Author's Note: I acknowledge the support for this research the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, DC, a SSRC-ESRC fellowship to collaborate with Fiona Adamson, and the Dickey Center for International Understanding at Dartmouth College. I thank many diaspora activists who remain anonymous. Beitullah Destani, Christianne Wohlforth, Daut Dauti, Deborah West, James Pettiffer, Jennifer Erickson, Miranda Vickers, Susan Lynch, participants in the 2009 LSE Workshop “Diasporas and Activism in Europe,” and at the annual APSA meeting in 2011, as well as two anonymous reviewers who provided helpful comments or contacts for this research.
Four Types of Diaspora Mobilization: Albanian Diaspora Activism For Kosovo Independence in the US and the UK
Article first published online: 12 JUL 2012
© 2012 International Studies Association
Foreign Policy Analysis
Volume 9, Issue 4, pages 433–453, October 2013
How to Cite
Koinova, Maria. (2012) Four Types of Diaspora Mobilization: Albanian Diaspora Activism For Kosovo Independence in the US and the UK. Foreign Policy Analysis, doi: 10.1111/j.1743-8594.2012.00194.x
1Current affiliation: University of Warwick
- Issue published online: 3 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 12 JUL 2012
- A1. (2002) Senior Foreign Policy Advisor to the Kosovo Exiled Government, author's interviews, October 8 and 9, Prishtina, Kosovo.
- A2. (2002) Source close to UNMIK, author's interview, October 3, Prishtina, Kosovo.
- A3. (2009) Media activist, author's interview, July 14, London.
- A4. (2009) Former student activist, author's interview, August 21, London.
- A5. (2009) Source close to the KIC, author's interview, July 14, London.
- A6. (2009) Diaspora activist, author's interview, August 19, London.
- A7. (2006) Source close to NAAC, author's interview, August 3, Washington, DC.
- A8. (2006 and 2007) Official close to the US government, author's interviews, August 2, 2006 and July 17, 2007, Washington, DC.
- A9. (2009 and 2010) Diaspora activist, author's interviews, August 21, 2009, and May 7, 2010, London.
- A10. (2009). Diaspora activist, author's interview, July 14, London.
- A11 (2009). Diaspora activist, author's interview, July 16, London.
- 2002) Mobilizing for the Transformation of Home.” In New Approaches to Migration, edited by Nadje Al-Ali , and Khalid Koser . London: Routledge. . (
- 2006) Crossing Borders, International Migration and National Security. International Security 31 (1): 165–199. . (
- 2009) Diaspora Mobilization and Violent Conflict. Paper presented at the Explaining Diaspora Politics workshop, SOAS, London, October 30–31. . (
- 2007) Remapping the Boundaries of “State” and “National Identity.” European Journal of International Relations 13 (4): 489–526. , and . (
- Albanews Archives. (2007) Atlantic Battalion. July 17. Available at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgibin/wa?A2=ind0707d&L=albanews&P=2103 (Accessed in August 2008).
- 2002) Ethnic Identity Groups and U.S. Foreign Policy. Westport: Praeger. , Ed. (
- 2001) Silence and Voice in the Study of Contentious Politics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , , , , , , and . (
- Amnesty International (AI) (1998) Kosovo: The Evidence. London: AI.
- 1998) The Spectre of Comparisons. London: Verso. . (
- Atlantic Battalion. (2007) Albanews. July 17. Available at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0707d&L=albanews&P=2103. (Accessed on August 25, 2007.)
- 1994) Nations Unbound. Langhorne, PA: Gordon and Beach. , , and . (
- 2007) A Neglected Relationship: Diasporas and Conflict Resolution. In Diasporas in Conflict, edited by Hazel Smith and Paul Stares . Tokyo: United Nations University Press. . (
- 2005) Marketing of Rebellion. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. . (
- 2010) Revenge and Reprisal Violence in Kosovo. Conflict, Security, and Development 10 (2): 189–216. . (
- 2009) Digital Diasporas. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. . (
- 2002) Former Prime Minister, Kosovo Exiled Government, author's interview, October 7, Prishtina, Kosovo. . (
- 2001) Trends for Outside Support in Insurgent Movements. Santa Monica: RAND. et al. (
- Centre for Defense Studies. (CDS) (2002) Understanding the Albanian Diaspora, Kings College, London, Occasional Paper, July 11.
- 2007) Civil Society beyond the State. Global Media Journal 2 (2): 19–29. . (
- 2000) Greed and Grievances in Civil War. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 2355. , and . (
- 2009) Tony's War? International Affairs. 85 (3): 547–560. . (
- 2009) Advisor to IOM and the Kosovo Government, author's interview, August 20, London. . (
- 1987) U.S. Foreign Policy and the Mexican-American Political Agenda. In Ethnic Groups in U.S. Foreign Policy, edited by Mohammed E. Ahrari . New York: Greenwood Press. . (
- 2009) Advisor to the Kosovo Embassy in the UK, author's interview, July 6, London. . (
- 2005) Diaspora Involvement in Insurgencies. Nationalism and Ethnic Politics 11 (1): 125–156. . (
- 2000) Transnationalization in International Migration. Ethnic and Racial Studies 23 (2): 189–222. . (
- Free Republic. (2007) Pacoli is Paying 60 Lobbyists in Washington. July 19. Available at http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1868428/posts (Accessed on June 29, 2012.).
- 2004) Case Studies and Theory Development in the Social Sciences. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. , and . (
- 2004) What is a Case Study and What Is It Good For? American Political Science Review 98 (2): 341–354. . (
- 1999) The Role of Ethnic Interest Groups in US Foreign Policy. International Studies Quarterly 43 (2): 341–361. , and . (
- 2003) Homeland Calling. Ithaca: Cornell University Press. . (
- 2007) The Radicalization of Diasporas and Terrorism. Santa Monica: RAND and Zurich: ETH. et al. (
- 1981) Ethnic Consciousness and American Foreign Policy. In Ethnicity and U.S. Foreign Policy, 2nd edition, edited by Abdul Aziz Said . New York: Praeger. . (
- Human Rights Watch (HRW). (1993) Open Wounds. New York: HRW/Helsinki.
- International Helsinki Federation (IHF). (1998) Annual Report. Vienna: IHF.
- International Organization for Migration (IOM). (2008) Mapping Exercise Albania, Occasional Paper, London, September.
- 1999) Immigration and the Nation-state. Oxford: Oxford University Press. . (
- 2010) On the Atlantic Battalion. Available at http://www.wilddingopress.com.au/Media/Craig-Jurisevic-on-the-Atlantic-Battalion. (Accessed on June 29, 2012.) . (
- 2001) New and Old Wars. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press. . (
- 2005) The Brooklyn Connection, Documentary, US Premiere on July 19. . (
- 2003) Education, Gender and Religion, Identity Transformations among Kosovo Albanians in London. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 29 (6): 1079–1096. . (
- 2005) International Migration and the Globalization of Domestic Politics. London: Routledge. , Ed. (
- 2004) Governance Failures and Alternatives to Sovereignty. Working Paper No 1 CDDRL, Stanford, CA, November 2, 2004. Available at http://fsi.stanford.edu/publications/governance_failures_and_alternatives_to_sovereignty/ http://cddrl.stanford.edu. (Accessed on June 29, 2012.). . (
- 2006) Diasporas and Homeland Conflict. In Territoriality and Conflict in an Era of Globalization, edited by Miles Kahler , and Barbara Walter . Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. . (
- 2010) Think Locally, Act Globally: Toward a Transnational Comparative Politics. International Political Sociology 4: 124–141. , and . (
- 2001) Dynamics of Contention. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , , and . (
- 2007) The Israel Lobby and Foreign Policy. New York: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux. , and . (
- 2005) Multicultural Politics. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press. . (
- 2002) Ethnic Minorities and Foreign Policy. SAIS Review, 22 (2): 77–92. . (
- Nagalim News. (2007) PNSD Marks International Human Rights Day, December 10. Available at http://www.nagalim.nl/news/00000829.htm (Accessed June 29, 2012.)
- 2003) The Politics of Migrants' Transnational Political Practices. International Migration Review 37 (3): 760–786. . (
- 2008) Kosovo Liberation Army. Urbana: University of Illinois Press. . (
- 2002) Understanding Ethnic Violence. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. . (
- 2005) Kosova Express. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press. . (
- 2007) The Ahtisaari Report:Totem and Taboo. Conflict Studies Research Centre Balkans Series 07/08. Swindon, UK: Defense Academy of the United Kingdom. . (
- 2008) Ethnic Minority Interest group Attributes and US Foreign Policy Influence. Foreign Policy Analysis 4 (2): 169–185. . (
- 2003) Security and the Political Economy of International Migration. American Political Science Review 97: 603–620. . (
- 1997) Explaining the International Relations of Secessionist Conflicts. International Organization 51 (4): 721–753. . (
- 2002) Identity, African-Americans and U.S. Foreign Policy: Differing Reactions to South African Apartheid and the Rwandan Genocide. In Ethnic Identity Groups and U.S. Foreign Policy, edited by Thomas Ambrosio . Westport: Praeger. , and . (
- 2008) Case Selection Techniques. Political Research Quarterly 61 (2): 294–308. , and . (
- 1999) Marketing the American Creed Abroad. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. . (
- 2002) The Role of Diasporas in Conflict Perpetuation and Resolution. SAIS Review 22 (2): 115–44. . (
- 2003) Diaspora Politics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. . (
- 2010) Analytic Eclecticism in the Study of World Politics. Perspectives on Politics 8 (2): 411–431. , and . (
- 2000) Foreign Attachments: The Power of Ethnic Groups in the Making of American Foreign Policy. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. . (
- 2007) Diasporas in Conflict. Tokyo: United Nations University Press. , and , eds. (
- 2004) Be Not Afraid for You Have Sons in America. New York: St. Martin Press. . (
- 2005) The New Transnational Activism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. . (
- 2002) Former KLA Commander-in-Chief, author's interview, October 8, Prishtina, Kosovo. . (
- 2007) Endgame in Kosovo, Prospect, May 26. Available at http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/2007/05/endgameinkosovo/. (Accessed on June 29, 2012.) . (
- 1978) Foreign Policy Interest Groups, Mass Public Opinion and the Arab-Israeli Dispute, Western Political Quarterly 31 (2): 238–252. . (
- US Census Bureau. (2004) Ancestry: 2000. Available at http://www.census.gov/prod/2004pubs/c2kbr-35.pdf. (Accessed June 27, 2012.)
- US State Department. (1999) Ethnic Cleansing in Kosovo. Available at http://www.state.gov/www/global/human_rights/kosovoii/homepage.html
- 1998) All in the Family? Interest Groups and Foreign Policy. In Interest Group Politics, edited by Allan J. Cigler , and Burdett A. Loomis . Washington, DC: CQ Press. (
- 2009) Exiles and the Marketing of US Foreign Policy towards Cuba and Iraq. Foreign Policy Analysis 5: 287–306. . (
- 2010) The Multiculturalism Backlash. London: Routledge. , and , eds. (
- 2000) Blair's Kosovo Campaign. Civil Wars 3 (1): 55–70. . (
- 1984) Ethnic Groups, Congress, and American Foreign Policy: The Politics of the Turkish Arms Embargo. Westport: Greenwood Press. . (
- 2004) Ethnonationalist Networks and Transnational Opportunities. Review of International Studies 30 (3): 405–426. . (
- 2004) Kosovo Smolders after Mob Violence. New York Times, March 24. Available at http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/24/world/kosovo-smolders-after-mob-violence.html (Accessed on June 29, 2012.) . (
- 2007) Famous Albanians. Available at http://www.zeriyt.com/albania-today/famous-albanians-t36101.105.html. (Accessed June 27, 2012.) . (
- Zeri Weekly. (2000) A Strong Man on the Side of Kosova. Interview with Former Congressman Joe DioGuardi (Prishtina, Kosovo, 25 October). Available at http://www.aacl.com/Diaspora.html. (Accessed November 2009.)