Dr. Barry Stimmel is Ombudsperson and Dean Emeritus for Medical Education at Mount Sinai School of Medicine. He also serves as Katherine and Clifford Goldsmith Professor of Medicine (Cardiology) and Professor of Medical Education. A practicing internist and cardiologist, he established the Narcotics Rehabilitation Center (NRC) at The Mount Sinai Medical Center in 1970. The NRC was the first program in New York City to use methadone solely in an ambulatory care setting. Treating over 10,000 heroin users, the NRC served as a model multidisciplinary treatment program for the State of New York. Nationally and internationally known for his treatment and study of heroin dependency, he has served on the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy Committee of Physicians for National Drug Control Strategy. He edits the Journal of Addictive Diseases and has written over 140 articles and 8 books dealing with drug abuse, the effects of mood-altering drugs on the heart, and pain control. In addition, he lectures extensively on issues in medical education, pain management, and substance abuse.
FROM ADDICTION TO ABSTINENCE: MAXIMIZING THE CHANCES OF SUCCESS
Version of Record online: 13 MAR 2009
© 2009 Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
Family Court Review
Volume 47, Issue 2, pages 265–273, April 2009
How to Cite
Stimmel, B. (2009), FROM ADDICTION TO ABSTINENCE: MAXIMIZING THE CHANCES OF SUCCESS. Family Court Review, 47: 265–273. doi: 10.1111/j.1744-1617.2009.01253.x
- Issue online: 13 MAR 2009
- Version of Record online: 13 MAR 2009
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!