Informal Role Expansion in Australian Mental Health Nursing
Article first published online: 4 JAN 2009
© 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc
Perspectives in Psychiatric Care
Volume 45, Issue 1, pages 45–53, January 2009
How to Cite
Elsom, S., Happell, B. and Manias, E. (2009), Informal Role Expansion in Australian Mental Health Nursing. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care, 45: 45–53. doi: 10.1111/j.1744-6163.2009.00199.x
- Issue published online: 4 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 4 JAN 2009
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. (2005). Mental health services in Australia 2002–03 (Mental Health Series no. 6). Canberra, ACT: Author.
- 2001). The impact of nurse prescribing on professional roles and future practice. Primary Health Care, 11(6), 24. (
- 2000). History and evolution of advanced nursing practice. In A. B.Hamric, J. A.Spross, & C. M.Hanson (Eds.), Advanced nursing practice: An integrative approach (2nd ed., pp. 3–32). Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders. , & (
- 2007). The active participants in mental health services. In G.Meadows, B.Singh, & M.Grigg (Eds.), Mental health in Australia (2nd ed., pp. 190–226). Melbourne, Vic.: Oxford University Press. , , , , , , et al . (
- 2000). Scoping practice issues in the Australian mental health nursing workforce. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Mental Health Nursing, 9(3), 100–109. , & (
- 2005). A historical review of the nurse practitioner role in Australia. Clinical Excellence for Nurse Practitioners, 9(3), 141–152. , , , & (
- 2004). Advanced practice nursing: Doing what had to be done. In L. A.Joel (Ed.), Advanced practice nursing: Essentials for role development. Philadelphia: F. A. Davis. , , & (
- 2007). Exploring the expanded practice roles of community mental health nurses. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 28(4), 413–429. , , & (
- 2001). Delegated by default or negotiated by need? Physicians, nurse practitioners, and the process of clinical thinking. In E. D.Baer, P.D’Antonio, S.Rinker, & J. E.Lynaugh (Eds.), Enduring issues in American nursing (pp. 309–333). New York: Springer Publishing. (
- 2005). A trial of nurse practitioner scope of practice. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 49(2), 135–145. , & (
- 2002). Confusion prevails in defining “advanced” nursing practice. Collegian: Journal of the Royal College of Nursing, Australia, 9(4), 29–33. , & (
- 1997). Nurses’ and GPs’ views of the nurse prescribers’ formulary. Nursing Standard, 11(22), 33–38. , , , , & (
- 2002). Community mental health nurses and authority to prescribe medications: The way forward? Journal of Psychiatric & Mental Health Nursing, 9(2), 175–182. , & (
- Mental Health Council of Australia. (2005). Not for service: Experiences of injustice and despair in mental health care in Australia. Canberra, ACT: Author.
- 2001). Mental health nurses’ perceptions of nurse prescribing. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 36(4), 527–534. , , , , & (
- Nurses Board of Victoria. (2004). Report from the subcommittee for the establishment of standards for postgraduate courses for division 1 registered nurses that lead to recognition of qualification as a psychiatric nurse. Melbourne, Vic.: Author.
- 2005). Interdisciplinary teamwork and leadership: Issues for psychiatrists. Australasian Psychiatry, 13(3), 234–240. , & (
- 2004). Mental health triage nursing: An Australian perspective. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 11(2), 150–155. (
- 2004). Global perspective on advanced practice. In L. A.Joel (Ed.), Advanced practice nursing: Essentials for role development. Philadelphia: F. A. Davis. (
- Senate Select Committee on Mental Health. (2006). A national approach to mental health—from crisis to community. Canberra, ACT: Australian Government.