Ethical issues in practice: A survey of home-visiting nurses in Japan
Version of Record online: 3 JUN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Japan Journal of Nursing Science © 2012 Japan Academy of Nursing Science
Japan Journal of Nursing Science
Volume 10, Issue 1, pages 98–108, June 2013
How to Cite
ASAHARA, K., ONO, W., KOBAYASHI, M., OMORI, J., MOMOSE, Y., TODOME, H. and KONISHI, E. (2013), Ethical issues in practice: A survey of home-visiting nurses in Japan. Japan Journal of Nursing Science, 10: 98–108. doi: 10.1111/j.1742-7924.2012.00216.x
- Issue online: 5 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 3 JUN 2012
- Received 7 October 2011; accepted 19 April 2012.
- 2003). Visiting nurses' perceptions about issues related to impaired senior citizens' decision-making towards the utilization of services provided through long-term care insurance. Journal of Japan Academy of Community Health Nursing, 5, 90–94 (in Japanese). , & (
- 2011). Report of grants-in–aid for scientific research (2007-2011 fiscal year) on a study on development and evaluation of systematic ethics education ladder in community nursing. 1–52, Tokyo: Author (in Japanese). , , , , , , et al. (
- 2005). Nurse moral distress and ethical work environment. Nursing Ethics, 12, 381–390. , , & (
- 2004). Expanding nurses' participation in ethics: An empirical examination of ethical activism and ethical assertiveness. Nursing Ethics, 11, 15–27. , , , & (
- 1997). Ethics in public health practice: A survey of nurses in Southern Louisiana. Public Health Nursing, 14, 156–160. , , & (
- 2008). International council of nurses ethics in nursing practice a guide to ethical decision making (3rd edn). Oxford: Blackwell Publishing. & (
- 2006). The teaching of nursing ethics: Content and method. Promoting ethical competence. In: A. J. Davis, V. Tschudin & L. Raeve (Eds), Essentials of teaching and learning in nursing ethics perspectives and methods (pp. 223–239). Philadelphia, PA: Churchill Livingstone. (
- 2005). Critical care nurses' perceptions of and responses to moral distress. Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing, 24, 229–241. (
- 2005). Hospital ethical climates and registered nurses' turnover intentions. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 37, 173–177. (
- Health and Welfare Statistics Association. (2010). Annual statistical report of national health conditions 2010/2011. Journal of Health and Welfare Statistics, 57, 37–39 (in Japanese).
- 2002). Beyond the boundary between science and values: Re-evaluating the moral dimension of the nurse's role in cot death prevention. Nursing Ethics, 9, 137–154. & (
- Japan Visiting Nursing Foundation. (2009). Survey of visiting nursing stations on employment and retention of staying for new graduates and newly employed nurses. Tokyo: Japan Visiting Nursing Foundation (in Japanese).
- Japanese Nursing Association. (2003). Code of ethics for nurses. [Cited 10 Jun 2011.] Available from URL: http://www.nurse.or.jp/nursing/practice/rinri/pdf/rinri.pdf (in Japanese).
- 2010). Nursing ethics studies in Japan: A review over the last five years. Journal of Japanese Nursing Ethics, 2, 77–86 (in Japanese). , , , & (
- 2001). The right-to-die and the duty-to-die: Perception of nurses in the West and in Japan. International Nursing Review, 48, 9–16. , & (
- 2011). A study on experiences that support visiting nursing professionalism: Based on an interview with an expert home visiting nurse. Bulletin of the University of Shimane Junior College Izumo Campus, 5, 111–122 (in Japanese). & (
- 2000). What to do when the end is near: Ethical issues in home health care nursing. Public Health Nursing, 17, 103–110. , & (
- 2002). Organizational ethics in Finnish intensive care units: Staff perceptions. Nursing Ethics, 9, 126–136. , , , & (
- 1997). Development and psychometric properties of the ethics environment questionnaire. Medical Care, 35, 901–914. (
- 1998). Enhancing nurses' ethical practice: Development of a clinical ethics program. Nursing Clinics of North America, 33, 299–311. (
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. (2004). A framework of achievement levels of nursing competencies required for bachelor course students graduating from college or universities. [Cited 10 Jun 2011.] Available from URL: http://www.mext.go.jp/b_menu/shingi/chousa/koutou/018-15/toushin/04032601.htm (in Japanese).
- Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. (2009). The survey of institutions and establishments for long-term care. [Cited 17 Jun 2011.] Available from URL: http://www.mhlw.go.jp/toukei/list/24-19-2.html (in Japanese).
- Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. (2011). The survey of institutions and establishments for long-term care. [Cited 17 Jun 2011.] Available from URL: http://www.mhlw.go.jp/toukei/saikin/hw/kaigo/service09/index.html (in Japanese).
- 2009). The characteristics of ethical problems experienced by ward nurses in nursing practice, their experiences and responses to these problems, and the associated underlying factors. Journal of the Japan Association for Bioethics, 19, 87–97 (in Japanese). (
- 2010). Issues in evaluating ethics education for nurses and their competency in matters involving ethical judgment and behavior: Based upon quantitative surveying of the actual state of clinical nurse's ethics education and moral sensitivity. Journal of the Japan Association for Bioethics, 20, 129–139 (in Japanese). (
- 1989). Moral reasoning in college students: Implications for nursing education. Journal of Nursing Education, 28, 107–111. & (
- 2010). Developing a professional identity scale: Identifying factors related to professional identity of government-employed public health nurses. Japanese Journal of Public Health, 57, 27–38 (in Japanese). , , & (
- 2007). Nursing students' ethical decision-making: A review of the literature. Nurse Education Today, 27, 796–807. & (
- 2000). Ethical issues in public health nursing. Nursing Ethics, 7, 245–248. & (
- 1999). Elderly Japanese people living in small towns reflect on end-of-life issues. Nursing Ethics, 6, 308–315. , , & (
- 1998). Hospital nurses' perception of the ethical climate of their work setting. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 30, 345–349. (
- 2008). Nurses as guests or professionals in home health care. Nursing Ethics, 15, 371–383. , , , & (
- 2009). Registered nurses' perceptions of moral distress and ethical climate. Nursing Ethics, 16, 561–573. , , & (
- 2011). Early indicators and risk factors for ethical issues in clinical practice. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 43, 13–21. , , , & (
- 2009). Nurses' moral sensitivity and hospital ethical climate: A literature review. Nursing Ethics, 15, 304–321. , , & (
- 2002). Ethical issues in home-care nursing. The Journal of Tokyo Academy of Health Sciences, 5, 144–151 (in Japanese). , , , , , et al. (
- The International Council of Nurses. (2006). The ICN code of ethics for nurses. [Cited 10 Jun 2011.] Available from URL: http://www.icn.ch/images/stories/documents/about/icncode_english.pdf
- 1996). Ethical dilemma experienced by hospital and community nurses: An Israeli survey. Nursing Ethics, 3, 294–304. & (