Effectiveness of a condom use educational program developed on the basis of the Information–Motivation–Behavioral Skills model
Article first published online: 30 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Author. Japan Journal of Nursing Science © 2012 Japan Academy of Nursing Science
Japan Journal of Nursing Science
Volume 10, Issue 1, pages 24–40, June 2013
How to Cite
KUDO, Y. (2013), Effectiveness of a condom use educational program developed on the basis of the Information–Motivation–Behavioral Skills model. Japan Journal of Nursing Science, 10: 24–40. doi: 10.1111/j.1742-7924.2012.00207.x
- Issue published online: 5 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 30 MAR 2012
- Received 25 April 2011; accepted 22 December 2011.
- AIDS Trend Committee of the Japan Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2011). Annual report of AIDS incidence trend 2010. [Cited 24 Jun 2011.] Available from URL: http://api-net.jfap.or.jp/status/2010/10nenpo/nenpo_menu.htm (in Japanese).
- Behavioral Science Research Group of the HIV Epidemiological Survey Team of the Japan Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2001a). HIV & Sex in Japan survey: Comparison of gender and age in knowledge related to HIV/STD, sexual awareness and behavior. The Educational Survey Yearbook vol.1 (pp. 94–105), Tokyo: Creative & Education Corporation (in Japanese).
- Behavioral Science Research Group of the HIV Epidemiological Survey Team of the Japan Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2001b). Sexual Health Study in students of the national universities: The knowledge related to HIV/STD and sexual awareness. The Educational Survey Yearbook vol.1 (pp. 105–112), Tokyo: Creative & Education Corporation (in Japanese).
- 1992). Changing AIDS-risk behavior. Psychological Bulletin, 111, 455–474. & (
- 2000). Theoretical approaches to individual-level change in HIV behavior. In: J. L. Peterson & R. J. DiClemente (Eds), Handbook of HIV prevention (pp. 3–55). New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers. & (
- 1993). A general social psychological model for changing AIDS risk behavior. In: J. B. Pryor & G. D. Reeder (Eds), The social psychology of HIV infection (pp. 127–153). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. & (
- 2005). A study on the contraceptive use of college students: During sexual intercourse with their latest sexual partner. Japanese Journal of Maternal Health, 46, 143–153 (in Japanese). & (
- 2002). Psychological factors in sexually transmitted diseases. In: D. Miller & J. Green (Eds), The psychology of sexual health (pp. 21–37). Oxford: Blackwell Science. (
- Healthy Parents and Children 21 Study and Evaluation Committee. (2010). The second report for the healthy parents and children 21 . The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (in Japanese).
- 2003). Sexual behaviors and problems of adolescents. In: M. C. Roberts (Ed.), Handbook of pediatric psychology (3rd edn, pp. 664–679). New York: Guilford Press. , & (
- 2004). Prevalence and risk factors of asymptomatic chlamydial infection among students in Japan. International Journal of STD & AIDS, 15, 408–414. , , , , & (
- 2001). Effects of a brief, theory-based STD-prevention program for female college students. Journal of Adolescent Health, 29, 417–425. & (
- 2005). HIV/STD risk reduction interventions for African American and Latino adolescent girls at an adolescent medical clinic. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 159, 440–449. , , & (
- 1992). Reductions in HIV risk-associated sexual behaviors among black male adolescents: Effects of an AIDS prevention intervention. American Journal of Public Health, 82, 372–377. , & (
- 1998). Abstinence and safer sex HIV risk-reduction interventions for African adolescents. Journal of the American Medical Association, 279, 529–536. , & (
- 1999). Reducing HIV risk-associated sexual behavior among African American adolescents: Testing the generality of intervention effects. American Journal of Community Psychology, 27, 161–187. , , & (
- 2003). Interventions to reduce sexual risk for the human immunodeficiency virus in adolescents, 1985–2000. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 157, 381–388. , , , & (
- 2002). Sexual network and prevalence of STD/HIV. The Journal of Therapy, 84, 1903–1908 (in Japanese). & (
- 1997). Effectiveness of the 40 adolescent AIDS-risk reduction interventions: A quantitative review. Journal of Adolescent Health, 20, 204–215. , , , & (
- 1993). An evaluation of an AIDS risk reduction education and skills training (ARREST) program. Journal of Adolescent Health, 14, 533–539. , & (
- 2000). School-based interventions to prevent unprotected sex and HIV among adolescents. In: J. L. Peterson & R. J. DiClemente (Eds), Handbook of HIV prevention (pp. 83–101). New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers. (
- 2005). Study of sexual awareness and behavior among adolescents in Japan: First report/fundamental results of sexual awareness and behavior among university students in Japan. Japanese Journal of Maternal Health, 46, 170–178 (in Japanese). & (
- 2000). Heterosexual relationship characteristics, condom use and safe sex practices. AIDS Care, 12, 767–782. , & (
- 2009). Development of an education program for condom use administered by a nurse based on an HIV infection prevention model. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Hyogo, Japan. (in Japanese). (
- 2007). Best-evidence interventions: Findings from a systematic review of HIV behavioral interventions for US populations at high risk, 2000–2004. American Journal of Public Health, 97, 133–143. , , , , , et al. (
- 2003). HIV/AIDS, adolescence. In: T. Gullotta & M. Bloom (Eds), The encyclopedia of prevention and health promotion (pp. 541–549). New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers. , & (
- Mothers' & Children's Health & Welfare Association. (2011). Maternal and child health statistics of Japan. Tokyo: Mother' & Children's Health Organization.
- 2010). A brief culturally tailored intervention for Puerto Ricans with type 2 diabetes. Health Education & Behavior, 37, 849–862. , , , , , et al. (
- 2010). Validation of an information-motivation-behavioral skills model of diabetes self-care (IMB-DSC). Patient Education & Counseling, 79, 49–54. & (
- 2004). Developmentally appropriate sexual risk interventions for adolescents: Rationale, review of interventions, and recommendations for research and practice. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 27, 172–184. & (
- 1998). A brief HIV intervention for adolescents and young adults. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 68, 553–564. , , & (
- 2006). Adherence to antiretroviral therapy: an empirical test of the information-motivation-behavioral skills model. Health Psychology, 25, 153–162. , , & (
- 2010). The effectiveness of the information-motivation-behavioral skills model in promoting adherence in CABG patients. Journal of Health Psychology, 15, 828–837. , , & (