decreased performance. Acad. Emerg. Med. 2001; 8: 575–6.
- 3Australian Medical Association. AMA Submission to the National Health and Hospitals Reform Commission. Available from URL: http://www.ama.com.au/web.nsf/doc/WEEN-7FV7J6/$file/AMA_Submission_to_the_NHHRC_June_2008.pdf[Accessed July 2008], pp. 20–21.
- 4Australian Medical Association. AMA Position Statement: Health Workforce Reform. Available from URL: http://www.ama.com.au/web.nsf/doc/WEEN-7FY4FZ[Accessed July 2008].
- 5Issues in nurse practitioner developments in Australia. Cancer Forum 2004; 28: 132–4.
- 6Department of Human Services Victoria. The Victorian Nurse Practitioner Project: Final Report of the Taskforce. Melbourne: Policy Development and Planning, 1999.
- 7Department of Human Services Victoria. Victorian Nurse Practitioner Project: Report of the Nurse Practitioner Implementation Advisory Committee. Policy and Strategic Projects Division, Victorian Government of Human Services. Available from URL: http://www.nursing.vic.gov.au/furthering/practitioner.htm[Accessed August 2008].
- 8http://www.aph.gov.au/Library/pubs/rp/2007-08/08rp10.pdf[Accessed August 2008].Practice Nursing in Australia. Social Policy Section, Parliament of Australia; Department of Parliamentary Services Research Paper. 17 September 2007, no. 10, 2007–2008. Available from URL:
- 10Nurse practitioner candidates: shifting professional boundaries. Australas. Emerg. Nurs. J. 2007; 11: 20–27.
- 11Department of Human Services Victoria. Statewide Emergency Program; Statewide Elective Surgery Program. Business Rules 2005–2006. Available from URL: http://www.health.vic.gov.au/hospital-performance/busrule06.pdf[Accessed August 2008].
- 12Victorian Government Health Information. Your hospitals. An overview of public hospital activity. Emergency care performance data, The Alfred Hospital. Available from URL: http://serviceforip.webcentral.com.au/yourhospitals/edresults.asp?hospital=1010&Submit=Show+Data[Accessed September 2008].
- 19A comparative study of patients who did not wait for treatment and those treated by Emergency Nurse Practitioners. Australas. Emerg. Nurs. J. 2006; 9: 149–94.,
- 21http://www.consultmagazine.net/StoryView.asp?StoryID=194048[Accessed August 2008].Thursday, 20 March, 2008. ED team players. Consult Magazine. Available from URL: