Recognition of the health assistant as a delegated clinical role and their inclusion in models of care: a systematic review and meta-synthesis of qualitative evidence
Article first published online: 1 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare © 2013 The Joanna Briggs Institute
International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare
Volume 11, Issue 1, pages 3–19, March 2013
How to Cite
Munn, Z., Tufanaru, C. and Aromataris, E. (2013), Recognition of the health assistant as a delegated clinical role and their inclusion in models of care: a systematic review and meta-synthesis of qualitative evidence. International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare, 11: 3–19. doi: 10.1111/j.1744-1609.2012.00304.x
- Issue published online: 1 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 1 MAR 2013
- 2Expanding the role of nonclinical personnel in the OR. AORN Journal 2010; 91: 753–761., , .
- 3Chief Health Professions Office. Discussion Paper: Allied Health Assistants, Assistants in Allied Health and Health Science Workforce Project. Perth, WA: Department of Health, 2008.
- 4Australian Physiotherapy Council. Guidelines for Physiotherapists Working with Assistants in Physiotherapy Practices/Services. Canberra: Australian Physiotherapy Council, 2007.
- 5Issues involved in delegation to assistants. Physiotherapy (London) 1997; 83: 141–147..
- 6Managing delegation to physiotherapy assistants: application of a functional analysis model. Physiotherapy (London) 1996; 82: 246–252..
- 7Developing a nursing assistant model: having the right person perform the right job. Medsurg Nurs 2001; 10: 255–263., , .
- 9A training programme for healthcare support workers. Nurs Stand 2004; 18: 33–37., , , , .
- 11Allied health assistants and what they do: a systematic review of the literature. J Multidisipl Healthc 2010; 3: 143–153., , , .
- 12NT Research. The factors that affect HCA routes into nurse training. Nurs Times 2006; 102: 32–36.,
- 13Chief Health Professions Office. Focus Group and Submission Response Report 2009: Assistants in Allied Health and Health Science Workforce Project. Perth, WA: Department of Health, 2009.
- 16Shaking our foundations: in the future … the relationship between occupational therapists and their helpers … part 2. Br J Occup Ther 1991; 54: 53–56..
- 18Meeting the education and training needs of rehabilitation support workers … including commentary by Hasson F, and Spilsbury K. International Journal of Therapy & Rehabilitation 2005; 12: 195–199., .
- 19Collaboration Between Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistants: fostering the Development of the Preferred Relationship Within a Classroom Setting. Journal of Physical Therapy Education 2006; 20: 3–13., , et al.
- 20The partnering model: occupational therapy assistant and occupational therapy students working together. Occupational Therapy in Health Care 2001; 15: 193–208..
- 23Strategies for resolution of intraprofessional conflict related to the role of the certified occupational therapy assistant. Occupational Therapy in Health Care 1988; 5: 159–168..
- 24Evaluation of the role of the rehabilitation assistant. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation 2004; 11: 311–317., , .
- 26Clinical Education and Training for Health Assistants: A Systematic Review to Support an External Evaluation of Clinical Education and Training for Allied Health Assistants. Brisbane: Clinical Education and Training Queensland (ClinEdQ), Queensland Health Brisbane, 2011., , , .
- 27Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing among Five Approaches, 2nd edn. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc, 2007..
- 28Establishing rigour in qualitative radiography research. Radiography 2010; 16: 62–67., .
- 32The Joanna Briggs Institute. Joanna Briggs Institute Reviewers' Manual: 2008 Edition. Adelaide, SA: The Joanna Briggs Institute, 2008.
- 33The patient experience of high technology medical imaging: a systematic review of the qualitative evidence. Radiography 2011; 17: 323–331., .
- 34The effectiveness and appropriateness of a pallaitive approach to care for people with advanced dementia: a systematic review. JBI Library of Systematic Reviews 2011; 9: 960–1131., , et al.
- 37The Joanna Briggs Institute. Joanna Briggs Institute Reviewers' Manual: 2011 Edition. Adelaide, SA: The Joanna Briggs Institute, 2011.
- 38A national vocational qualification in the operating theatre: participants' perspectives on its effects on staff relationships. J Vocat Educ Training 2002; 54: 477–496..
- 39Intraprofessional fieldwork education: occupational therapy and occupational therapist assistant students learning together. Can J Occup Ther 2008; 75: 42–50., , .
- 41Collaborative fieldwork education with student occupational therapists and student occupational therapist assistants. Can J Occup Ther 2002; 69: 95–103., , , , .
- 44The role and accountability of senior health care support workers in intensive care units. Intensive Crit Care Nurs 2004; 20: 123–132., , , .
- 46Joanna Briggs Institute Reviewers' Manual: 2008 Edition. Adelaide, SA: The Joanna Briggs Institute, 2008..
- 49The use of unlicensed personnel: their impact upon professional nurses, patients and the management of nursing services. Nursing Monograph 2006; 4–8..
- 50The foundation degree: an education framework for rehabilitation assistants? … including commentary by Long AF, Kneafsey R, Stewart SR, and Salvatori P. International Journal of Therapy & Rehabilitation 2003; 10: 504–510., .
- 51An essential care course for healthcare assistants. Nurs Stand 2003; 17: 33–35., .
- 52Urgent need for formal HCA training structure, says Carter. Nurs Stand 2007; 22: 7..